PDA

View Full Version : Rant about my frozen lock

Coluber42
01-27-2014, 10:19 AM
I've been getting really pissed at my lock. It's this one: http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/ProductInformation.aspx?PNumber=000853
I got it last summer, so this is the first year I've used it in the winter, and it has a bad habit of freezing up on me so that I'll get somewhere and try to open it to lock up my bike, and I can't get it open. Or I get back to my bike and I can't unlock it. I am sure this is because when I come in from outside, water condenses in it, and then I go out again and the condensation freezes. I use this lock every day, and I've only had this problem when it's below 20° out. But I've been bike commuting in all weather for 20 years and I have never had this problem with any other lock I've ever used. I've sprayed various varieties of lubricant into it, and it still happens sometimes. A couple of weeks ago I got to a gig and couldn't get the lock open and had to bring my bike inside (which fortunately I was able to do). Last night I got back to my bike after dinner with some friends and I finally managed to get it unlocked by blowing into the keyhole for awhile. But standing around on the sidewalk in 16° weather blowing into my bike lock was not really what I wanted to be doing at that moment.

I'm not really expecting any help with it, particularly... just griping, really. ;)
[/rant]

AngryScientist
01-27-2014, 10:27 AM
get a can of this stuff to keep with you on frigid days. no bigger than a pack of gum and works great. the locks on my old chevy used to really freeze up in the winter and this stuff works like a charm.

http://static.hardwarestore.com/media/product/281014_front500.jpg

Anarchist
01-27-2014, 10:40 AM
A Bic lighter of some graphite dust.

Bic lighter is cheap and easy to carry.

fiamme red
01-27-2014, 10:46 AM
I once had a Kryptonite key break off in the lock as I was getting my bike for the commute home (on a dry summer day). It cost me $100 in locksmith fees. I've switched to On Guard locks and have been happy.

blessthismess
01-27-2014, 11:11 AM

blessthismess
01-27-2014, 11:12 AM
A little Chain lube in the key hole works pretty well on the fly ...

Ken Robb
01-27-2014, 11:22 AM
WD-40 was designed as a W ater D isplacement formula so a quick shot after or before a cold ride might solve the problem with something you probably already have on hand.

Coluber42
01-27-2014, 01:12 PM
I've gotten it open with WD-40 a couple of times. I've also tried thicker stuff, in hopes that the water doesn't just get displaced but actually stays displaced, but it still froze. I don't like having to carry extra crap around on my commuter; I just want to grab it and go. I guess I probably do have to start carrying around a can of something since it's become a regular problem. I guess that's what the bottle cage is for. :P