PDA

View Full Version : venting about winter 2013-14 (this could be sticky worthy)

thwart
01-26-2014, 09:52 AM
This is what's here today, I'd really, really like to be gone tomorrow.

Forecast: wind chills headed down to -45 F for the next couple of days… schools closing again… welcome to polar vortex v.2.

It's to the point that the other day when it was 11 degrees and sunny, it felt sort of (shudder) balmy… :help:

Steve in SLO
01-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Counterpoint:
Sorry, Thwart I have no place in complaining, but we in CA have been blessed/cursed with balmy days in the 70s for as long as I can remember.
No rain, and wonderful biking weather. Sounds great but come spring we will pay in water restrictions and wildfires. I fear for our forests. Driving through grasslands and forest last weekend, it was worse than dry...it was a tinderbox.

thwart
01-26-2014, 10:22 AM
Steve, no doubt this winter has been a challenge for many, in different ways.

For example: these robins using our heated bird bath this morning are apparently over-wintering (very unusual, as in this area the first robin sighted is usually a harbinger of spring).

Looks like the one furthest on the left might be saying something like "whose stupid idea was this, anyway?" :rolleyes:

ceolwulf
01-26-2014, 10:29 AM
Blizzard in Manitoba today.

Again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gomango
01-26-2014, 10:46 AM
Blizzard in Manitoba today.

Again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same here in St. Paul.

Blizzard warnings today for most of the state, then the real nasty stuff starts.

-17 is the forecast for tomorrow morning, -21 for Tuesday morning. Plus the wind chill we could be looking at -40 to -50 for the next few days.

I teach middle school math in Roseville here and we have already had three weather related school closures. We may be looking at two more unfortunately.

I love to ride mtbs in the winter, but I'm not risking it when it's this ridiculous out there.

DoubleButted
01-26-2014, 11:02 AM
Even before polar vortex 1, we had a 12 consecutive days with highs below 15°. After a brief warmup, it's gotten even colder. We've been a bit warmer than those in southern UP and northern Wisconsin due to the moderating effect of Superior, but if (when) that freezes over it will be brutal.

PBWrench
01-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Mango - Go West young man!
:)

kykr13
01-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Just south of the Wisconsin line, and the balmy temp of 22 right now is as good as it gets through at least Thursday. We're headed down almost 50 degrees by tomorrow morning...

Why? Why would a reasonably sane person live here? Or me?

etu
01-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Counterpoint:
Sorry, Thwart I have no place in complaining, but we in CA have been blessed/cursed with balmy days in the 70s for as long as I can remember.
No rain, and wonderful biking weather. Sounds great but come spring we will pay in water restrictions and wildfires. I fear for our forests. Driving through grasslands and forest last weekend, it was worse than dry...it was a tinderbox.

Definitely not much to complain about here in CA, but...
Out riding in Marin and Point Reyes yesterday. This time of the year, the hills are usually covered with green grass and sprinkling of wild flowers. Not so this year. Everything is brown except right by the coast. It eerily feels like I am back in the LA area.
We're enjoying the great riding weather, but I think most of us have mixed feelings about it for all the considerations mentioned by Steve.

Vientomas
01-26-2014, 11:54 AM
I am used to putting my bikes away for at least a couple of months during the winter and spending my free time alpine, back country and cross country skiing. On average, there are 70 inches of snowfall each year in town, so far this year there have been a total of 8 inches. Instead we have high pressure, low temperatures, air stagnation, fog and hoarfrost. Needless to say, this has been a poor winter for skiing thus far, I have not gone once.

I did manage to get a ride in on January 20 when the sun made an appearance the temperature rose above 32 degrees. I can't remember the last time I rode in January.

The bright side of the equation is that I was recently in Baja for 30 days during a record setting period of days with 20+ mph winds. I windsurfed almost everyday in 70+ degree weather. The wind was primarily the result of a persistent high pressure area over the 4 corners region of the South West U.S.

So, this winter has a bit of a ying and yang feel for me.

teleguy57
01-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Thwart, where in WI are you? In Appleton we're going through the same cycles of snow, then blowing and cold.

Got out Fri for 1:45 classic xc skiing, then out again this morning for 1:30 and it was gorgeous. For me at this time of year I think both a physical change (skiing and gym time) and mental change is good for me. While I'm on the rollers a couple of time a week with Sufferfest videos I think any more than that I would probably get stale by mid-season.

But it would be nice to be able to get out on the roads a little!

Good news is that I'm getting to experiment with clothing while skiing, and I'm sold on my ShowersPass softshell trainer and Roadie pants. If they work this well for skiiing they'll be great for cold-weather biking once the roads are safe to ride.

gomango
01-26-2014, 12:41 PM

A real Minnesotan! :)

They grow them wimpier on this side of town, although I did go cross country skiing for two hours this morning.

I get to play soccer in an indoor dome this afternoon. Should be a balmy 50 degrees or so in there.

Climb01742
01-26-2014, 01:05 PM
Not as cold here as in the upper Midwest but 10 day forecast calls for lows in single digits and highs not above 30. I'm ready to quote Roberto Duran, 'No mas, no mas.'

verticaldoug
01-26-2014, 01:19 PM

They grow them wimpier on this side of town, although I did go cross country skiing for two hours this morning.

I get to play soccer in an indoor dome this afternoon. Should be a balmy 50 degrees or so in there.

