PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Ideas for wife's 40th bday

tele
01-28-2014, 09:05 AM
I am thinking of ideas for my wife's upcoming 40th birthday. I dont really buy jewelery, but not opposed. She doesnt wear the stuff a lot... Any other ideas for gifts?

Elefantino
01-28-2014, 09:11 AM
Paris.

If not Paris, New York and a Broadway show.

cfox
01-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Anything but a giant party. I have a thing about adult birthday parties. Birthday parties are for little kids. Try to think of something she's always wanted to do but hasn't for whatever reason, even (especially) if she hasn't mentioned it for 10+ years. You will blow her mind for remembering.

AngryScientist
01-28-2014, 09:25 AM
i second the wine+dine idea.

drive down to NYC, get a room. spend $500 on dinner, and do a show. get babysitters. for less than the cost of diamond earings, you'll have a night to remember.

jensenn
01-28-2014, 09:37 AM
can't go wrong with a vacation.

last year i told my girlfriend to pick a place she's always wanted to go to. we ended up staying a week in portugal.

also if you want some time to relax (or ride) on her birthday. you can get her a spa treatment in the day then dinner or whatever in the evening

FlashUNC
01-28-2014, 09:40 AM
i second the wine+dine idea.

drive down to NYC, get a room. spend $500 on dinner, and do a show. get babysitters. for less than the cost of diamond earings, you'll have a night to remember.

I'd second this idea. Get a reservation at Per Se and make a night of it.

fiamme red
01-28-2014, 09:44 AM
If she rides, get her a custom bike. If she doesn't ride, get yourself a custom bike. :)

Mr. Pink
01-28-2014, 09:56 AM
Paris.

If not Paris, New York and a Broadway show.

Or Florence and Tuscany. Just got back from there over Thanksgiving. And it's not bad in the winter, either. Green and no crowds.

Just don't remind her that's she's 40, if you know what I mean. I mean, just once, I guess, then lay on the love.

MattTuck
01-28-2014, 09:57 AM
Yeah, go with the bike idea...:rolleyes:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/30910

bostondrunk
01-28-2014, 10:00 AM
Yep, buy yourself a 'Nago C59. Tell her she can borrow it once in a while. If you really want to make it a special occasion, buy a set of Lightweight wheels too. :)

54ny77
01-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Hah! I did that once, got her/us a custom tandem for anniversary, figuring it's a happy medium to what you described and something we'd both use & enjoy.

WRONG!

Anyone wanna buy a very nice tandem? Mileage: less than 1 mile. :rolleyes:

If she rides, get her a custom bike. If she doesn't ride, get yourself a custom bike. :)

jmoore
01-28-2014, 10:10 AM
Monthly maid service for a year. That way when the maid turns up every month, she will remember and you will get credit.

Trips are always good as well. So are custom bikes.

Idris Icabod
01-28-2014, 10:16 AM
Monthly maid service for a year. That way when the maid turns up every month, she will remember and you will get credit.

Trips are always good as well. So are custom bikes.

Just buy her a Dyson vacuum cleaner, that bugger has so much suction she'll only need to walk it around every couple of days. Every time she uses it she'll think of teh wonderful gift you git her on her special day.:)

maunahaole
01-28-2014, 10:18 AM
London, dinner and a show for the weekend. Hit borough market in the morning on day. Easy to get to from the east coast. No language barrier. I'm supportive of the Paris trip as well, but you need at least a week for Paris and good weather.

jmoore
01-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Just buy her a Dyson vacuum cleaner, that bugger has so much suction she'll only need to walk it around every couple of days. Every time she uses it she'll think of teh wonderful gift you git her on her special day.:)

Women love household appliances as bday presents! Esp. vacuum cleaners.

54ny77
01-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Might as well throw in a digital torque wrench for when she needs to clean/adjust the vacuum. I hear Feedback bike stands work great for mounting the vacuum pole/handle while removing the canister to clean it out, so might as well throw that in there too.

Oh don't forget the ultrasonic parts--errr, I mean jewelry--cleaner.

Women love household appliances as bday presents! Esp. vacuum cleaners.

Fishbike
01-28-2014, 11:06 AM
A special trip is a great idea. That's how I spent my 40th. Loved it. Great memories.

I threw a "First Anniversary of His 40th Birthday" party for my husband. It was great because he did not expect a thing. I even had a dummy initivation for another event sent home as a ruse.

For his 50th I had 50 "presents," mostly silly, little things or things I made. Ok I cheated and counted the 6-pack of sox as 6 (at least not 12). It was fun.

