PDA

View Full Version : Myofascial issues

Zoodles
01-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Anyone else experience mayo facial issues from riding? In my best laymans terms they are knots in the facial tissue.

It manifests as a pain long after normal rest would clear up any soreness and a lack of top end/ inability to go deep even though you have the fitness to do so. It is definitely a limiter in racing situations, say in trying to close that last gap to a break.

Anyways, Im curious how others deal with it and what helps.

Cheers

evo111@comcast.net
01-27-2014, 05:33 PM
I crashed heavy last year with lots of broken spinous processes and transverse processes of the back, shoulder problems etc. Really painful and mobility and flexibilty were terrible. After the initial healing of 3 months, I found a great massage therapist who does myofascial massage therapy. This is really deep massage and at times painful but even after the first session I had noticeable improvement. Multiple sessions and stretching were incredibily helpful. Back on the bike without too many problems or pains.

William
01-27-2014, 07:07 PM
We have covered myofascial release a few times over the years. Always great info to pass around. I remember this one:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=3509&highlight=myofasciala few time

But I'm sure there are others if you search.:)

William

kgreene10
01-28-2014, 10:11 AM
I had no clue what a massive difference myo fascial release can make for what I thought were muscular problems, tendon issues, and flexibility limitations. It's actually pretty mind blowing. I first experienced the really uncomfortable way when my PT started doing what felt like ripping my skin off but was actually just his fingers literally ripping layers of fascia apart!

So a good PT is the best way to do it. In my experience, second best is to use these -- http://www.acucups.com/. Lubricate the skin with moisturizer or, in the shower with soap (works best) and squeeze *all* the air out to make a seal. Then glide the suctioned cup over the skin area, back and forth quite a number of times. Your skin will quickly get very red. Don't worry. It may hurt. You bay bruise. Avoid tendons and the obvious sensitive areas of the body. Use the cups every other day but not every day.

Zoodles
01-28-2014, 11:36 AM
The accou cups look neat, thanks.

Obviously the back, as the other thread focused on, is a great place to start - I've been undergoing specific work on the calves primarily, with some work on the upper leg, mostly with the roller and dry needling.

I don't experience too many issues during training periods such as base aerobic but flare up under heavy or aenorobic training as well as racing. I haven't yet been through a season with my current PT but am hoping for the best