I miss the extreme cold of Minnesota. I really don't see what you are complaining about. You have the heat island effect in the Twin Cities. Go north to International Falls or Embarrass. Record High in International falls is 103 (39) and record low -55 (-48) for a delta of 158 degrees. That's living.

Although I think the official record is at Tower. -64f (-53)

The Arrowhead Ultra starts Monday morning at 7 a.m. in International Falls. Forecast low is -28 tonight and -31 Monday Night. Should make for an interesting race. http://www.arrowheadultra.com/index.php
I love the race slogan - Show up and suffer.

Toughen up guys

velotrack
01-26-2014, 01:31 PM
It's rained perhaps 4-5 times in the past half year in Alameda/East Bay. Can't tell if I'm exaggerating or not on this one, but it's been in the 60's-70's most to all of December and January as of now.

It's a little concerning, actually.

Fixed
01-26-2014, 01:52 PM
Definitely not much to complain about here in CA, but...
Out riding in Marin and Point Reyes yesterday. This time of the year, the hills are usually covered with green grass and sprinkling of wild flowers. Not so this year. Everything is brown except right by the coast. It eerily feels like I am back in the LA area.
We're enjoying the great riding weather, but I think most of us have mixed feelings about it for all the considerations mentioned by Steve.

The waether is great I do love riding here it is perfect :)
but I was expecting rain in the winter when I bought a commuter/ fat tire do it all bike that takes fenders ..
Cheers

vqdriver
01-26-2014, 02:15 PM
LA is dry. we just had a brush fire a couple weeks back with the santa anas kicking in. not normally what one would correlate with january/december. no precipitation in the city. no snow in the mountains. this is not good.
water restrictions are almost a certainty.

Ralph
01-26-2014, 02:26 PM
I've been to Coeur d'Alene and surrounding area. Simply beautiful, with all those deep water lakes, etc. My brother, with NASA, did research there with the Navy on Lake Ponderay(sp). Have thought about going back sometime and riding the trail between there and Spokane. Lots of history.

carlucci1106
01-26-2014, 02:37 PM

Just moved up here to Brainerd from New Mexico in December. Don't know how to nordic ski and don't have a fatbike for those 20-30 deg "warmups"

A trainer seems like a must for next winter.

likebikes
01-26-2014, 02:46 PM
but 10 day forecast calls for lows in single digits and highs not above 30. I'm ready to quote Roberto Duran, 'No mas, no mas.'

I'm not sure I understand the problem, this is perfectly seasonable weather!

merckx
01-26-2014, 03:02 PM
You need the correct perspective.

wildboar
01-26-2014, 03:13 PM
Same here in St. Paul.

Blizzard warnings today for most of the state, then the real nasty stuff starts.

-17 is the forecast for tomorrow morning, -21 for Tuesday morning. Plus the wind chill we could be looking at -40 to -50 for the next few days.

I teach middle school math in Roseville here and we have already had three weather related school closures. We may be looking at two more unfortunately.

I love to ride mtbs in the winter, but I'm not risking it when it's this ridiculous out there.

This is always fun to check out:

http://hint.fm/wind/

Frankwurst
01-26-2014, 03:30 PM
TONIGHT
Snow Likely Chance for Measurable Precipitation 70%
Snow
Likely
Low: -14 °F

MONDAY
Blowing Snow Chance for Measurable Precipitation 10%
Blowing
Snow
High: -13 °F

And it goes on like this for the rest of the week in the land of the great chill factor. I normally like winter but I'm sick of this one and my liver is to. Cheers!

zmudshark
01-26-2014, 04:01 PM
Dear Mr Thwart,

You turned down your chance, so suck it up.

Your Pal,
zMud

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Phoenix+AZ+85032:4:US

Anarchist
01-26-2014, 04:11 PM
I've been to Coeur d'Alene and surrounding area. Simply beautiful, with all those deep water lakes, etc. My brother, with NASA, did research there with the Navy on Lake Ponderay(sp). Have thought about going back sometime and riding the trail between there and Spokane. Lots of history.

Pend Oreille

DoubleButted
01-26-2014, 04:18 PM
I am loving this cold. By Tuesday, Hell will be frozen over, and my wife said I could get a new bike then.:beer:

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp25/bruceolson/frozenHell.jpg (http://s394.photobucket.com/user/bruceolson/media/frozenHell.jpg.html)

thwart
01-26-2014, 04:50 PM
Dear Mr Thwart,

You turned down your chance, so suck it up.

Your Pal,
zMud

Ah, only a friend can stick that dagger in even deeper.

Ouch.

JAGI410
01-26-2014, 05:02 PM
Blizzard here too. No travel advisory and the interstates are closed. It's -1F, 33mph winds with 45mph gusts....and I just got home from a bike race. Finished 5th in the Fat Bike category! Winter is what you make of it. I refuse to hide indoors all winter. Gear up and go riding!

zmudshark
01-26-2014, 05:33 PM
I am loving this cold. By Tuesday, Hell will be frozen over, and my wife said I could get a new bike then.:beer:

Being from the area near Hell, I have it on reliable sources it's been frozen over for some time. The lower part of the LP is having an UP type of Winter:fight:

Uncle Jam's Army
01-26-2014, 05:36 PM
I feel for you guys. I've ridden in shorts and short sleeve jerseys the last two mornings here in Southern California.

