PDA

View Full Version : which '90s classic?

ceolwulf
01-24-2014, 10:57 PM
It's dark, the roads are covered in ice, forecast for tonight is twenty below ... time to dream about bikes (it's always that time though :help: )

My cycling coming-of-age took place in the '90s and after hours - days - weeks in total I'm sure, idly flipping through magazines and gazing at the Colorado Cyclist catalog, some symbols of the time I'll never forget ... and then I'm thinking, I don't race my road bike (that's what the CX bike is for), there's no point insisting on the latest lightest stiffest fastest, really, and wouldn't training be more enjoyable on one of these?

http://fstatic3.mtb-news.de/img/photos/1/6/9/6/0/8/_/large/KestrelDuo_01.jpg?0

Kestrel 500 SCI ...

+invisible seat tube!
+it's got SCIence right in the name
+made when CF was brave and designers were too
-made when CF was new and no one really knew how to do it right yet
-650C is a nuisance
-old CF is a little hard on the nerves
(what's a reasonable price for one of these frames now anyway? I honestly have no idea.)

http://www.steel-vintage.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x800/d8c386b00904db73d33b902b3506d0ce/C/o/Colnago-Titanio-Bititan-Classic-Bicycle-20131016-11.jpg

Colnago Bititan ...

+doesn't get more exotic than this - basically a pedal-powered Lamborghini
+ride quality should be excellent, I'm assuming?
-some were prone to cracking
-in the end, a not-terribly-good solution to a problem that only kind of existed
(you buy one of these with the heart, and turn off the brain entirely.)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_693JCT80K-E/S1TYsK8kxOI/AAAAAAAABNc/VXqSdVbFwjo/s1600/de_rosa_neo_primato_03.jpg

De Rosa Neo Primato ...

+utterly timeless
+still available new, and cheaper than a decent carbon bike at that
- ... um ... thinking ...
(I tried finding a photo of a blue one with white panels, like the one I'd spend ages looking at in the Colorado Cyclist catalog, but Molteni colours will do nicely.)

thirdgenbird
01-24-2014, 11:32 PM
I want to say the kestral because I liked them as a kid, but I would get the colnago if I were to chose today.

maunahaole
01-24-2014, 11:35 PM
One of those choices isn't a stupid one.

don compton
01-24-2014, 11:36 PM
I had two friends that had those bikes and both frames failed at the downtube to headtube junction. Real pieces of ····.

thirdgenbird
01-24-2014, 11:43 PM
Well that is disappointing. Can I change my vote to a gios compact pro?

I love the de rosa, but I honestly don't recall ever seeing a compact pro in person.

Louis
01-24-2014, 11:52 PM
This really was an easy choice, and I see the voting reflects that.

buldogge
01-25-2014, 12:07 AM
Yeah…There really is no question here.

I would sell my De Rosa Pro if (and only if)I found a Primato!

-Mark in St. louis

This really was an easy choice, and I see the voting reflects that.

vqdriver
01-25-2014, 12:28 AM
Same boat exactly. Those Colorado cyclist catalogs bring back memories. Recall they must have had some kind of insane buy in vitus 979 frames cuz they listed those for years.

Kestrel was the stuff of dreams in the day. But voting now goes to the de rosa. Not even a second thought.

Steve in SLO
01-25-2014, 01:35 AM
Bititan=Renault Elf 6 wheeled f1 car

BdaGhisallo
01-25-2014, 04:46 AM
Bititan=Renault Elf 6 wheeled f1 car

That car was the Tyrrell P34. Renault never did a six wheeler.

gomango
01-25-2014, 06:46 AM
Yeah…There really is no question here.

I would sell my De Rosa Pro if (and only if)I found a Primato!

-Mark in St. louis

Agreed, except I am selling my Professional frameset if anyone is looking for one.

It's a beauty.

......and for what it's worth, I recently sold my Giro'd Italia as well. A former team bike from Bolzano, the frameset was built from ELOS.

The frameset looked just like a Primato under the rebadging.

My wife still has her Primato and loves it. I'm likely to pick up another De Rosa in a year or two when a riding buddy hands over his Corum.

texbike
01-25-2014, 08:01 AM
I love Colnagos, but if I were to pick a bike to ride rather than just hang on the wall, it would be the Primato without question.

Texbike

oldpotatoe
01-25-2014, 08:14 AM
I had two friends that had those bikes and both frames failed at the downtube to headtube junction. Real pieces of ····.

Think the pic is an OvalTitan..square top tube. BiTitan had round tubes and yes, many broke. I talked to the importer at the time(Todson) and be said he had a basement full of broken ones, Colnago has no warranty...Made in Gorski, Russia.

thirdgenbird
01-25-2014, 09:26 AM
It is a shame they break. I would love to put chorus 11 and box section wheels on the example above.

Md3000
01-25-2014, 10:24 AM
De Rosa - Gewiss-Ballan and Pantani are the only things I remember of the 90s :)

Steve in SLO
01-25-2014, 10:41 AM
That car was the Tyrrell P34. Renault never did a six wheeler.

YOu are correct, sir...I had my wires crossed when I posted last night.