A classic, special piece of jewery is always good -- a nice right hand ring can make a lovely gift.

malbecman
01-28-2014, 11:32 AM
If you want to buy a "thing", I try to buy my wife something that is a little on the lux side for her....something that she maybe has had her eye on or talked about but wouldn't normally spend the $$ on for herself. She's pretty good at self-restraint (thankfully) so its my way of saying Go for it, you deserve it.....

Otherwise, I mostly agree with the others, buy her an experience and memories.

pdmtong
01-28-2014, 12:00 PM
Serious: a trip
Not serious: a tattoo

Go all out but not too far since 50 and 60 will eventually come too
Then again live for today. Tomorrow not guaranteed

torquer
01-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Paris.
Here's what I did for my better half's 50th: 3 packages:
1. Paris Guidebook
2. Envelope of Euros
3. Airline tickets
Paris had the same crummy February weather as NYC (maybe less snow), but for a long weekend, we coped.

tele
01-28-2014, 12:18 PM
I like the idea of a trip, getting to Europe is too far I think since we are both in education.

Opinions on Savanna or Charleston for a long weekend?

vqdriver
01-28-2014, 12:25 PM
not sure where on the "right coast" you are. but if her birthday is coming up a trip somewhere warm and tropical may be a more welcome experience anyway. perhaps socal or florida?

FlashUNC
01-28-2014, 12:26 PM
I like the idea of a trip, getting to Europe is too far I think since we are both in education.

Charleston is one of my favorite places to visit. Would highly recommend it for a getaway. Just not in July or August if you're going in the summer heat.

vqdriver
01-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Hah! I did that once, got her/us a custom tandem for anniversary, figuring it's a happy medium to what you described and something we'd both use & enjoy.

WRONG!

Anyone wanna buy a very nice tandem? Mileage: less than 1 mile. :rolleyes:

the tsunami? i remember that. that was a sweet sweet bike.

54ny77
01-28-2014, 12:35 PM
yup.

makes for a very large dust collector.

it'll get ridden one day, hopefully....

tried to lend it to a couple buddies for masters natz, but the captain was a little too tall for it.

the tsunami? i remember that. that was a sweet sweet bike.

tele
01-28-2014, 12:38 PM
not sure where on the "right coast" you are. but if her birthday is coming up a trip somewhere warm and tropical may be a more welcome experience anyway. perhaps socal or florida?

We are in Western Mass, so Hartford (Bradley) is our airport of choice, though we can do Boston as well.

Ti Designs
01-28-2014, 12:41 PM

I bought my wife a Dyson for her 40'th, divorced less than a year later.

verticaldoug
01-28-2014, 12:46 PM
So many variables:
If she is a beach person,
1. quiet beaches, Anguilla
2. beaches with high end shopping, st Barts

If she wants me time and is a spa person,
1. full or half day escape at spa in Luxury Hotel.
If NYC, Spa at Mandarin Oriental. other cities will have their spots too.
or you both can do a weekend at Canyon Ranch and detox.

Even if she doesn't wear jewelry,
1 ct diamond earrings.

You can also get her the iRobot Vacum for a joke gift before giving her the real gift if you dare .....

dsimon
01-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Tiffany silver is always nice

sixgears
01-28-2014, 01:14 PM

Hmmm ... Hilton Head Island might be nice and Savannah is only about 40 mins. from there so you can always do a day trip to see the sights.

Also, New Orleans could be a good place to visit pre-Mardi Gras. :cool:

pdmtong
01-28-2014, 01:19 PM

memories trump cost

focus on creating a memory

dsimon
01-28-2014, 01:36 PM
I was born and raised on Tybee Island Ga/ Savannah beach I can answer any questions you would like

tiretrax
01-28-2014, 01:52 PM
My thought is to give her something she will have and enjoy. Even though she doesn't wear much jewelry, there's probably something she'd like - earrings, a watch, or a chain and pendant. If none of those appeal, a piece of art (print or photograph), or a nice camera (dslr) if she's into photography. If there's nothing she wants/collects, I'd go with a trip. If Europe is out of the question (you can delay it until April/May), how about the Florida Keys? That's not too difficult to get to from Hartford, Albany, or Boston. The problem with the trip is that it's not just for her (that would be a problem for my wife, unless she got a shopping spree when we were at our destination).

tele
01-28-2014, 02:12 PM
memories trump cost

focus on creating a memory

Its not the cost, its the taking time off work: being school teachers we cant take a week off to go but going during our April vaca is stupid $$.

tele
01-28-2014, 02:13 PM
The problem with the trip is that it's not just for her (that would be a problem for my wife, unless she got a shopping spree when we were at our destination).
good point!

plattyjo
01-28-2014, 02:32 PM
As a woman who's turning 40 next month, we'll be celebrating in Maui by riding up Mt. Haleakala on that day! (My idea :) )

I have to say, while I can't speak for every woman out there, I think buying a vacuum cleaner is a terrible idea - even if it's an awesome Dyson. (My husband actually does the vacuuming in our house and bought one for himself!) I think most people don't want to think about chores on their birthday!

