PDA

View Full Version : OT: Swimming pool treatment alternatives

NHAero
01-23-2014, 11:02 AM
We have a client that would like a non-chlorine based water treatment system for the outdoor pool we will build for them as part of their new house project. Our pool sub has used a lot of salt chlorination systems (by Hayward) with great success but these are still chlorine-based. He has had terrible experience with ionization systems - all but one of over 20 have been replaced.

What else is out there? We're located on Martha's Vineyard if that's any help.

Thanks

redir
01-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Look into Ozone Systems.

Ralph
01-23-2014, 11:39 AM
Living in Florida, I maintain our pool year around, with solar heating, etc, and go thru a lot of chlorine. If I were changing out, and I would like to if it made economic sense, I would use a salt system. Especially if starting from scratch. Realize that does not meet your goal.

Maybe local climate conditions favor one system over another.

mcrispl
01-23-2014, 11:46 AM
I think the ozonator systems are probably your best bet. Some systems (maybe all, I've only looked into a couple) required some chlorine, but will reduce the need drastically.

http://www.cwsnaturally.com/pool/index.php
This company uses moss to clean....I haven't heard of anyone using it but it might be worth looking into.

Schmed
01-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Salt pools using chlorine are quite nice - less overall chlorine, so less irritation and odor. Make sure to use a Titanium heat exchanger, or you'll eat up the stainless ones quickly with salt water.

Ozone is great. O3 does it's job killing the "bugs", then reverts to O2. How perfect is that. Must be sized correctly to work well. Ozone, however, is pretty strong stuff - can be irritating if overfed. Uses a high amount of power, though. Adds no dissolved solids/salts to the water.

maxdog
01-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Uv.

Schmed
01-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Uv.

I think you need to use supplemental disinfectants with UV. UV will kill anything that passes the light, within reason, but has no real residual killing power when Uncle Bob poops in the deep end.

Idris Icabod
01-23-2014, 01:23 PM
We have an ozone generator hooked into our pool but it supplements a chlorine system, we go through very little chlorine so the ozone seems to be doing most of the work.

NHAero
01-23-2014, 02:51 PM
If you use one and like it - what manufacturer?
Thanks very much

Idris Icabod
01-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Ours is an UltraPure. We just had to replace our pump and the guy who did it wanted to disconnet the ozone because he said it was hard on the pump. We decided to leave it hooked up because the first pump lasted almost 9 years which according to everyone we spoke to was way past life expectancy, so we figured it couldn't be that hard on the pump.

Mike V
01-23-2014, 07:01 PM
Ozone doesn't kill algae and lowers alkalinity.

The best systems if you want to get rid of everything bad in water would to use salt generator and UV combined.

NHAero
01-24-2014, 07:26 AM
This is our starting point - a salt chlorine generator plus UV. Was looking to see if there is anything better in terms of less chlorine.

Ozone doesn't kill algae and lowers alkalinity.

The best systems if you want to get rid of everything bad in water would to use salt generator and UV combined.