PDA

View Full Version : SRAM Force BB30 crankset problem on FSA PF30 BB

EvanTA
01-24-2014, 01:52 PM
Hi All,

I've got a compatibility issue with trying to install a new Force 22 bb30 crankset in an FSA PF30 bottom bracket. For reference, I got a new redline conquest disc pro, and wanted to swap out the existing parts (105 with FSA gossamer crank) and replace with force 22.

I followed the instructions found here: http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/1n5ZbwCmjqww7qNT9pbXxNCcZsozGsz1i25FyyPXGDw/mtime:1372788146/sites/default/files/techdocs/95-6115-007-000_rev_d_road_cranksets.pdf

When I put in the crank the first thing I notice is that I DO need the 10mm spacer that the instructions seem to say that I don't (you'll see they highlight in green the 10mm spacer and X it out if Force/Red, I'll assume they mean bottom bracket?), and after I tighten everything down there is still 5mm of play. The pre-load adjuster (which I'm not totally clear on - this is my first experience with PF/BB30) wouldn't take that up because it's too weak.

I know some people have mentioned the wavy washers, but would they be able to take up that much slack? The wavy washers weren't included in the crank box, so I have to pick those up separately.

Does anyone have any experience with this exact set-up?

Thanks,

Evan

EvanTA
01-26-2014, 08:35 PM
Thankfully a local mechanic was familiar with the set-up, and it's working now with no need to buy anything different. It just took the right sequencing of dust caps, preload adjuster, spacers, and it worked fine. I had made the mistake of assuming some dust-caps belonged with the previous crankset, and so I didn't use them, where actually they belonged to the BB and they should have been in the mix.

Kudos to District Hardware for working with me on it!

primov8
01-26-2014, 09:04 PM
If you don't mind, could you post up pics of the crankset. Particularly from under the bb shell, where it captures both the DS and NDS.

I'm hearing the new Force 22 BB30 crankset is similar to the S900 series cranksets. If thats the case, then this new crankset would fall under the "universal" 30mm spindled cranksets. In other words, it'll fit a range of different bb applications (i.e. BB30/PF30, BBright, BB386EVO, BB86, BB90) because of the longer spindle.

gospastic
01-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Having just installed a gxp force 22 crankset, it looks very similar to the S900. The arms looks nearly identical except for graphics, with the main difference being the spider and rings. I would imagine the bb30 version is similar to the S900 as well.

EvanTA
01-28-2014, 09:22 AM
If you don't mind, could you post up pics of the crankset. Particularly from under the bb shell, where it captures both the DS and NDS.

I'm hearing the new Force 22 BB30 crankset is similar to the S900 series cranksets. If thats the case, then this new crankset would fall under the "universal" 30mm spindled cranksets. In other words, it'll fit a range of different bb applications (i.e. BB30/PF30, BBright, BB386EVO, BB86, BB90) because of the longer spindle.

Sorry, I'm trying to post pics but keep getting some sort of error message, can email you some if you'd like. Regarding the longer spindle, as best I could measure it against the FSA crankset, it did appear to have a longer spindle by about 20mm, +- user error...