PDA

View Full Version : How do you organize and store your bike bottles?

rugbysecondrow
01-25-2014, 09:33 AM
How do you organize and store your bike bottles? I have a dozen of them floating around and I am curious how other people store them. I have mine on a shelf, but they inevitably end up on their side in an unorganized way.

What say you? Any photos?

Cheers!

Paul

kohlboto
01-25-2014, 09:48 AM
This is becoming a plywood themed morning...

crownjewelwl
01-25-2014, 09:49 AM
i just throw em in the cupboard and hope that my wife doesnt throw them out

Fixed
01-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Wow nice organization ,home shop? Looks pro
Cheers :)

Jason E
01-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Shelf-Life, yo. Trick is to make the hard choices and throw some out. I have 8-10 and my wife hates the real estate I take up. I'll buy 2-4 when a few get rank, and then throw some out. Keeps the foot print low.

Actually have a bunch in my shed. Old ones. Thinking of making a storage rack or something out of them but the muse has not yet struck. If I Wait long enough, maybe a pontoon boat. :)

mike p
01-25-2014, 10:18 AM
I used to have a million of them and the wife was always complaining. She was right, the bottles along with lots of other bike stuff is either being given away or sold. I think I've got 4 bottles left and could probably get along with two just fine. Who needs dozens of h2o bottles? Why? More riding less stuff.

Mike

FlashUNC
01-25-2014, 10:31 AM
Shelf-Life, yo. Trick is to make the hard choices and throw some out. I have 8-10 and my wife hates the real estate I take up. I'll buy 2-4 when a few get rank, and then throw some out. Keeps the foot print low.

Actually have a bunch in my shed. Old ones. Thinking of making a storage rack or something out of them but the muse has not yet struck. If I Wait long enough, maybe a pontoon boat. :)

This. I keep 'em to one shelf and rotate them through. It's a one-in, one-out philosophy.

EricEstlund
01-25-2014, 10:35 AM
I rinse em out and stick them back on the bike. No additional foot print. We have a couple in the cupboard with coffee travel mugs and Nalgene type bottles for travel.

I try to keep a few on hand, but I don't collect promo bottles and I've never been a bottle hoarder. My wife and I each have a pair of small and large bottles with a couple floaters.

Jason E
01-25-2014, 11:10 AM
This is becoming a plywood themed morning...

Not to hijack the thread, but you can't leave us hanging like that and not show us you work area...

kohlboto
01-25-2014, 11:27 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but you can't leave us hanging like that and not show us you work area...

slightly older pic, but you get the idea. Just a little corner of the laundry room that I share with the recycling bins and freezer...

likebikes
01-25-2014, 11:32 AM
I only have 2 bottles. They stay on the bike.

djg21
01-25-2014, 11:43 AM
I keep a few old musette bags on a hanger in my closet. My wife insists the number of bottles remains manageable.

bloody sunday
01-25-2014, 12:17 PM
cut the lids off a small cardboard box and store them upright in there without the cap. cap fits in the box, too. In my home office, I only have 8 bottles, but the work office, I have a dozen more stored in cabinets.

wildboar
01-25-2014, 12:36 PM
Did somebody say "bottles"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dA2zy0hLbs

tiretrax
01-25-2014, 01:31 PM
Did somebody say "bottles"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dA2zy0hLbs

I love the classic videos - sometimes, it seems that the team car destroyed cycling. No longer do domestiques run into bars for sandwiches or beverages, fill bottles at town square water fountains, etc. It gets boring to see riders call on their radios to get a drink, food, deposit their excess clothing, get tactics, etc.

Frankwurst
01-25-2014, 04:41 PM
I have 4 or 5 bottles placed somewhere where I might find one to fill up. :beer:

beeatnik
01-25-2014, 04:52 PM
I'm a dope. I dont rotate my bottles enough and since I keep them in the bottom shelf of my kitchen cupboard they end up getting moldy. I'm down to 3 usable bottles.

Yesterday, I picked up a settlement check from my attorney to make me whole for being T-boned last April. On my way out the paralegal gave me 2 water bottles. Purist. For a moment, I was more stoked about the bottles than the settlement. #bikedudes

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5506/12141484505_058cd98798_b.jpg

This is one of those random, useful threads.