Vientomas
01-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Pend Oreille

I blame the French.

SpeedyChix
01-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Being from the area near Hell, I have it on reliable sources it's been frozen over for some time. The lower part of the LP is having an UP type of Winter:fight:

It's been a winter's winter. Much like a UP winter. Lots of snow but the wind, temps and road conditions have made getting out for xc skiing a challenge.
You're in a MUCH better place for winter ; )

Netdewt
01-26-2014, 08:30 PM

Looks like you live very close to me.

Schools closing again Monday - what I wouldn't give for single digits!

Netdewt
01-26-2014, 08:36 PM
I miss the extreme cold of Minnesota. I really don't see what you are complaining about. You have the heat island effect in the Twin Cities. Go north to International Falls or Embarrass. Record High in International falls is 103 (39) and record low -55 (-48) for a delta of 158 degrees. That's living.

The Arrowhead Ultra starts Monday morning at 7 a.m. in International Falls. Forecast low is -28 tonight and -31 Monday Night. Should make for an interesting race. http://www.arrowheadultra.com/index.php

Toughen up guys

This is true. But, it is a local past time to complain about the weather.

I have a few friends who will still be biking to work on Monday. In some ways I wish I was doing that also.

MattTuck
01-26-2014, 08:40 PM
Yeah, the cold sucks.

But the CA drought is way more scary. The US gets a huge amount of its agricultural production from the CA central valley. From what I heard on the radio, a lot of that is at risk if the drought continues... so it could have a nationwide effect.

That is to say nothing of the risk of wildfire.

majorpat
01-26-2014, 09:00 PM
The CA drought got me thinking. People moved to places with good weather but not much water so we moved the water to them, now that seems to be getting slightly less dependable and more expensive.

kenw
01-26-2014, 11:46 PM
Checked the temperatures in Alaska lately?

stien
01-27-2014, 06:16 AM
I usually end up with a new bike or two during the winter months :-)

I just got some studded tires for my old rigid rock Hopper so I'm loving this winter!

Sent from my jitterbug.

Bkat
01-27-2014, 10:46 AM
'Nuff said.

bking
01-27-2014, 12:43 PM
I'm a desert rat. I've said for many years that if they'd put me in charge i'd draw a line across the country (they're building a fence along the border with Mexico, i could have a line drawn) just below Denver.
Everything north of that would be National Parks and KOA campgrounds--but with really nice toilets and showers. All the people would live south of that line. Humans shouldn't be up there during the winter unless they're on vacation with ski's.

dogdriver
01-27-2014, 12:50 PM
I feel 'yer pain. Things are annoyingly balmy in Utah (where we actually WANT winter). Work, however, took me to Detroit during Polar Vortex V1 and, while walking around an airplane, I realized that I was going to die if I didn't get inside in 5 minutes. My heart goes out to all in the north/east.

sixgears
01-27-2014, 01:00 PM
I had enough!

We escaped without so much as a flurry the past couple of years here in NJ so I guess we were due for a bad winter.

Sucks for the Super Bowl! hehehe :fight:

ik2280
01-27-2014, 01:01 PM
Don't understand how you Midwesterners can handle weather that cold for so long. The winters in NYC are nearly more than I can bear, thinking I might have to move to the South, or CA, eventually.

gomango
01-27-2014, 01:24 PM

Toughen up guys

Not so interested in toughening up, to be honest.

Fwiw Our cabin is on the edge of the BWCA near Ely.

We were up there a couple of weeks ago when the first blast came through with morning temps hovering around -30.

We are near one of the better Lake Trout/Splake lakes in the area.

I fished for three hours and caught two nice Lake Trout, one of which was 11 pounds.

I have never been so cold as that morning. The two mile walk back to the road was brutal.

Even with goggles, my eyelashes had frozen together and my beard had become one with my balaclava.

All told, I was outside for just under five hours in that cold.

So, toughen up?

Whatever.

That's speaking Minnesotan dontcha' know. :)

Bkat
01-27-2014, 01:45 PM
Not so interested in toughening up, to be honest.

Fwiw Our cabin is on the edge of the BWCA near Ely.

We were up there a couple of weeks ago when the first blast came through with morning temps hovering around -30.

We are near one of the better Lake Trout/Splake lakes in the area.

I fished for three hours and caught two nice Lake Trout, one of which was 11 pounds.

I have never been so cold as that morning. The two mile walk back to the road was brutal.

Even with goggles, my eyelashes had frozen together and my beard had become one with my balaclava.

All told, I was outside for just under five hours in that cold.

So, toughen up?

Whatever.

That's speaking Minnesotan dontcha' know. :)

When it comes to winter, Minnesotans, and upper Midwesterners in general, are tough enough already. No need for a race to prove it. And for our warm weather brothers and sisters, tough and smart are two different things.;)

Netdewt
01-27-2014, 01:49 PM
Checked the temperatures in Alaska lately?

I believe they are unseasonably warm this year. Last I looked.

Lewis Moon
01-27-2014, 01:58 PM
Heh....that's all I have to say.

You can harrass me come the middle if June.

zap
01-27-2014, 02:09 PM
I'm off to south Florida Saturday morning.

Bike….check.
New bibs…..check
New jersey's……check
Lid…..check
Water bottles…..check.

and

sunscreen. :banana:

thwart
01-27-2014, 06:16 PM
I'm off to south Florida Saturday morning.

