PDA

View Full Version : Lemond Revmaster for indoor training?

thirdgenbird
01-26-2014, 03:17 PM
A lemond revmaster classic recently popped up for sale locally. It is advertised as lightly used and the pictures support that. It also includes the optional computer.

Does anyone have experience with these? If I put a nicer saddle and keo pedal on it, would it make for reasonable indoor training? I would rather sweat on this than either of my steel road bikes.

My wife likes the idea of having a spin bike that is likely quieter than a road bike in a trainer.

fiamme red
01-26-2014, 07:25 PM
My wife likes the idea of having a spin bike that is likely quieter than a road bike in a trainer.Maybe you should look for another spin bike then. I've heard that these are very noisy.

thirdgenbird
01-26-2014, 07:27 PM
The lemond revolution is ear splitting.

The lemond revmaster is supposed to be the quietest thing going.

JasonF
01-26-2014, 07:35 PM
The Revmaster has been by far the best indoor fitness piece of equipment I've ever owned (and between my wife and I, we've owned a lot).

It's completely silent and my wife and I use it daily during the winter. Since it's infinitely adjustable, I have tried to match my road bike's contact points and even use the same saddle and Look Keo pedals on the Revmaster.

Every once in a while I flirt with getting something like a Wahoo Kickr but the Revmaster is really all I need. If you need to measure watts, etc...then you'll need to get a different trainer.

In the 10 years we've owned it, it has been 100% reliable and have never had it serviced. It's probably overdue for a BB overhaul and I should check the drive belt but so far it's been perfect.

fiamme red

The lemond revmaster is supposed to be the quietest thing going.Sorry, I confused the two.

AngryScientist

The lemond revmaster is supposed to be the quietest thing going.

i cant speak to the lemond, but i use a spin bike at the gym all the time. i'll check the brand next time i'm there, but it is dead silent. the spin bikes are all in the "spin room", and when i'm in there alone, the bike itself is so quiet, it's almost disturbing how loud i can hear myself huffing and puffing between songs on the ipod. seriously, quiet machines.

thirdgenbird
01-26-2014, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback Jason. The asking price is $550, my gut tells me to try $450. Does that sound reasonable?

JasonF
01-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback Jason. The asking price is $550, my gut tells me to try $450. Does that sound reasonable?

I'm sure the seller wouldn't turn you away if you handed him $450. After all, it's probably been acting as a glorified clothes hanger for some time now.

Check to make sure that the leather pad that provides resistance against the flywheel has some material left, check for play in the crank arms, and make sure all contact points adjust properly. Finally, get on the thing and push down hard on the pedals, if you detect slippage the belt could be worn and due for replacement.

Good luck!

thirdgenbird
01-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Think I should try lower? The seller makes it sound like it really has not been used but I will be sure to make those inspections.

JasonF
01-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Think I should try lower? The seller makes it sound like it really has not been used but I will be sure to make those inspections.

Sure, why not. Unless the guy is a total jerk and gets offended, the worst he can say is no, or negotiates with you.

R3awak3n
01-26-2014, 09:15 PM
You can probably offer him less. I googled revmaster to see what it looked like and got this:

http://www.bigfitness.com/reincyumico.html?gclid=CIDPwtWxnbwCFURnOgodGT4Asg

Peter P.
01-26-2014, 10:04 PM
They're running on eBay as well for a similar price, $500. That's about 1/2 new retail, and considering the amount of material vs. a trainer, I'd say the Revmaster is a bargain.

I've used a similar product in spin classes; they're whisper quiet.

The only drawback is they're heavy, so don't expect to move them around.

And if you want them to last, wipe them off with a wet rag after you sweat on them. Otherwise they'll rust like any other steel will.

Another thing to consider; will your wife be using it as well and does she require a different pedal system? Changing pedals can be a hassle.

thirdgenbird
01-26-2014, 11:24 PM
We are both using keos. I will need to pick up another set, but there won't be any need to swap.