PDA

View Full Version : Hed C2 question

Tony
01-28-2014, 11:38 AM
I've had my wheelset, Hed Ardennes LTs. for a week now and really like them. However, there has been a clicking noise coming from the front wheel when 15-25 lbs of pressure is applied. I was able to locate were the noise is coming from on the wheel. I called Hed and explained the situation. He asked me if the noise was coming from the rim directly across from the stem hole, it was. I was informed that the wheel should not have left the company as it was not set properly. There are two small indentations on the inside of the rim that secure a sleeve inside were its joined. I was told that I need to take a punch and hammer and redo/punch those two indentations to secure the sleeve. I did this this morning and it seems to have worked for now.

My question, I've always heard good reports regarding the Hed C2. Fairwheel "HED's Belgium C2 rims are one of our top picks for custom built wheels, and are quite possibly the finest aluminum clincher rims available." Has anyone else experienced this with their C2s?

Kirk Pacenti
01-28-2014, 11:59 AM
The sleeves inside the rim are not structural; they are only there to support the rim during the welding process. Sometimes the dimples are not deep enough to keep the sleeves from rattling loose. Re-stake the dimples and drip some lock tight into the spoke holes adjacent to the weld seam to glue the sleeves in place.

This is a *potential* issue with all welded rims, regardless of brand. All brands have had this happen on occassion; Mavic, Stans, Hed, etc. and not an indication of a defective product. We have had this happen to a few of our rims as well. Fortunately we've just developed a system to keep this from happening to our rims in the future.

It's a simple fix and you can rest assured your wheels will be just fine.

Cheers,
KP

Tony
01-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Thanks Kirk.

I really like these wider rims. I do feel the difference in performance, ride quality with wider wheels. Looking to upgrade my wife's wheelset and plan on 23mm rims. Good to know C2s are still on my list.

Kirk Pacenti
01-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Thanks Kirk.

I really like these wider rims. I do feel the difference in performance, ride quality with wider wheels. Looking to upgrade my wife's wheelset and plan on 23mm rims. Good to know C2s are still on my list.

Or better yet, the Pacenti SL23.

Tony
01-28-2014, 07:52 PM
Or better yet, the Pacenti SL23.

Yes, I have a Pacenti SL23 (R) and a Stans (F) laced to Tune hubs on my C3, very nice! The SL23 would most likely be my first choice for a custom build.

I did a 45 mile ride today on the Hed Ardennes, no clicking! :)
Thanks again for your help.

Vientomas
01-28-2014, 10:11 PM
I had the same issue with a HED C2. Called HED and they told me about the punch 'n hammer fix. No more clicky. They offered to replace the rim but I opted for the self-help. I like the rims. At least I was able to stop the clicky. I had a Mavic 517 mountain bike rim that never stopped clicking until I retired it.

azrider
02-09-2014, 10:53 PM
Tony, glad you got your question answered. If you don't mind i want to tag onto this thread just because it's another C2 question.

Got a set of Ardennes and finally put some miles on them this weekend. So far i'm extremely impressed.....however on my first ride i tried to go at 70 psi and i'm almost positive it was reason i got flat....most likely pinch flat.

So my question is this: what tire pressure are you guys running on these wider rims? Also, these are my daily drivers/trainers and I'm contemplating using some thornless tubes. Does anyone think there'd be an issue using those tubes with wider rim?

Thanks folks.

thwart
02-09-2014, 11:09 PM
Got a set of Ardennes and finally put some miles on them this weekend. So far i'm extremely impressed.....however on my first ride i tried to go at 70 psi and i'm almost positive it was reason i got flat....most likely pinch flat.

So my question is this: what tire pressure are you guys running on these wider rims?

My Hed C2's, with 25 mm Mich Pro3's: 70 psi F, 80 psi R.

But I weigh a puny 150 in season.

BTW, one or two flats total last season.

azrider
02-09-2014, 11:12 PM
My Hed C2's, with 25 mm Mich Pro3's: 70 psi F, 80 psi R.

But I weigh a puny 150 in season.

BTW, one or two flats total last season.

Yeah I'm a meaty 175 so.......there's that

I'm guessing for my weight i should go around 90psi.

Black Dog
02-10-2014, 07:54 AM
if you are running 25c tires then you can go to 80 on the rear and not worry at all. 70-75 on the front will be fine.

dave thompson
02-10-2014, 08:28 AM
At 190lb, I run 25mm tires on my C2 rims at 90~95psi, depending on riding conditions.

Tony
02-10-2014, 09:39 AM
Good to hear to happy with your Ardennes! I also am very pleased with the wheels. I was a little concerned regarding the low spoke count (18) for the front wheel however the wheelset is stiff/strong for their light weight.

At 160 lbs I'm running the pressure at 80-85 psi on and off the pavement, so far no pinch flats, OR clicking : )

azrider
02-10-2014, 09:46 AM
i was a little concerned regarding the low spoke count (18) for the front wheel however the wheelset is stiff/strong for their light weight.

+1

FlashUNC
02-10-2014, 10:01 AM
At 190-200 depending...I'm at the same 90-95 psi level.

No pinch flats so far. Knock on wood...