Bike….check.
New bibs…..check
New jersey's……check
Lid…..check
Water bottles…..check.
Fellow Forumite…..check.

and

sunscreen. :banana:

Fixed it for ya.

Hmmm… think I can come up with a volunteer… :banana::banana:

Tandem Rider
01-27-2014, 06:31 PM
Since the title said vent...
Just got home from work, outside, on a roof. Actual temp started out at -5, thankfully, it warmed up to 0. Building is on the Mississippi river, wind across the river was 20 to 25 mph. National Weather Service says wind chill about -30. Took over an hour in the truck on the way home with the heater blowing on my feet for them to thaw out.

Tomorrow will be even colder, predicting -20.

I've played in it and work in it. It's a lot harder to work in it than play in it. Anyone who thinks it's they are the same is welcome to walk their talk and join me. I'm old and done with "toughen up", time for a scotch.

Frankwurst
01-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Since the title said vent...
Just got home from work, outside, on a roof. Actual temp started out at -5, thankfully, it warmed up to 0. Building is on the Mississippi river, wind across the river was 20 to 25 mph. National Weather Service says wind chill about -30. Took over an hour in the truck on the way home with the heater blowing on my feet for them to thaw out.

Tomorrow will be even colder, predicting -20.

I've played in it and work in it. It's a lot harder to work in it than play in it. Anyone who thinks it's they are the same is welcome to walk their talk and join me. I'm old and done with "toughen up", time for a scotch.

I hear you and if Tandem Rider can't change your thought process you're welcome to come spend a little time on the top of a greenhouse with me trying to get snow and ice to slide so you can get some sunlight in. Toughen up my a$$. Time for a BIG Vodka drink.:beer:

avalonracing
01-27-2014, 07:15 PM
I'm cold.
I have a cold.
I refuse to ride on salty, icy road at below freezing temps.
I refuse to ride my trainer or rollers... Because I hate them.
I losing more fitness by the second.
I'm going to pay for this loss in fitness in April when I'm getting my ass handed to me by less capable but more hearty riders.
Screw this winter.

gomango
01-27-2014, 07:25 PM
Looks like you live very close to me.

Schools closing again Monday - what I wouldn't give for single digits!

...and Tuesday.

Just got my call.

Don't report for duty.

The middle schoolers will have to survive another day without their favorite ( and only ) math teacher. :)

Louis
01-27-2014, 07:36 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/wa/zzaran/doom.gif

buldogge
01-27-2014, 11:05 PM
Couldn't take it any longer…first bike commute in a week…a balmy 14deg with a windchill around 4.

It really wasn't that bad…little cold in the evening at the ends of my toes…cold around the eyes/nose opening of the balaclava…really that's about it.

Only 8 miles each way of course!

Back at it tomorrow…rising to 20...then 34…then 44, before wintry mix/rain of Friday.

-Mark in St. Louis

Louis
01-27-2014, 11:40 PM
Couldn't take it any longer…first bike commute in a week…a balmy 14deg with a windchill around 4.

So, you've been wimping out? ;) [as I duck for cover]

AngryScientist
01-28-2014, 06:13 AM
this weather is awful.

i'm a wimp when it comes to the weather and i fully admit that.

anyone in so-cal want to adopt me?

this is definitely sticky worthy!

zmudshark
01-28-2014, 04:01 PM
Not that bad today, a bit of a breeze, but liveable. Traffic was a bit heavy. We saw two cars on this road today.:banana:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-RHNtqjNykPE/Uugn6-fqi4I/AAAAAAAAJoM/F4Hwycu1vQ0/s800/P1050586.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ezoz4SY32Gs/Uugn8H1ZMfI/AAAAAAAAJoU/9elUUiPSF1U/s800/P1050589.JPG

:fight:

Louis
01-28-2014, 05:04 PM
Not that bad today, a bit of a breeze, but liveable. Traffic was a bit heavy. We saw two cars on this road today.:banana:

I hope you're bitten in the ankle by a scorpion. ;)

buldogge
01-28-2014, 05:08 PM
Yes...and the trainer sucks worse than the cold.

-Mark

So, you've been wimping out? ;) [as I duck for cover]

zmudshark
01-28-2014, 05:58 PM

Scorpions can't jump, can they?

thwart
01-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Do they attack their own kind? ;)

zmudshark
01-28-2014, 07:14 PM
Do they attack their own kind? ;)

Sadly, yes, they do.

gomango
01-29-2014, 04:58 AM
Finally back to work today after having our school district shut down Monday and Tuesday.

Brutal cold here, but should be a balmy 20 degrees here today.

I feel like I won the lottery.

Fwiw I just shipped a bike down to my parents' house near Austin, Tx.

I decided I need a sanity break and will fly down for an extended weekend of bbq and riding. Kids and wife are too busy, so this is a solo.

I love riding the Loop and this year would be especially sweet.

Heck, maybe I'll drive down to the Gulf for a little surf fishing while I am at it.

verticaldoug
01-29-2014, 08:55 AM
The results for the ArrowheadUltra are in:
Bike
20h11m Jay Petervary of Idaho.

Run
43h26m Scott Hoberg of Minnesota

The start of the race on Monday the low was -31 with daytime high of -26.
Tuesday night was again -31 with a balmy -21 for daytime high.

135 miles in that. Did we mention the wind?

