PDA

View Full Version : kirk pre-paint

david
01-28-2006, 11:39 AM
check it out.
on its way to jb.
almost a shame to cover it up with paint.
i'll post more detail shots in the photo gallery later today.

Tony Prioli
01-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Who knows the history of seat stays brazed to the seat binder? Serotta says "fastback", but I am sure there is more to it?

e-RICHIE
01-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Who knows the history of seat stays brazed to the seat binder? Serotta says "fastback", but I am sure there is more to it?

it's attributable to 1960s british builders atmo.
my 1971 hurlows had them. yo cheers :beer:

Catulle
01-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Fatherly love. Great work..!! :beer:

steelrider
01-28-2006, 06:54 PM
The medium of steel is truly real.

BumbleBeeDave
01-29-2006, 12:01 PM
. . . Captain Kirk has shipped off your frame, maybe he'll have a few minutes to go get his car washed! ;)

BBD

cw05
01-29-2006, 12:04 PM
Some of the old Raleigh Professional's had something similar as well.

SoCalSteve
01-29-2006, 01:08 PM
. . . Captain Kirk has shipped off your frame, maybe he'll have a few minutes to go get his car washed! ;)

BBD

I bet those Montana winters can be brutal....proof is how his car looks.

I worked on a movie in Omaha, NE for 5 months starting in February. There was no point in washing my vehice til Mid March.

Steve

Tony Prioli
01-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Some of the old Raleigh Professional's had something similar as well.

CW05 look closer at the KIRK, the seat stays are brazed to the area where the bolt goes through. Your Raliegh picture is polar oposite, the raliegh is actually mounted to the seat tube, below the lug(sort of). Just wanted to point out what I was talking about. The raliegh is quite nice for sure.

Thanks for the pic

david
01-29-2006, 04:33 PM
what e-richie said...

e-RICHIE
01-29-2006, 04:41 PM
what e-richie said...

that is my original muse and role model yo.
i am all teary eyed and choked up now. i better
start drinking heavily atmo. cheers. :beer:

david
01-29-2006, 04:50 PM
drink takes a drink...
drink takes man...
man passes out...
torch falls to ground...
house on fire, house on fire...
put it out.

SoCalSteve
01-29-2006, 05:38 PM
What color scheme are you going to go with???

I need idea's for my Kirk (eventually).

Thanks,

Steve

david
01-29-2006, 06:33 PM
steve,
right now, i'm leaning toward all white with dave's grey decals on the seat and down tubes as well as the small decal on the head tube.
i'd like a metalic white, so it has some dimension.
i was thinking of orange, but i have a few orange bikes already.
and i was thinking of white with either grey of black panels.
see the photo of my old indy fab in that scheme.
the grey panel idea was inspired by a bike on dave's gallery #17, i think.
that bike is grey with white panels, and i was thinking of the reverse.
for whatever reason, i'm leaning more toward all white.
it will be all campy record. the wheels will be campy record silver hubs, silver open pros.
i wish campy made a record alloy compact, so i'll either go with record carbon compact or the centaur (?) alloy compact.
i also wish they made a record alloy seat post. although a nitto will do quite nicely.
was thinking of silver headset, silver stem, silver bars.
oval concepts, nitto and ird make nice looking silver threadless tems. but i haven't found a bar like oval or ritchey's wcs classic bend in silver. maybe having black bars isn't such a big deal since i'll be using white cinelli cork.
anyway, white with mostly silver. simple. clean. more classic than modern, but the bike will look light and elegant, neither stodgy nor zippy.
but i bet it will ride as good as anything out there. and probably a lot better than most.

SoCalSteve
01-29-2006, 06:58 PM
I already have a white bike with red decals.....My JB painted Hors Cat. Its in the gallery if you'd like to see it (unbuilt).

I'm leaning towards orange with cream panels and green or silver decals (like an orange Creamsicle) or celadon green with cream panels and silver decals.

I still have a few months to go as he told me 6-7 months and that was about a month ago.

It's OK as I am still waiting on my Pegoretti Big Leg Emma.

So many bikes, so little time (to ride them) as I need to work a lot to pay for them all.

Steve

PS: Will you please post pictures of your orange bikes, thanks.

david
01-29-2006, 07:36 PM
steve,
orange with cream sounds awesome.
i've considered that, too.
here are some of my orange bikes.
the ram is the old standard color.
the indy fab is their pearl orange. it has black panels.
the CIII is arancio with slate panels and charcoal/titanium decals.
this shot makes it glow more than it actually does. still vibrant, just not as much as the photo indicates. actually, i think the photo makes it look too vibrant. i thought about silver panels on the CIII. and, of course, cream would be nice, too. but i thinkk the closest serotta has in stock colors is frost white. not sure.
i'll check out your hors.

Tailwinds
01-29-2006, 08:13 PM
David, those are some damn fine bikes! I like your ideas for your new Kirk paint scheme, too.

SoCalSteve, have you seen my orange Kirk? (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=114011&postcount=1)

aminadab
01-29-2006, 08:29 PM
Wow, Tailwinds, wonderful. Which lugs are those?

Tailwinds
01-29-2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks. Dave calls 'em "webbed lugs" (duh) -- I'm not sure who makes 'em. I think they're pretty cool, too.

david
01-29-2006, 08:35 PM
your bike colors are amazing.
i've been a big fan of that bike for a while.
is that the one that was destroyed in your crash?
if so, what a shame.
are you recreating it?
hope so.

jerk
01-29-2006, 08:42 PM
I already have a white bike with red decals.....My JB painted Hors Cat. Its in the gallery if you'd like to see it (unbuilt).

I'm leaning towards orange with cream panels and green or silver decals (like an orange Creamsicle) or celadon green with cream panels and silver decals.

I still have a few months to go as he told me 6-7 months and that was about a month ago.

It's OK as I am still waiting on my Pegoretti Big Leg Emma.

So many bikes, so little time (to ride them) as I need to work a lot to pay for them all.

Steve

PS: Will you please post pictures of your orange bikes, thanks.

soon enough steve....soon.

jerk

SoCalSteve
01-29-2006, 11:23 PM
soon enough steve....soon.

jerk

Promise??? I can't wait!

Steve

Len J
01-29-2006, 11:32 PM
Promise??? I can't wait!

Steve

I ordered mine a few months ago.....Dave e-mailed me to let me know he is starting mine now.......I talked to him earlier this week and it's all good to go....by the end of next week or so (Maybe early the following week, it will be off to JB's).

Len

Tailwinds
01-29-2006, 11:35 PM
your bike colors are amazing.
i've been a big fan of that bike for a while.
is that the one that was destroyed in your crash?
if so, what a shame.
are you recreating it?
hope so.

Thanks, David. Yes, it is the same one that was destroyed by a car, and yes, it is being recreated. I'm only waiting for JB to splash those colors on once again. While I've been waiting, I've thought of some ways that I will better-accessorize Kirk #2... waiting can be dangerous.

Samster
01-30-2006, 10:39 AM
... While I've been waiting, I've thought of some ways that I will better-accessorize Kirk #2... waiting can be dangerous.

Amanda:

How about a pair of these?

-sam