PDA

View Full Version : Dead tubulars? Do I need a new set? What kind?

d_douglas
01-23-2014, 11:26 PM
So, I have one set of tubulars that are on a bike I don't use much. I built wheels recently and opted for clinchers - I kind of regret that, but that's for another time.

My tubulars have schwalbe Stevio tires - 25mm rear and 23mm front. They are on their last legs and the rear went flat last year. It wouldn't hold air and my LBS said one way to save it was to dump some Stans sealant in it. I did and it worked -I have used the wheels on my trainer a few times and they worked fine, then I went out for a two hr jaunt this past weekend. The next day, the tire was flat.

What happened? Is this a sign that I should just toss these tires and buy new? Many will answer yes, but I am trying to conserve $$ now and if there is a cheap solution, I would prefer that. Do I need to Squirt Stan's in the tube after every ride? likely not, right?

Anyways, plan A is to be cheap and plan B is to buy something ok - not fancy. I want 25mm tires and keep in mind that these are not on an everyday bike (though they could be - Record 11 silver on Nemesis) so spending $100 per tire is unappealing. Are there tires that can happily sit on a wheelset for years without degrading and rotting, yet when I want to ride it every once in a while, they still ride nicely?

My short list of smooth, durable 25mm tires in black or tan for a wet climate includes:

Conti Sprinter
Vittoria Corsa EVO
Schwalbe Ultremo DD

Any others? Affordable is a great bonus here :)

ultraman6970
01-23-2014, 11:56 PM
3x50 bucks tubulars, the problem is that those dont come in 25's. And with the little ride that apparently you do they could last easy a couple of year.

They wont ride as the ones you picked but they don't ride as clinchers either.

There are tubulars that can last many years, have a set of green vittorias that are like 30 years old, have another set of clement that are as old as they can get and are still ok. Even I got a gift of a pair of Kriteruim Czech tubulars that are new and made in 1985 and are just perfect.

The thing with tubulars is that you have to take care of them, if you want to put like 150 psi and never release the pressure when you dont need them they will last less than if you release the air (old man customs, so youngsters please dont comment this ok? :P). So if your tubulars got dry well, wonder if you left the bike under the sun or something, that pretty much will dry tubulars in less than a year but pretty in general lines if you ride a tubular really hard and you start getting puntures often it means that is just time to get new ones. Vittoria are like that in general lines. Had a pair of Alvarez 25s 300 grams made in argentina that after 5 years were dried like paper but I never managed to flat them, had to retired them because they were old.

teleguy57
01-24-2014, 12:32 AM
Mmmm... Nemesis on silver hubs. Mine are Nemesis on silver Chorus and I have a set of silver records I'm noodling on what rim to use with them.

I had a tubie that was fine when I pumped it up and rode it, but it went consistently went flat overnight. Finally figured out the valve stem core wasn't tight enough. After I tightened it up the tire held air just fine. You might check that.

My go to tire is the Veloflex Roubaix and/or Vittoria Paves. Both were 24, now come in 25s. Have some Challenge Strada 25s, but very mixed results -- their QC seems poor. Two of three tires developed sidewall bulges and eventually the casings failed.

Old Potatoe has posted about the Vittoria Corsa Elite, which comes in a 25. They're on my short list for a less expensive tubular.

I have a set of Sprinters with lots of life left that I'd consider letting let go for a reasonable price. PM me if you're interested.

rwsaunders
01-24-2014, 05:56 AM
I've been riding tubulars off an on now for about a year or so, after having abandoned them in the early 90's. I have one set of DA/Nemesis wheels outfitted with 25mm Conti Competitions and I'm pleased with the overall ride performance...knock on wood, no flats with about 2,000 miles on them. I've seen them range from $65-85 on the various websites.

christian
01-24-2014, 06:16 AM
Conti Competitions aren't super cheap, but have butyl tubes and wear like iron. They were my go-to workaday tubular for the last two years. Tough to mount though.

I am going to try Vittoria Corsa Elites at some point soon.

AngryScientist
01-24-2014, 06:27 AM
i say dump the ones you've got, it sounds to me like they are done.

personally, since i dont really get a whole lot of time to ride, i want the most dependable equipment i can get, so when i get time to ride my bike, i'm riding it - not cleaning it, fixing it, repairing tires, worrying about flats on the road, etc.

if you've got a tire that is sketchy about holding air, that's enough reason to get rid of it IMO, just to save the potential hassle on the road.

this looks like a good option for you...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Continental-Sprinter-Gatorskin-Tubular-Tire-25-mm-700-mm-/121260188522?pt=US_Tires&hash=item1c3baba36a

R2D2
01-24-2014, 07:13 AM
conti competitions aren't super cheap, but have butyl tubes and wear like iron. They were my go-to workaday tubular for the last two years. Tough to mount though.

+1

oldpotatoe
01-24-2014, 08:17 AM
So, I have one set of tubulars that are on a bike I don't use much. I built wheels recently and opted for clinchers - I kind of regret that, but that's for another time.

My tubulars have schwalbe Stevio tires - 25mm rear and 23mm front. They are on their last legs and the rear went flat last year. It wouldn't hold air and my LBS said one way to save it was to dump some Stans sealant in it. I did and it worked -I have used the wheels on my trainer a few times and they worked fine, then I went out for a two hr jaunt this past weekend. The next day, the tire was flat.