D

Tandem Rider
02-06-2014, 07:45 PM
I think I have just realized that Dante got it all wrong. It's cold there, not hot.

Not sure how much more of this I can stand. Another day on the roof, -8* F, 15-20 mph wind. Looks like it might warm up to 20 on Saturday, 80% chance of more white s&$t. Sunday it goes well below 0 again and the wind picks up to rearrange it all over.

I don't mind a few days of snow and cold but this is ridiculous. To heck with fitness, I'm just trying to get out alive.

Time to relocate, about 1000 miles south.

Done whining.

thwart
02-06-2014, 08:00 PM
I'm just trying to get out alive.

Yep. High of 6 degrees here today with a steady -15 to -20 wind chill.

As someone posted earlier… 'no mas, no mas' :help:

Netdewt
02-06-2014, 08:53 PM
I can only survive by remembering that I don't live in Verkhoyansk, Russia.

SpeedyChix
02-06-2014, 09:03 PM
I think I have just realized that Dante got it all wrong. It's cold there, not hot.

Not sure how much more of this I can stand. Another day on the roof, -8* F, 15-20 mph wind. Looks like it might warm up to 20 on Saturday, 80% chance of more white s&$t. Sunday it goes well below 0 again and the wind picks up to rearrange it all over.

I don't mind a few days of snow and cold but this is ridiculous. To heck with fitness, I'm just trying to get out alive.

Time to relocate, about 1000 miles south.

Done whining.

Agree about the endless cold and wind.

re Dante and cold from the lit crew,
The center of Hell (the 9th Circle in Dante’s Inferno) was a sea of ice with Satan at the center chewing on souls of the worst sinners.

Here’s the scene as depicted in an illustration from Gustave Dore and a still from a 1911 Italian film L’Inferno with Virgil leading Dante to the frozen center of it all.

To surviving winter!

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t137/RiverKnife/Forum%20Help%20Images/Satan_GustaveDoreacute_zpse3d679d8.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t137/RiverKnife/Forum%20Help%20Images/Dante_Virgil_Satan_zps21c9ea12.png

zmudshark
02-06-2014, 10:17 PM
My grand daughter rode today in MI:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bf0HYB_CYAAKyJL.jpg:large

SpeedyChix, her mother bought your DeSalvo.

SpeedyChix
02-06-2014, 10:29 PM
My grand daughter rode today in MI:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bf0HYB_CYAAKyJL.jpg:large

SpeedyChix, her mother bought your DeSalvo.

Most excellent! Great to see her start early and that she's off to a great start.

PaMtbRider
02-07-2014, 07:53 AM
Ok, I'll pile on. Not only is it cold, there is also too much ice to ride. If that isn't enough We were out of power for 36 hours over the last 2 days. The $1000 spent on a generator yesterday would have gone a long way towards the Pugsley in the classified ads.:mad:

DoubleButted
02-08-2014, 08:07 AM
No power in this cold sucks.

The prolonged cold is pushing the frost so deep that many people around here are having their water supply freeze. I know of at least 3 entire towns that are asking residents to leave a pencil sized stream of water running 24/7 until April or further notice. Nice juxtaposition to California's problems.:rolleyes:

To add insult to injury, our local weatherman is salivating with the possibility of breaking several all time records. We have a daily countdown till we hit the record number of days since we were above freezing (72), number of days below 0 (52) etc. A typical forecast is "Only 7 more days till we hit that record. GO COLD!"
eff dat. Someone turn on the heat. @Speedy - Love the Dante's Inferno illustrations.

Tandem Rider
02-08-2014, 08:23 AM
Agree about the endless cold and wind.

re Dante and cold from the lit crew,
The center of Hell (the 9th Circle in Dante’s Inferno) was a sea of ice with Satan at the center chewing on souls of the worst sinners.

Here’s the scene as depicted in an illustration from Gustave Dore and a still from a 1911 Italian film L’Inferno with Virgil leading Dante to the frozen center of it all.

To surviving winter!

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t137/RiverKnife/Forum%20Help%20Images/Satan_GustaveDoreacute_zpse3d679d8.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t137/RiverKnife/Forum%20Help%20Images/Dante_Virgil_Satan_zps21c9ea12.png

I see that Dante DID get it right.

That looks like the dude I thought was crazy for ice fishing on the river when it was that cold...

William
02-08-2014, 08:27 AM
Oh no!!!! There is snow on the ground!!!! One whole inch of SNOW!!!! AAAAHHHHHHHHH..........

Tandem Rider
02-08-2014, 08:28 AM
It's single digits again I mean still.
It's snowing again.
Sideways.
Again.

Germany_chris
02-08-2014, 08:41 AM
It's 37 today in southern Germany

Sent from my newest gadget I'm either on the bike or in the Jeep

zap
02-08-2014, 09:14 AM
Ah, 80 degrees and sunny…….earlier this week in south Florida. Met some lovely people from all over the world riding up and down A1A.

Bike was a rental…..I really need to purchase a travel bike.

Anyhow, I'm back in the cold (though no snow in D.C. metro) and getting ready to see if the warm weather miles has increased wattage or not…..on my Computrainer :help:

William
02-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Looking like we might have to plow some more Sunday night.:roll eyes:

William

Antonio_B
02-09-2014, 07:15 AM
Group ride today! On trainers, as it's 12 degrees outside. Somebody kill me.

weisan
02-09-2014, 07:34 AM
I feel my brothers' pain, wish I could alleviate some of it to a certain extent....it was 66 high yesterday, and it's supposed to hit 71 today. :bike:

Tandem Rider
02-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Here's something positive for a change...
the temperature!!!

