PDA

View Full Version : Serotta identification by serial number

flyhippy
01-27-2014, 03:16 PM
Trying to identify the model of a recent acquisition. From what I can make out, the serial number looks to be "01253". Its labeled as an SLX frame, with possibly a non-original fork (no "S" on the fork crown).

No model name on top tube, all decals just say Serotta

Thanks!

parris
01-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Could you post some photos?

oliver1850
01-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Sure the first digit isn't an 8 (or 6)? That would indicate a 1988 (1986) frameset. Serotta last used SLX on the 1991 NHX, but serial numbers of frames built after 1989 start with a two letter code.

There's a good chance it's a Nova Special X. Novas didn't get the engraved crown of the higher end Clubs and Colorados. Check the steerer, they are usually stamped with the serial number and it's often easier to read there.

No model name decal usually means a repaint, although it could be the original paint if it's a custom color. Serotta didn't have decals made for all models in all colors, so custom colors often got a small Serotta decal on the top tube.

Sidetrack or fastback stays? If fastback and SLX, it's almost certainly a Nova. I know 1989 Nova stays were fastback, but I'm not sure what the first year for them was. In 1986 they were sidetrack on the Novas, but the Colorado was fastback. Kong79 posted that his sidetrack Nova was a 1988, but didn't include the serial number so I wouldn't want to say for sure. Some decent pics of his here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=81898

flyhippy
01-27-2014, 08:50 PM
I'll post photos this evening

flyhippy
01-28-2014, 02:47 PM
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/thepatrickschmidt/DSC_0545.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/thepatrickschmidt/DSC_0547.jpg

Rides great (needs new stem and bar adjustment though) - trying to decide if its best to leave it as is and have a great lock up bike, repaint with the purple coors light team fade, try selling complete, or just part it out.

Anyway - Let me know if anyone knows much about the bike. I thought it was a Colorado, but not sure they ever made them in SLX. Decals are very different from any Special X I've seen...

Thanks!

David Kirk
01-28-2014, 03:31 PM
She's got a bit of sunburn eh?

I don't think it's a Colorado as the seat and down tubes appear to be 1 1/8" from end to end where the Colo tubes would be 1 3/8" at the BB.

I would take the 'SLX' sticker on most any vintage frame, Serotta or otherwise, with a large grain of salt as they are most often lain on top of the paint (and not under the clear) so they can be swapped or added by most anyone at any time.

If the chainstays have an S bend then I would guess it's a NHX built in the early 90's and painted in the Coors Light colors.

I hope that helps.

dave

flyhippy
01-28-2014, 03:41 PM
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/thepatrickschmidt/DSC_0552.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/thepatrickschmidt/DSC_0555.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/thepatrickschmidt/DSC_0548.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/thepatrickschmidt/DSC_0551.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/thepatrickschmidt/DSC_0546.jpg

flyhippy
01-28-2014, 03:50 PM
She's got a bit of sunburn eh?

I don't think it's a Colorado as the seat and down tubes appear to be 1 1/8" from end to end where the Colo tubes would be 1 3/8" at the BB.

I would take the 'SLX' sticker on most any vintage frame, Serotta or otherwise, with a large grain of salt as they are most often lain on top of the paint (and not under the clear) so they can be swapped or added by most anyone at any time.

If the chainstays have an S bend then I would guess it's a NHX built in the early 90's and painted in the Coors Light colors.

I hope that helps.

dave

Definitely some sunburn :)

I posted a few more photos, the stays don't really have much of a bend... that's sort of whats been throwing me.

Any ideas based on serial number?

David Kirk
01-28-2014, 04:24 PM
The serial number would mean almost nothing to me.

It's funny - a few years back I got a call from a guy with a Serotta and he had some questions about it and I did my best to answer them but he wanted more info. He said "well the serial number is xyz123 - do you remember it now?". I laughed and thought he was joking. When I told him that I never even looked at the numbers on the bikes as they weren't important to me to build the bike and that I couldn't remember a single serial number of any bike I ever built there he seemed deflated.......like I must not have cared about it if I didn't remember the number. The fact that I worked on thousands of bikes there over a decade didn't seem to make him feel any better. Oh well - you can't please everyone I guess.

I'd guess your bike to be a 1990ish Nova Special since is has the slight single bend to the stays. If it was smaller than a 56ish frame it usually got SLX and bigger got SPX. But there's zero guarantee on that as stuff got swapped around pretty often.

dave

flyhippy
01-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Think the fork is original?

David Kirk
01-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Think the fork is original?

I see no reason to think it's not - it's got the proper crown so that makes me think it's probably right.

dave

oliver1850
01-28-2014, 07:54 PM
1988 or 1989 Nova Special X with original (custom) paint is my call. I have a repainted 1989 here if you want to compare details.

flyhippy
01-29-2014, 10:39 AM
So I guess now the question becomes is a late 80's Nova Special X really worth spending the money on a new paint job. I'm thinking the F/F would probably bring about $300 on eBay these days (given the condition of the paint).

If I did want to get a nice fade painted back on it, any suggestions, locally or otherwise?

David Kirk
01-29-2014, 11:13 AM
1988 or 1989 Nova Special X with original (custom) paint is my call. I have a repainted 1989 here if you want to compare details.

I'd lean more toward very late 1989 or 1990......possibly early 1991. When I started there in the fall of 1989 we weren't building Coors Light bikes and those colors weren't in use. But by 1991 I think we'd moved to using S bend c-stays on everything and the Nova Special morphed into the NHX (the 'H' standing for Hallanan - a guy who worked with us who first put the second bend in the c-stays to make the S bend and give much needed cassette clearance).

I wish bikes like this were worth more but the simple fact is that they just aren't. To those that ride and enjoy them they are priceless but on the market they seem to fetch little. I doubt you could put money into a repaint and have it end up being worth more. As faded as the paint it I'd pay more for it with original paint than I would a repaint. It's only original once.

dave

oliver1850
01-29-2014, 12:29 PM
Definitely not a 1991, as I'm sure the 2 letter model codes were in use by then. I have a Nova Special (SL tubing) that has the 2 letter code, and it has to be a 1990, because they weren't made in 1991 At least according to the catalog, the NHX was the only constant diameter tube frame left in the line in 1991.

I hadn't thought about when the Coors Light team bikes started, but Dave's recollection is good evidence that this frame is a 1990. I'd previously assumed that the serial 2 letter model code system started with the beginning of 1990 model production, but this frame is evidence that some 1990s were made with the old system. If the first number of the serial is in fact a zero, that is confirmation enough. I'd like to see it.

I agree with Dave about the paint. They are always more desirable to me with the original. I clean up any surface rust on chipped areas and touch them up to prevent more rust issues. The fluorescent colors are impossible to match, but you can use clear to get some protection. The only reason I'd repaint is if there were rust issues that couldn't be contained any other way. If it's spidering around under the paint I would consider a repaint.

As for value or return on investment, you're going to get the most out of it by parting it out as is. Put some time into cleaning and good photography and put everything on ebay.

I would keep the bike as is and enjoy it. The only thing I'd change would be to find a pair of vintage rims: Open 4s, GP4s, Omegas - something of the right vintage. As for locking it up, I'd rather lock up a new Super Record CAAD10. They are replaceable.