I think just anything that takes into consideration what your wife values -- and not necessarily materialistically -- is important. My husband's totally clueless about what to get me for presents, but when he leaves me notes in my bag that say, "Have a great ride!" -- that means more to me than anything he could buy me.

But I think a weekend getaway, a nice dinner, arts events, surprise party with close friends are all great ideas. Simple thoughtfulness goes a long way, however!

MadRocketSci
01-28-2014, 02:39 PM
i think the whole dyson thing was a joke, but when we got a dyson for a wedding present my wife was super stoked and vacuumed all the time. Granted, this was when dysons were relatively new, but some people just like the look of a perfectly "lined up" carpet....

plattyjo
01-28-2014, 02:44 PM
Well, hopefully no vacuums will be bought as gifts by y'all unless explicitly asked for...Just my PSA for the day! :)

Another nice gift is a spa retreat with massage, facials, etc. Ask your wife's best girlfriend for advice on this!

bking
01-28-2014, 02:58 PM
Well, hopefully no vacuums will be bought as gifts by y'all unless explicitly asked for...Just my PSA for the day! :)

Not even then!! (Or at least not just that, if you do)

sixgears
01-28-2014, 03:06 PM
I like the spa idea above if you can't get away. In fact, you can make it a day for the both of you: couple's massage, facial, etc. :)

Idris Icabod
01-28-2014, 04:08 PM
I have to say, while I can't speak for every woman out there, I think buying a vacuum cleaner is a terrible idea - even if it's an awesome Dyson. (My husband actually does the vacuuming in our house and bought one for himself!) I think most people don't want to think about chores on their birthday!

Yeah, the Dyson idea was a cr@p idea but in my defense I didn't read it was a fortieth birthday celebration. For forty you should buy her a Miele vacuum cleaner, I just looked it up on traditionalgifts.com

tiretrax
01-28-2014, 04:08 PM
Its not the cost, its the taking time off work: being school teachers we cant take a week off to go but going during our April vaca is stupid $$.

OOOPS - as soon as school gets out, then. We took a family vacation to Spain when I was a boy that was arranged through some teachers' organization (I don't know what it was - my father was in the food business - and cheap!). Is there still something out there like that?

Steve in SLO
01-28-2014, 04:18 PM
I vote for the long weekend in a place that you two have memories in common, and perhaps one of these:

http://carolinerocha.com/shop/bracelets

These are leather and Swarovski crystal cuffs, and my wife, is not a super jewelry gal, loves them. They dress down with jeans and dress up with a nice dress. The only problem seems to be picking just one.

plattyjo
01-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Yeah, the Dyson idea was a cr@p idea but in my defense I didn't read it was a fortieth birthday celebration. For forty you should buy her a Miele vacuum cleaner, I just looked it up on traditionalgifts.com

:no:

OtayBW
01-28-2014, 05:25 PM
Get a vasetcomy and reap immediate rewards.

...Well, maybe not immediate. :help:

likebikes
01-28-2014, 06:48 PM

so why not go february vacation instead?

csm
01-28-2014, 06:55 PM
We did the Indy 500 for her 50th. It was her idea!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bcroslin
01-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Paris.

+1

I took my wife to Paris for her 40th birthday and even though it's been 6 months she will still turn, look at me and say "remember when you took me to Paris?"

Do it.

redir
01-28-2014, 09:21 PM

You can't loose with either one of those cities. My wife and I go there once a year, either one. For us it's a 6-8 hour drive. It must be nice to have the cash to go to Paris on a whim but those cities have a very special charm and won't break the bank.

bcroslin
01-28-2014, 09:33 PM
Charleston is a great place to take the wife. Lots of great restaurants and shopping. Lots of history and cool architecture. Hotels are fairly inexpensive which is good because you can easily drop $300 on dinner. Check out Hominy grill for breakfast and Fig for dinner.

pdmtong
01-28-2014, 10:06 PM

I hear you. The only time we could go to Kauai a few years ago was during my daughters feb break. Airline tix were outrageous.