It wont last until bedtime though.

Someone better tell Weisan he needs to fill up his refrigerator, I'll be down shortly... ;^)

weisan
02-09-2014, 08:35 PM
It got to a whopping 76! :eek:
I stand corrected. :)

Tandem-pal, come on down, I was waiting for you at the door...

earlfoss
02-10-2014, 07:36 AM
It's -10 F again this morning in Madison, WI for what seems like the 3rd week in a row.

I glued some Paves to my Nemesis wheelset yesterday out of boredom and partly to create some kind of cosmic mojo/passive aggressive "get outta here" to the weather. It was my sun dance.

Tandem Rider
02-11-2014, 12:22 PM
-18 yesterday and again this morning, another record for this date. I have been doing this since 1978 and I can't remember a winter this tough.

AngryScientist
02-12-2014, 06:03 AM
and the NYC area is bracing for yet another storm, worst winter i can remember, certainly.

AngryScientist
02-12-2014, 06:06 AM
-18 yesterday and again this morning, another record for this date. I have been doing this since 1978 and I can't remember a winter this tough.

that is insanely cold, i dont know that i've ever experienced any tems quite that low. question for you and others in the really cold climates:

how are your home heating systems keeping up? what about cars and trucks? must be a little difficult to get the engines to turn over that far below zero? what other odd anomalies pop up when the weather dips that low, or are you guys out there just used to the brutal cold?

William
02-12-2014, 06:23 AM
... what about cars and trucks? must be a little difficult to get the engines to turn over that far below zero? what other odd anomalies pop up when the weather dips that low, or are you guys out there just used to the brutal cold?

Two words: Block heater!

William

William
02-12-2014, 06:45 AM
Braaaaaaaaaaaaaap!:cool:

thwart
02-12-2014, 07:26 AM
how are your home heating systems keeping up?

We've been spared, but the big thing around here has been broken water pipes and water mains. Most of you may recall that water expands when it freezes…

So several local communities are recommending keeping a faucet open. As a matter of fact 'a pencil thick stream of water' is competing with 'polar vortex' for the phrase of the season. :help: :help: :help:

christian
02-12-2014, 07:47 AM
9d F in Chappaqua. Expecting 6-12 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow.

But, I've got the generator fueled and ready. The 8hp Toro snowthrower is standing at the ready. The 5hp Ariens got a new engine (B&S Intek Sno) last night. Need to weld some u-joints on the chute shaft to clear the OHV engine, so will do that tonight after work. But I've got my little small-engine army at the ready.

But....I should have bought a fat bike!

azrider
02-12-2014, 12:29 PM
http://money.cnn.com/gallery/real_estate/2014/01/27/cities-moving/5.html

jus sayin

MySweetFixie
02-12-2014, 03:30 PM

But, I've got the generator fueled and ready. The 8hp Toro snowthrower is standing at the ready. The 5hp Ariens got a new engine (B&S Intek Sno) last night. Need to weld some u-joints on the chute shaft to clear the OHV engine, so will do that tonight after work. But I've got my little small-engine army at the ready.

But....I should have bought a fat bike!

We're due for some 4-6 inches of snow tonight in NYC. There is one guy at work who has a Surly Pugsley as his city bike. It will really be paying off tomorrow, I imagine.

thegunner
02-12-2014, 04:20 PM
We're due for some 4-6 inches of snow tonight in NYC. There is one guy at work who has a Surly Pugsley as his city bike. It will really be paying off tomorrow, I imagine.

i think the forecasts are up to 7-12 :)

avalonracing
02-12-2014, 04:55 PM
Near Baltimore we are forecast to get up to 10" of snow tonight and Thursday followed by a 40ºF melt on Friday followed by a refreeze on Saturday. Perfect conditions to make the trails AND the roads both suck! Given that we are planning a night MTB ride as the snow starts.

Update: of course as it got darker and colder everyone bailed out. Looks like it is the gym again. I'm going to have the best bench max of anyone on the rides this spring.

Tandem Rider
02-12-2014, 06:17 PM
that is insanely cold, i dont know that i've ever experienced any tems quite that low. question for you and others in the
how are your home heating systems keeping up? what about cars and trucks? must be a little difficult to get the engines to turn over that far below zero? what other odd anomalies pop up when the weather dips that low, or are you guys out there just used to the brutal cold?

Well maintained gasoline engines with a good battery will start just fine at -18. Keep the tank at least 1/2 full to reduce condensation inside the tank, use a container of "Heet" every 3 or 4 tanks. Start using the window fluid that won't freeze in the fall. Let it warm up for 10 minutes or so before driving. Diesel are another topic.

Most home heating systems are doing fine, those that aren't would have problems anyway. Design temp around here is -10 or -15 depending on the engineer. Most systems are bigger than required to meet design. Water lines that aren't well protected are breaking, these are mostly inside buildings in poorly chosen locations, occasionally under a street. The snow cover helps protect the lines everywhere else. If there was little or no snow it would be a lot worse.

I hate to acknowledge it but I think something is wrong with me, I was outside today, it was 16 degrees and snowing, all I had on for a coat was a fleece pullover, ball cap, and no gloves. It seemed fine at the time. Someone, quick, come slap some sense into me.

thwart
02-12-2014, 06:49 PM
Just back from XC skiing with my lovely wife.

