PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with "Chrome Shop Inc." in Wisconsin?

Gsinill
01-27-2014, 11:01 AM
All,

I have 2 forks that need to be re-chromed. While I am planning to tackle one myself since it's actually in very good shape and only needs the crown done, the other one needs a lot more work and I am thinking about sending it out to have it done.

The guys that recently stripped the paint of a frame for me recommended a company in Menasha, WI, called "Chrome Shop Inc. (http://www.thechromeshopinc.com/index.html)".
I called them up and the quote of $150 - $200 max. seems pretty good, given that it includes all the prep work like stripping, polishing etc.

Anyone ever heard of or even better worked with them?

I know there is Velocolour in Toronto that a lot of folks had good experience with but first, should I really trust a guy that misspells "color" (just kindling, couldn't help it ;)) and 2nd, I am simply not too keen to ship stuff internationally after all the hassle I had recently...

Thanks,
Guenther

oliver1850
01-27-2014, 01:14 PM
I don't know anything about them.

There's a plating shop in Sterling IL that's been around for 40 years, Quality Plating. Seems to me the local motorcycle guys like a shop in Missouri, but I don't remember which one.

teleguy57
01-27-2014, 01:41 PM
hmm. Never heard of them and that's within 20 min of me -- but I haven't been looking for any chroming services. Let me check with a friend who's into both cars and bikes and see if he has any info.