CaliFly
01-29-2014, 03:54 AM
How about a direct flight to Cancun over a 3-day weekend? Sand, sun and her man...makes for a happy wife. Happy wife, happy life.

tele
01-29-2014, 05:57 AM
After a nice conversation with my sister in law, I am inclined to get her a vacuum from QVC (or a diamond ring) for her bday and the trip to either Paris/London or Charleston will be an anniversary type deal.

thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it! :banana:

tiretrax
01-29-2014, 09:31 AM
After a nice conversation with my sister in law, I am inclined to get her a vacuum from QVC (or a diamond ring) for her bday and the trip to either Paris/London or Charleston will be an anniversary type deal.

Seriously, a vacuum? Never get a woman a present with a cord or you'll be selling all you bike stuff here to pay for your divorce. A diamond ring is something every woman secretly wants/appreciates no matter what she says.

pdmtong
01-29-2014, 09:35 AM
Seriously, a vacuum? Never get a woman a present with a cord or you'll be selling all you bike stuff here to pay for your divorce.

thats the kind of mistake you will only make once.

or put anopther way slip up once and pay for life

anyone here seriously recommending a corded electronic product as a gift has lost all credibility

josephr
01-29-2014, 10:45 AM

Took the wifey to Tuscon for Christmas --- plenty of outdoor activities to do and good riding weather to boot.. very affordable too.

Idris Icabod
01-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Took the wifey to Tuscon for Christmas --- plenty of outdoor activities to do and good riding weather to boot.. very affordable too.

Me too! However I live in Tucson so this probably had a bit less cache than your gift.

54ny77
01-29-2014, 01:36 PM
surely your sister in law isn't setting you up to get your arse chewed out. she'd never do that. right?

:p

MadRocketSci
01-29-2014, 01:42 PM
thats the kind of mistake you will only make once.

or put anopther way slip up once and pay for life

anyone here seriously recommending a corded electronic product as a gift has lost all credibility

how bout a roomba/scooba? :)

as for euro locations, forget paris, go rome or vienna....or on the cheap Ljubljana

tiretrax
01-29-2014, 01:58 PM
I've got it - Canary Islands - It's part of Spain, probably not a bad flight from Boston, and you can ride there with some pro teams in February!

redir
01-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Hmmm... Me thinks the sister in law is up to something :eek: :help:

tele
01-29-2014, 02:03 PM
Seriously, a vacuum? Never get a woman a present with a cord or you'll be selling all you bike stuff here to pay for your divorce. A diamond ring is something every woman secretly wants/appreciates no matter what she says.

No, not serious. I might be slow, but not dumb. Unless you ask my wife.

I figure a diamond should buy me some good will until my next bike purchase or screw up.

summilux
01-29-2014, 02:12 PM
How about a tandem? It shows a serious commitment to spending quality time together. My wife is not a cyclist but tandem time is good time for both of us. I'm simply amazed at how much good talking goes on between captain and stoker. Call the bumps, warn about farts, keep the snot rockets down to a minimum and all will be good.

plattyjo
01-29-2014, 02:27 PM
It would be pretty funny to give her a diamond ring buried inside a vacuum box. :)

pdmtong
01-29-2014, 11:36 PM
How about a tandem? It shows a serious commitment to spending quality time together. My wife is not a cyclist but tandem time is good time for both of us. I'm simply amazed at how much good talking goes on between captain and stoker. Call the bumps, warn about farts, keep the snot rockets down to a minimum and all will be good.

"whichever way your relationship is headed you will get there faster on a tandem"

fwiw my wife and I technical single track on a full suspension tandem. best fun ever.

djg
01-30-2014, 06:34 AM
It would be pretty funny to give her a diamond ring buried inside a vacuum box. :)

Yes. And then you and the diamond ring could be buried together inside that vacuum box.

Sometime after you got partway through, "honey, honey, I'm just ki… [thwock]."

To the OP: the trick here, is that you only want advice from people who were there for the 40th, still there for the 50th, but don't imagine themselves to have a sense of humor. And that is a small population my friend.

So, unless one knows that there's a thing she really, really wants, I'd be disinclined to go with a thing. Parties are nice for people who like parties, but even then might not be right if somebody is dreading 40 or otherwise not in the right mood, and they need to be approached in the right way in any case. My wife is not big on parties, but she enjoyed a nice dinner where I had invited a small cohort of her good friends to a restaurant that I knew she would like.

Somebody said Paris, which is never a bad idea if it's actually practicable. My own wife (who is, I'm fairly certain, a different person from yours) would be happy with Paris any time. Paris or someplace warm and sunny. From a lovely dinner locally to a weekend somewhere . . . something together, not pressured, and a bit out of the ordinary.