To get thru a very nasty winter it really helps to, as the kids say, embrace the suck.

Admiral Ackbar
02-13-2014, 01:05 AM
y'all a bunch of softies

WickedWheels
02-13-2014, 08:41 AM
Just now on Long Island in front of my house...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/13/meva6yhy.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

rice rocket
02-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Given all the snow we've gotten (at least in the Northeast), this has got to be a killer year for fatbike sales!

I'm glad I don't live in North Carolina right now, at least people here have somewhat of a clue of how to drive in the snow (well, it usually takes them about half the season to remember).

teleguy57
02-13-2014, 10:49 AM
Just hangin' in WI waiting for my new Hampsten frame. Extra blue day for me....

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-JQZ7Uy8dqeg/Uvz1NsZXsZI/AAAAAAAACfk/CM5zTO8TgTE/w607-h809-no/IMG_2068.JPG

Coluber42
02-13-2014, 02:46 PM
I don't mind riding in the snow that much. My regular beater bike (Surly CrossCheck fixie) does just fine. It's the slop and the slush that I really hate.

I just typed this whole long rant about my neighbor and his 4-wheeler with the snow plow on it, but thought better about clicking "submit". I hope he at least enjoys "helping", because scraping the compacted ice and tire treads off the sidewalk after he has "helped" is quite a bit harder and less fun than shoveling the actual snow.

AngryScientist
02-13-2014, 04:15 PM
15" here in NJ.

darn!

crownjewelwl
02-13-2014, 04:22 PM
i'm eating key lime pie ice cream and getting fat

was thinking of trying some xc skiing...

thwart
02-13-2014, 05:40 PM
15" here in NJ.

darn!

Angry! Watch your language! :eek:

You're a moderator, for heaven's sake.

ftwelder
02-13-2014, 05:52 PM
It seems just a little worse than typical to me at 2/14. If at 3/1 this is still going on, I am going to need something besides rollers and a spin bike to keep me going. I am already thinking about a computrainer.

Louis
02-13-2014, 05:57 PM

But, I've got the generator fueled and ready.

Christian, why didn't you get a natural-gas powered generator? That way you don't have to mess with gasoline and you have a quasi-unlimited supply.

I'm thinking of getting a propane powered unit since I already use that for the gas stove in the living room. (I'm "off the grid" gas wise, too far out in the boonies to have natural gas so I have a tank for propane.)

tuscanyswe
02-13-2014, 05:58 PM
Stockholm has the mildest winter i can remember. Still its the dark that gets to me not the temp. hope soon there will be blue skies again or just any sky. No more lids please!!!

AngryScientist
02-13-2014, 06:14 PM
Christian, why didn't you get a natural-gas powered generator? That way you don't have to mess with gasoline and you have a quasi-unlimited supply.

if things get real rough, it's not out of the question for natural gas compressor stations to go down, then there goes that plan...

Louis
02-13-2014, 06:44 PM
if things get real rough, it's not out of the question for natural gas compressor stations to go down, then there goes that plan...

True, but I don't think this happens often. I would think that one is more likely to run out of gasoline or have problems with the gasoline going bad. The last time we had a super-bad storm here some folks had to drive a bit just to find a gas station that had electricity, which of course is required to pump gas.

Edit: Found this on the web: Link to a story on NG grid reliability (http://www.serdp.org/News-and-Events/News-Announcements/Program-News/DoD-investigates-reliability-of-natural-gas-fired-generators-during-electric-grid-failures2)

christian
02-18-2014, 06:43 AM
Like the US Marines, I have standardized on a fuel supply; they went with diesel, I went with 87 octane gasoline. My cars, motorcycles, snowblowers, generator all run on 87 octane. Gas never goes stale that way, and I keep a reasonable supply available. If I am running only my generator, I should be all set for a week to ten days. If we are in a situation where gas is unavailable for 10 days in Westchester...

christian
02-18-2014, 06:43 AM
BTW, I broke down. After a full winter of outdoor activities, yesterday I rode the trainer. 1UpUSA, you make a good product, but that was still horrible. But I seriously need to start doing some 2x20s. Mountain biking is fun, but...

DoubleButted
02-18-2014, 06:57 PM
I noticed a strange phenomenon today. Apparently, snow actually melts above 32°. We hit that temperature today for the first time since December 5th. After driving through all the slush and slop, I have to say that I prefer something in the high 20's.

thwart
02-18-2014, 10:51 PM
After driving through all the slush and slop, I have to say that I prefer something in the high 20's.

Watch what you wish for.

Sure, we had 40 F today. And everyone got a little sweaty.

Spring fever was just… just barely beginning to break out…

But not to worry, they're predicting -20 F wind chills by Sunday.

That's a relief. Back to normal.

:rolleyes:

AgilisMerlin
02-18-2014, 10:55 PM
real winter this year

Tandem Rider
02-19-2014, 05:51 AM
Watch what you wish for.

