PDA

View Full Version : Golden, CO is FN great!

texbike
01-25-2014, 01:32 PM
OK, so my day trip to Loveland to ski today didn't work out (damn X Games traffic! :( ). As a consolation destination, I decided on a bit of hiking outside of Golden.

After hiking for a few hours, I planted myself at an outdoor restaurant at 13th and Washington in downtown Golden. Man, the bike traffic here is incredible! Among a myriad of Specs/Treks/Cannondales/Fujis/etc, there's been a woman on a Serotta Hors Cat, a Legend, a Moots Compact, a Look 481SL, a Look 585, a blue Sachs, a Black Sheep MTB, and a carbon Storck. That's just in the space of an hour! The old, long hood 911 and the 930 were a treat to see as well driving down Washington.

Of course it probably helps that it's already 55 degrees at Noon on a Saturday in January.

I think I'm in heaven. Austin is great, but this place is fantastic!

EDIT - Also, if you ever find yourself in the area and are in the mood for a good slice of pizza, be sure to check out Woody's. Yum!

Texbike

pbarry
01-25-2014, 01:48 PM
Great spot to hang, Tex. A few blocks away is a tiny micro brewery, Golden City. Great beer, worth the stroll.

Climb01742
01-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Anywhere where it's 55 today is a great place.;)

texbike
01-25-2014, 02:14 PM
A few blocks away is a tiny micro brewery, Golden City. Great beer, worth the stroll.

Thanks for the suggestion P. I'll walk over before heading back into Denver later.

Texbike

Matt-H
01-25-2014, 02:37 PM
Golden is beautiful. Centennial Cone trail system outside of town is a blast, too.

soulspinner
01-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Hear the weeds good.......................:rolleyes:

texbike
01-25-2014, 02:49 PM
Golden is beautiful. Centennial Cone trail system outside of town is a blast, too.

I almost did the Cone, but ended up in Golden Gate State Park instead. Beautiful!

Since my first post there's been a steel De Rosa of some sort roll by, a blue Tommasini, a couple more Moots, a sharp looking Ridley Helium, and about 47 Cervelos. A fly yellow Gallardo spyder drove past a few minutes ago with the top down. Sweet!

Texbike

Ken Robb
01-25-2014, 02:50 PM
There is a very interesting restaurant called "The Fort" overlooking Golden that would be fun for an early dinner before you head to Denver.

texbike
01-25-2014, 02:57 PM
Hear the weeds good.......................:rolleyes:

LOL! I saw a dispensary on the corner of 20th and something in downtown Denver a couple of days ago. One of my coworkers took a picture of it and sent it to our CMO as a potential location for an upcoming marketing event. :)

The references on the local radio to the Superbowl teams both coming from legalized pot states has been pretty funny.

Texbike

texbike
01-25-2014, 03:01 PM
There is a very interesting restaurant called "The Fort" overlooking Golden that would be fun for an early dinner before you head to Denver.

Hmmmm. I may actually be looking at it now across the street a couple blocks away. It looks kinda "fort-ish". I'll have to walk over and check it out on the way over to the brewery. At this rate, I may not make it back into Denver!

Texbike

learningtoride
01-25-2014, 03:28 PM

45K10
01-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Also try the Sherpa House.
Great Tibetan food, I recommend the yak vendiloo.
It is on the north side of the CSM campus up the hill from Safeway.

And yes Golden is an awesome place!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Steve K
01-25-2014, 08:01 PM
And a Spectrum was passing through.

Yep Woody's is good Za

RacerJRP
01-25-2014, 08:22 PM
Made a loop from town up Coal creek to GGSP out to 119 and then back to town via GG Canyon. What a beautiful day!

Jack Brunk
01-25-2014, 08:29 PM
My wife and I are in Denver now. Check your PM.

Louis
01-25-2014, 08:39 PM
I know I shouldn't do this, but lately any time I hear someone's in Denver/CO or Seattle/WA "on vacation" I can't help but wonder...

Schmed
01-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Mountain Toad Brewing on Washington - just a bit N of downtown is also good for beer. Bike-themed place, too. MTB = Mountain Toad Brewing = MounTain Bike.

Anywhere you have 4 bike shops and 4 breweries, has got to be good!

maj
01-25-2014, 09:06 PM
Great town, went to college there in the early '80s. I'm glad I got to live there then. Used to bike up Lookout Mountain and Clear Creek Canyon. Did anyone mention Coors? They used to let Mines students take "short tours" straight to the sample lounge on Friday afternoons.

Schmed
01-25-2014, 09:12 PM
they still do the "short tours", but you have to say "yes, I'm sure" when they ask if you are sure you don't want to take the full tour.

Soooo many riding options here, too. Road or mountain.

tiretrax
01-25-2014, 09:45 PM
Golden is a neat town. Nice in summer, too. I love the cycling friendly vibe in Colorado, but Austin is pretty cool, too.

maj
01-25-2014, 10:05 PM
they still do the "short tours", but you have to say "yes, I'm sure" when they ask if you are sure you don't want to take the full tour.

Soooo many riding options here, too. Road or mountain.

Comforting to hear that some good things never change.

Schmed
01-25-2014, 10:23 PM
Comforting to hear that some good things never change.

Foss Drugs has closed, so that's not so good.
Ace High Tavern is now non-smoking, and that's great!
Downtown Golden is quite a bit more built up (condos), but it's still a great little town.