Also, if you're in CA and need a good bike attorney:

http://www.calbikelaw.com/

charliedid
01-25-2014, 09:10 PM
Some live here, and all of them go there to dry first. I then just store them on their side in a cabinet.

Works for me.

whatwolf
01-25-2014, 09:51 PM
Glad this thread was started. I've been meaning to make myself a small hanging shelf for this purpose, since I've somehow accumulated 12+ bottles. All of them are in the rotation so they get used/rinsed frequently enough to keep from getting weird. I'll report back once I build the shelf.

pdmtong
01-26-2014, 01:10 AM
I don't get this...dishwasher and air dry afterwards...why moldy/weird?

oldpotatoe
01-26-2014, 08:11 AM
I love the classic videos - sometimes, it seems that the team car destroyed cycling. No longer do domestiques run into bars for sandwiches or beverages, fill bottles at town square water fountains, etc. It gets boring to see riders call on their radios to get a drink, food, deposit their excess clothing, get tactics, etc.

Don't know this but I'll bet in the Giro, the domestiques still do go into a store and get a few Cokes for Il Capo of the team..Probably not the TdF, that's beneath them. I doubt they do the fountain water gig nor water from somebody they don't know..a stomach bug can end your race.

mcallen
01-26-2014, 01:19 PM
This thread got me thinking and I threw this rack together in 5 minutes. It is a prototype (random board + wood screws and washers) but it does make use of some otherwise useless bottle cages.
http://i40.tinypic.com/x10yn9.jpg

josephr
01-26-2014, 05:14 PM
^^^^ So straight forward that ends up being ingenious! '

I keep my bottles on the bike and just refill them pre-ride...I'll rinse them out really well and then run through the dishwasher if I used some sort or nutritional/energy supplement. As far as having non-logo'd bottles...I don't care....go to the bike demos or work a mtn bike race and help clean up the trail afterwards----you'll never buy another bottle again!
Joe

ckamp
01-26-2014, 11:27 PM
Hand wash, upside down on the drying rack and then back into the cycling closet. Some people may refer to this as 'washing dishes by hand' :rolleyes:

ryanmasin
01-29-2014, 07:40 AM
I keep mine rotating, I have about 3-4 that I use on my bike/trainer. Call me lazy, but I use my traditional bottles to refill my Speedfil standard while on the trainer for hour+sessions. I want to get some of those sweet specialized purist bottles!

Uncle Jam's Army
01-29-2014, 09:41 AM
Also, if you're in CA and need a good bike attorney call Uncle Jam's Army[/B]

Fixed it for you :)

Lugger
01-29-2014, 11:52 AM
If I Wait long enough, maybe a pontoon boat. :)

Let's all send Jason our beat up water bottles. I want to see the pontoon boat!!!! :hello:

CPW
01-30-2014, 05:58 AM
I have a bunch of bottles from the tours of CA and UT. I've been meaning to hang them all on the wall with magnets. Seems like it would be somewhat easy to do.

djg
01-30-2014, 06:38 AM
Mine are carefully arranged in a geometric pattern called a pile, which exists inside a drawer. Basically, they fill up a drawer.

gmonster
01-31-2014, 03:04 PM
Mine get so rank sometimes I need to use bleach prior to putting them in the dishwasher... so don't do what I do with them, which is leave them sitting around until something starts growing.

bart998
01-31-2014, 04:26 PM
I built my wife a new kitchen and she generously gave me a top shelf she couldn't reach to keep bottles on...

Jnnybrns
01-31-2014, 10:45 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/01/u9umanyq.jpg

Massive Tupperware Containers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pjm
01-31-2014, 11:22 PM
3 pages on this? Really?

yakstone
02-01-2014, 09:13 AM
^ Exactly - some of us are more anal than others.

OtayBW
02-01-2014, 05:11 PM
3 pages on this? Really?
:confused: Beats me, too. I just wash mine after the ride and then put 'em up on the refrigerator to use next day. That's about it. All the other tons of bottles that I choose to keep are in a box in the basement somewhere.