Same here, I actually got out for a short hour on a tandem with Mrs. TR. after work. Supposed to be 100% chance of rain followed by ice/snow on Thursday and then the bottom drops out again. Working outside today at 36 in a LS t-shirt felt fine, yesterday was truly whiteout conditions on a roof, warped.

mod6
02-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Well it hit the mid forties here on Long Island today. 10 miles and 3 flats later has me wishing for the snow to melt off the MTB trails.

pdmtong
02-22-2014, 07:51 PM
Today i was out in full summer kit...short sleeve and shorts. And sweating in the sun. I've ridden 30 days this year already and if I really motivated every day was possible to go for a ride. You guys are buried in snow. By summer no one around here will be able to afford their landscaping.

winmonster
02-23-2014, 10:46 AM
With my job, travel, weather and a cracked dropout, I haven't ridden since mid-December. I'm squishy and grumpy.

likebikes
02-23-2014, 05:38 PM
I don't understand the belly aching!

Globally, January's winter was the 4th warmest on record: http://www.wunderground.com/news/january-4th-warmest-record-continuing-warming-trend-20140220

mod6
02-24-2014, 01:20 PM

Globally, January's winter was the 4th warmest on record: http://www.wunderground.com/news/january-4th-warmest-record-continuing-warming-trend-20140220

As in Real Estate.....Location, Location, Location:)

DCW
02-25-2014, 08:08 AM
Thank Mayor Bloomberg for CitiBike! If it weren't for my CitiBike commute from Grand Central, i wouldn't have touched a pedal in nearly a month. The roads near me in S. Westchester are in terrible shape (rim-busting, spoke-crushing craters every 20 meters), the pathways haven't been plowed... etc., etc.

But CitiBike keeps on cruising. Sweet ride every morning...

gavingould
02-25-2014, 03:40 PM
i haven't ridden outdoors in over two months now. can anyone tell me what it's like?

DoubleButted
02-25-2014, 04:00 PM
Watch what you wish for.

I was in your fair state last week. Spent 5 hours walking around on Lake Superior in jeans and light jacket. I may have even got a bit of sunburn on my head. I think you guys are exaggerating the cold just to keep the tourists away.:cool:

thwart
02-25-2014, 04:03 PM
It never ends. We had a very brief respite last week, went up to 40° for two days. Now back well below freezing.

Forecast high temp for Thursday is 0 F or thereabouts, with wind chills down to 35 below zero...

And what is the normal high for late February, you ask?

33°. That's above zero.

Which would feel like a freaking heatwave right now.

thwart
02-25-2014, 04:05 PM
I was in your fair state last week. Spent 5 hours walking around on Lake Superior in jeans and light jacket. I may have even got a bit of sunburn on my head. I think you guys are exaggerating the cold just to keep the tourists away.:cool:

I want some of what you're drinking.

Then again, I didn't think they made a liquid form of Vick's VapoRub...

Tandem Rider
02-25-2014, 04:56 PM
I think at this point I would even drink Vick's to make the cold go away. Average high for Thursday is 42. Predicted high is 0 with a 20mph wind. -22 with the wind chill, that's 64 degrees colder than normal. Anyone who thinks 64 degrees below normal is fine should have been wearing a helmet when their accident occurred.

DoubleButted
02-25-2014, 05:48 PM

As in Real Estate.....Location, Location, Location:)

Exactly! And Wisconsin and Upper Michigan are at ground zero for the polar vortex. http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/02/06/global-temperature-report-january-2014-upper-michigan-was-coldest-spot-on-the-globe-in-january/
Back down to -20 (actual) tomorrow night and highs below 0°. Where's the icicle emotocon? :fight:

DCW
02-27-2014, 11:20 AM
The company I work for (a utility company) employs two full time meteorologists. I was speaking to the lead meterologist this morning, and got the unofficial Northeast forecast through mid March: Expect more cold (we've been averaging around 20 degrees below average); don't expect the snow to melt any time soon. That is lining up with the forecast on NOAA pretty well... so i guess it's official.

Meanwhile, we're expecting 6 more inches of snow in Westchester on Sunday night/Monday morning.

frozen easter eggs anyone?

Ti Designs
02-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Quit complaining.

thwart
02-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Quit complaining.

Geez. I worked up a better sweat riding my rollers in the garage (with an ambient temp of 7° F) this afternoon.

;)

zmudshark
03-01-2014, 04:44 PM
It rained today. In PHX. On the annual TMB ride. I don't own a rain jacket.

gomango
03-01-2014, 04:48 PM
We are going for a record low temp tonight in the Twin Cities.

Between the treadmill and the Lemond, I can't take much more.

My flight to Austin, TX in two weeks is more than just highly anticipated. :)

SpeedyChix
03-01-2014, 07:04 PM
It rained today. In PHX. On the annual TMB ride. I don't own a rain jacket.

Please forgive me if I fail to tear up for you ;)

thwart
03-01-2014, 08:04 PM
It rained today.

Ah. Much nicer up here today. Snow and 11° F.

Heat wave ends tomorrow, though.

Tandem Rider
03-02-2014, 05:54 PM
It was warmer here yesterday too, all the way up to 6, too bad we got another 5 inches of stuff to shovel. Didn't snow today though!! However, it was again, well below zero. We have been in a 3 or 4 day rotation of warm up above 0, snow, get cold again, repeat, for a little over 2 months.

Got called into work again today, another 7 hours in the cold, more equipment frozen up, go figure.

In have turned into a wimp this winter, I come home after 8 to 10 hours in this weather and, well, riding the trainer for a couple hours or going back outside to ski for a couple hours, lets just say it ain't happening. I would never have made it as an Eskimo.