What happened? Is this a sign that I should just toss these tires and buy new? Many will answer yes, but I am trying to conserve $$ now and if there is a cheap solution, I would prefer that. Do I need to Squirt Stan's in the tube after every ride? likely not, right?

Anyways, plan A is to be cheap and plan B is to buy something ok - not fancy. I want 25mm tires and keep in mind that these are not on an everyday bike (though they could be - Record 11 silver on Nemesis) so spending $100 per tire is unappealing. Are there tires that can happily sit on a wheelset for years without degrading and rotting, yet when I want to ride it every once in a while, they still ride nicely?

My short list of smooth, durable 25mm tires in black or tan for a wet climate includes:

Conti Sprinter
Vittoria Corsa EVO
Schwalbe Ultremo DD

Any others? Affordable is a great bonus here :)

Ya got a hole in the tube.

Conti Sprinters, Vittoria Corsa Elite...both great tubular tires.

redir
01-24-2014, 09:02 AM
I only give the Stans/Cafe Latex trick one shot. If it fails then the tire is ripped off the rim and tossed or repaired if the tread is still good. Don't fuss with it and just get rid of it.

I have to disagree with the Yellow Jersey 3 for $50 buck tires. (sorry ultraman6970 :( ) IMHO they aren't even good tires just to teach newbs how to glue on tubs, they are all misaligned and have bumps etc... Go with Conti if you want a bang for the buck tire but don't expect a plush ride like a Veloflex or FMB.

d_douglas
01-24-2014, 11:38 AM
I do think it is time to switch, but since it is on an occasional bike, I am not eager to shell out big $$$. It sounds like Conti Sprinters are the conservative choice - good ride, durable, mid-price.

That said, I pumped up the tire and rode said bicycle to work on a sunny, dry PNW morning :). I love commuting to work. Who knows if I will be taking the bus home tonight with a flat-tired bike - it was one of those kinds of days when I decided to take a gamble.

redir
01-24-2014, 12:55 PM
Well, if it's THAT slow of a leak then maybe another sealant application will do the trick. If it still has sealant in it then I would suspect the valve which is an easy fix if it's replaceable or just simply loose.

Nice ride BTW.

denapista
01-24-2014, 02:31 PM
I'm in the same boat..

I was descending a hill and my rear Veloflex Roubaix exploded! Scariest thing ever but I rode it out like a Mortgage bank executive. I've ran FMB's in the past and I'm always springing for the pricey bling tires. I'm going to buy a few Conti Gatorskin Sprinters in 25c. I hear nothing but good things about them and the Butyl tube sounds perfect for where I ride.

I'm just spoiled by the low rolling resistance of Veloflex and Vittoria. I talked to the guys at Above Category and they told me Sprinter Gatorskins roll pretty good. I'd rather have durability over the few MPH's I'll gain with a Corsa Evo or SC tire. Those things simply flat easily in LA.

beeatnik
01-24-2014, 02:48 PM
I'm in the same boat..

I was descending a hill and my rear Veloflex Roubaix exploded! Scariest thing ever but I rode it out like a Mortgage bank executive. I've ran FMB's in the past and I'm always springing for the pricey bling tires. I'm going to buy a few Conti Gatorskin Sprinters in 25c. I hear nothing but good things about them and the Butyl tube sounds perfect for where I ride.

I'm just spoiled by the low rolling resistance of Veloflex and Vittoria. I talked to the guys at Above Category and they told me Sprinter Gatorskins roll pretty good. I'd rather have durability over the few MPH's I'll gain with a Corsa Evo or SC tire. Those things simply flat easily in LA.

Heard about that crash. My buddy said you and the Speedvagen survived but were a little bruised. Scary stuff.

nooneline
01-24-2014, 02:58 PM
I'm in the same boat..

Oof. stay away from the Gatorskin Sprinters. Just go for the Sprinters. Those are plenty durable. The gatorskin sprinters don't have a good reputation, durability, or feel.

buldogge
01-24-2014, 03:45 PM
After becoming enamored with the ride quality of the Vittoria Corsa CXs, I think I would give the newish Elites a try...basically the 32Otpi casing with a butyl tube instead of the usual latex.

-Mark in St. Louis

oldpotatoe
01-24-2014, 04:08 PM
After becoming enamored with the ride quality of the Vittoria Corsa CXs, I think I would give the newish Elites a try...basically the 32Otpi casing with a butyl tube instead of the usual latex.

-Mark in St. Louis

290tpi and I can't tell the difference, those 30 tpi mean nuthin to me..and butyl..yes, nice tires all around and 25c. Less $ also.

redir
01-24-2014, 09:23 PM
Butyl is nice because you don't have to pump up as often. I'm not sure there is a ride quality difference between butyl or latex but word on the street is that latex flat less because they are more flexible? IDK

Ya gotta pump them up every day so it can be annoying.

At least when you blow a tubular tire you still have some rubber one the road and not metal rails sliding along like a train track.

d_douglas
01-24-2014, 10:30 PM
Well, my gamble to ride the leaking tubie did not pay off.

When I came out to bike at 5pm, tire was flat. I rode it to my LBS one km away, pumped up the tire to see if it would hold air long enough to zip home (10km) and wow, it worked just fine! I was amazed that it was flat, was ridden on when flat and then inflated 'er up and roller reasonably well, all things considered.

+1 for tubular toughness !!

Time to buy new tires :banana: