PDA

View Full Version : Earphones while riding

LegendRider
01-22-2014, 07:05 PM
Another good reason not to ride with earphones. From an Atlanta-based attorney who specializes in bike-related cases:

Earphones: As to the earphone issue. Unfortunately, wearing, even “open air” earphones can cost you and your family dearly, even when there is no evidence that the earphones contributed to the collision. Difficult liability cases are decided by juries. Some Jurors have a motor vehicle bias. Many jurors think that riding on the roads is much too dangerous for bicyclists. Accordingly, they demand a higher degree of alertness to the hazards surrounding them. Wearing earphones allows an insurance defense attorney to argue that had the cyclist not been wearing earphones, he/she would have heard the motorist approaching and passing and would not have turned left into the path of the passing motorist (from an actual case denying compensation to cyclist). You would fare better with a Bluetooth speaker in your bottle cage or attached to your handlebars and linked to your smartphone.

LegendRider
01-22-2014, 07:15 PM

Cat3roadracer
01-22-2014, 07:20 PM
No way. Not cycling or running.

eddief
01-22-2014, 07:46 PM
buy the farm.

phrase: refers to someone deceased in a military accident or operation. Phrase predates World War II, but came into common use at that time due to the large numbers of training casualties due inexperienced pilots/crewmembers trained in aircraft that are much less reliable than today. Common accidents in rural areas would result in aircraft crashing into barns, fields, or rural property, resulting in damages. The US Government would compensate the affected property owners with checks to pay for damages, or in some cases condemn land contaminated with undetonated/unlocated munitions/weapons, in effect "buying the farm".

gdw
01-22-2014, 08:55 PM
Actually the death benefits the government pays the family of a deceased service member are what "buy the farm."

bart998
01-23-2014, 02:11 AM
It's hard enough to hear cars and other hazards without providing your own noise distraction... either aloud or through head phones.

Nearly silent electric cars give me the hebe jebe's.

BdaGhisallo
01-23-2014, 06:29 AM
Having had a middle ear infection recently that left me with a severely blocked eustachion tube in one ear, I couldn't imagine riding with earphones. I was able to hear out of the affected ear but the sounds were muffled. My other ear was fine. On the few short rides I did during that time, I felt so vulnerable out on the roads not having my full auditory capabilities. (And this is in Bermuda where folks do drive stupidly sometimes, but mostly adhere to the low 30 mph speed limit).

I can't imagine having earphones in and losing that vital awareness of what's going on around me. I can't see what's behind me when I am riding, but I can certainly hear it, and the engine note and the sounds the tires are making give me a host of clues as to what kind of vehicle is approaching and the manner in which it is doing so.

Leave that music at home, and activate the jukebox that's built into your head if you need musical entertainment.

rcnute
01-23-2014, 06:40 AM
Another good reason not to ride with earphones. From an Atlanta-based attorney who specializes in bike-related cases:

Earphones: As to the earphone issue. Unfortunately, wearing, even “open air” earphones can cost you and your family dearly, even when there is no evidence that the earphones contributed to the collision. Difficult liability cases are decided by juries. Some Jurors have a motor vehicle bias. Many jurors think that riding on the roads is much too dangerous for bicyclists. Accordingly, they demand a higher degree of alertness to the hazards surrounding them. Wearing earphones allows an insurance defense attorney to argue that had the cyclist not been wearing earphones, he/she would have heard the motorist approaching and passing and would not have turned left into the path of the passing motorist (from an actual case denying compensation to cyclist). You would fare better with a Bluetooth speaker in your bottle cage or attached to your handlebars and linked to your smartphone.

Using a bluetooth would be only slightly less stupid.

Ryan

Black Dog
01-23-2014, 07:57 AM
Earphones while riding is the red headed stepchild to campy vs shimano and LA doping but I still think that it will get beyond 5 pages...:help:

Climb01742
01-23-2014, 08:54 AM
Nearly silent electric cars give me the hebe jebe's.

^this. twice lately a prius has 'snuck' up on my shoulder and startled the daylights outta me. i count on sound to telegraph what's behind me. electric/hybrids make this much harder. wish they pinged or something.;)

fiataccompli
01-23-2014, 09:29 AM
Mirror on glasses when riding alone or 2-3 others. I'd rather look dorky than dead. I don't like stuff on my ears anywhere ; especially on a bike where I need my senses alert to what is around me as well as what may be going on with my bike.

thwart
01-23-2014, 09:54 AM
Cycling is a somewhat dangerous sport. Especially road riding, mixing it up with cars and trucks. We all recognize that.

Therefore anything you do to dull your senses while riding is…

RFC
01-23-2014, 10:40 AM
^this. twice lately a prius has 'snuck' up on my shoulder and startled the daylights outta me. i count on sound to telegraph what's behind me. electric/hybrids make this much harder. wish they pinged or something.;)

Always liked this Prius scene from "Weeds"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8mjIcTqLTk

redir
01-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Some Jurors have a motor vehicle bias. Many jurors think that riding on the roads is much too dangerous for bicyclists.

And I would add, jurors, Cops, Prosecutors, Judges, Deputy Clerk, and even the Bailiff and Court Interpreter!

mcrispl
01-23-2014, 11:49 AM
When I was younger I would ride with ear buds.......Just thinking about that seems crazy to me now. I feel very lucky I never hurt somebody.

thwart
01-23-2014, 01:11 PM
When I was younger I would ride with ear buds.......Just thinking about that seems crazy to me now. I feel very lucky I never hurt myself.

Fixed it for you.

therealpeel
01-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Agreed with those who say it's dangerous..

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

jpw
01-23-2014, 02:49 PM
pedestrians walking on narrow cycle pathway with earphones firmly in both ears and cyclist approaching from behind. Happens to me quite often when out riding.

CunegoFan
01-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Riding with earphones at a reasonable sound level increases risk mildly. Bombing a decent at 40+ mph increases it greatly.

ham
01-23-2014, 11:39 PM
I used to always wear them while riding, once I started riding in groups a few years back I stopped. If I were to go to the loops around here to ride by myself I would consider 1, just to keep me from losing my mind

liray
01-24-2014, 12:15 AM
http://www.amazon.com/RichardSolo-FreeWheelin-Bluetooth-System-Helmets/dp/B008XBB9SU

I got mine @ wholesale price. Works well IMO, and you don't have to worry about a cable getting tangled anywhere

AJosiahK
01-24-2014, 09:33 AM
Ear buds are a no no, I always imagine getting into an accident and falling on the side of my head, smashing the bud into my ear... owww..

bloody sunday
01-24-2014, 09:54 AM
When I ride by myself, I wear one ear bud on my right side. I've never had an issue, but isn't to say it won't happen eventually. I tend to err on the side of caution, but music is vital to my rhythm on the bike - I do obey all traffic laws, though.

MattTuck
01-24-2014, 09:57 AM
I have never listened to music on the bike, and in fact just started listening to headphones while on the trainer. I think this is a fine use, but seeing how it really isolates me from the rest of my environment, I'd never consider it while riding outside.

hummus_aquinas
01-24-2014, 10:29 AM
I ride with headphones but only playing eddie money's "two tickets to paradise" on repeat.

cinema
01-24-2014, 11:00 AM
One earbud on right side as well. I can hear everything. It's also legal so I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise. When I have a basket up front, I use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Micro-Wireless-Ultra-Portable-Connectivity/dp/B009AYLDSU

redir
01-24-2014, 11:04 AM
I think the point the OP was trying to make is that in addition to any of the reasons why you think it's bad or good to wear ear buds if it comes to a court room near you the lawyers job becomes that much easier.

But now that it's morphed into an ear bud vs no ear bud thread I'll just say that I've been blessed and typically can hear what ever music I want to in the comfort of my own head without the necessary equipment :)

bicycletricycle
01-24-2014, 02:06 PM
I ride everyday with headphones. Living in the edge I guess. Seems like no matter what cyclists are losing the case in court, might as well be comfortable.

sixgears
01-24-2014, 10:20 PM
... but I stopped. Too many idiots on the roads in New Jersey. Luckily, some of the roads I ride on, although busy at times, are regular cycling routes so the drivers that live in the area know to watch out and be careful around us. I can't say the same for the horse riders that frequent the roads and leave nature's bounty along the way!

onekgguy
01-24-2014, 11:15 PM
I ride everyday with headphones. Living in the edge I guess. Seems like no matter what cyclists are losing the case in court, might as well be comfortable.

Exactly! I've ridden with music for more than 10 years. So, what exactly do those of you who frown on earphones while riding do when you hear the sound of vehicles behind you? How does that change what you do on the bike? You either ride a straight line or you don't. The vehicle is either going to take you out or it's not. With or without earphones will matter not in the least. I'm really at a loss to understand how having headphones in changes anything in the end.

I use a small Viewpoint mirror (http://www.amazon.com/Cycleaware-Viewpoint-Eyewear-Mirror-Round/dp/B00012345A) which does more for me than my ears ever will.

Kevin g

zap
01-25-2014, 07:36 AM
Exactly! I've ridden with music for more than 10 years. So, what exactly do those of you who frown on earphones while riding do when you hear the sound of vehicles behind you? How does that change what you do on the bike? You either ride a straight line or you don't.
Kevin g

Jump the effing curb or guard rail or crash into trees or......

A few years ago out on a normally quite country road, I heard a semi coming up fast behind me. I was on a descent going around a right hand bend and hearing this semi approaching from behind I thought damn, if there is oncoming traffic there is a good chance Zap would get squeezed and have bits torn off by truck and guardrail. I seriously gave thought to jumping the guardrail if needed but thinking it better be a damn good jump to clear those sharp corners these support beams have.

I decided to be safe and figure on traffic coming up the hill so I hit the brakes hard. Good thing as oncoming traffic forced the semi close to the guardrail seveal yards in front of me.

If I had on earphones and listening to music, I would not have heard the semi as quickly as I did and at those speeds (me at 40mph truck around 70) resulting in reduced options.

There are so many variables out there that one needs all the tools mother nature gave us to improve our odds. Having above normal bike handling skills increases options.

Chris
01-25-2014, 07:39 AM
Exactly! I've ridden with music for more than 10 years. So, what exactly do those of you who frown on earphones while riding do when you hear the sound of vehicles behind you? How does that change what you do on the bike? You either ride a straight line or you don't. The vehicle is either going to take you out or it's not. With or without earphones will matter not in the least. I'm really at a loss to understand how having headphones in changes anything in the end.

I use a small Viewpoint mirror (http://www.amazon.com/Cycleaware-Viewpoint-Eyewear-Mirror-Round/dp/B00012345A) which does more for me than my ears ever will.

Kevin g

Word. I've ridden with headphones since I started riding in 1985. Never had a headphone related issue. I like my rides having a soundtrack. Now I listen to a lot of podcasts or iTunes U lectures. I personally just don't see think that hearing a car a second later is going to save my life when the texting driver is half on and half off the road behind me on the day when it finally happens. Until then I will take the risk. To me it's an 'to each their own' debate and I get so tired of the pedantic comments about it.

93legendti
01-25-2014, 08:08 AM
I keep my phone in my back pocket and listen to music from the phone's speaker(s). I never liked headphones.
I hear traffic as well as I ever do without music and walkers with dogs hear me and give me a wide berth. ymmv.

fuzzalow
01-25-2014, 08:16 AM
There are certain combinations in life's experiences that are IMO sheer abominations. Riding a bike with earbuds, listening to music or hate-talk radio or whatever mass media drivel is one of those abominations. A good bike ride is simple purity with the wind in your ears and the tranquil thrum of a good tubular on asphalt. Take that goodness and instead slobber it down with cheesy music or mind vomit bleating in your ear as a way to ameliorate your ADD.

Good music requires attentiveness to be enjoyed so I don't think there's anything good being played while riding with earbuds. Those earbuds that isolate you on your subway ride to work or from the heaving, sweaty guy on the treadmill next to you at the gym have no place out on the open road on a bicycle. Bad combination that only takes away from the good qualities of either.

Save your effort instead for the making other combinations that work, I'd suggest trying a few of these: lobster & melted butter; a 60-watt bulb & a good book; caviar & toast points; sex & select contraband. There's lots of good stuff out there, just take a moment to consider and to be selective.

bloody sunday
01-25-2014, 10:16 AM
so, for the people that do use earbuds, do you put them in both ears, or just one?

i only have them in my right ear, so I can hear traffic on my left

Chris
01-25-2014, 10:40 AM
There are certain combinations in life's experiences that are IMO sheer abominations. Riding a bike with earbuds, listening to music or hate-talk radio or whatever mass media drivel is one of those abominations. A good bike ride is simple purity with the wind in your ears and the tranquil thrum of a good tubular on asphalt. Take that goodness and instead slobber it down with cheesy music or mind vomit bleating in your ear as a way to ameliorate your ADD.

Good music requires attentiveness to be enjoyed so I don't think there's anything good being played while riding with earbuds. Those earbuds that isolate you on your subway ride to work or from the heaving, sweaty guy on the treadmill next to you at the gym have no place out on the open road on a bicycle. Bad combination that only takes away from the good qualities of either.

Save your effort instead for the making other combinations that work, I'd suggest trying a few of these: lobster & melted butter; a 60-watt bulb & a good book; caviar & toast points; sex & select contraband. There's lots of good stuff out there, just take a moment to consider and to be selective.

And I prove my point. I'm okay with you not wearing ear buds. Why can't people get that when someone enjoys an experience differently from someone else that it doesn't have to be an "abomination?"

fuzzalow
01-25-2014, 11:30 AM
And I prove my point. I'm okay with you not wearing ear buds. Why can't people get that when someone enjoys an experience differently from someone else that it doesn't have to be an "abomination?"

Hi Chris. My reply was not targeted at "you" but rather at the figurative "you" which is a targeting of my remarks at the idea and practice of riding with earbuds. It is somewhat sloppy of me to use this pattern of speech in writing my posts and I apologize for my lack of clarity - if my counterpoint were targeted specifically to you I would have quoted your post in my reply.

Back to the discussion: these forums toss about discussion of ideas, not aimed as personal comments or attacks. The biggest thing about this is that not everybody's comments carry equal weight. So I'll hoist myself on my own petard and say that if you think I am a yahoo for writing absurdities in this forum, well then you soon come to know better than to give anything I say a second thought. And that is the beauty of bringing all sorts of folks together into this diverse Paceline forum. But what initially sounds like nuts may not always be nuts because sometimes you don't know what you don't know.

For example: many years ago before I learned how to drink single malt Scotch, I would drink it over ice or with water. One day, a gentleman sitting near me at a restaurant bar was served Lagavulin neat. As we were both drinking single malts, I tilted my glass of Macallan to him. He glanced down at my ice filled tumbler and with the subtlest of smirks, tipped his glass towards me. Was this guy a yahoo, a jerk or somebody who knew something? People gotta size up other people for themselves. There is the old saying that water seeks its own level. From that day forwards, I drink my Scotch, or bourbon, neat.

ik2280
01-25-2014, 11:35 AM
When I'm riding in a group (or even just with one friend), I leave the headphones at home. But when I'm doing some longer rides by myself, I have these special headphones that don't cancel outside noises. I'll wear just one of them in my right ear at pretty low volume. It's just like background music. I can always hear cars and pedestrians. Would never wear them in both ears, or with louder music, though.

bloody sunday
01-25-2014, 12:18 PM
When I'm riding in a group (or even just with one friend), I leave the headphones at home. But when I'm doing some longer rides by myself, I have these special headphones that don't cancel outside noises. I'll wear just one of them in my right ear at pretty low volume. It's just like background music. I can always hear cars and pedestrians. Would never wear them in both ears, or with louder music, though.

exactly what I do.

and most of the time, it's not even music - I listen to podcasts.

kykr13
01-25-2014, 01:02 PM
I listen to a lot of podcasts, and a lot of times I get pretty drawn into a good story. In a case like that, I wouldn't be paying attention to the road. No ear buds on the bike for me, but each his own - at least when they're on their own...

onekgguy
01-25-2014, 02:15 PM
so, for the people that do use earbuds, do you put them in both ears, or just one?

i only have them in my right ear, so I can hear traffic on my left

I have them in both ears. I like stereo :-)

Kevin g

sixgears
01-25-2014, 02:37 PM
I think the OP's point was that, if you were ever in an accident with a car or pedestrian and you were wearing headphones, you're going to be out of luck in trying to prove your case, that is, if you're still able to.

Frankwurst
01-25-2014, 04:49 PM
I only wear earbuds when I'm going to wear a helmet. :beer:

PQJ
01-25-2014, 07:50 PM
For example: many years ago before I learned how to drink single malt Scotch, I would drink it over ice or with water. One day, a gentleman sitting near me at a restaurant bar was served Lagavulin neat. As we were both drinking single malts, I tilted my glass of Macallan to him. He glanced down at my ice filled tumbler and with the subtlest of smirks, tipped his glass towards me. Was this guy a yahoo, a jerk or somebody who knew something? People gotta size up other people for themselves. There is the old saying that water seeks its own level. From that day forwards, I drink my Scotch, or bourbon, neat.

I'd say yahoo and/or jerk (him, not you). First off, because if I'm to believe at least one article, he is wrong (see: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-drink-scotch-like-a-scotsman-2013-12; there might be contrary opinions, but I didn't take the time too look). Second, and probably more important, if he takes issue with the way you drink your scotch, I'd say he has bigger problems he should be worrying about. You should drink your scotch however you damn please. Personally, I drink red wine with fish, even though I know that in the eyes of certain so-called oenophiles, it makes me a troglodyte. Doesn't bother me, since I'm not a fan of white wine, but I am of red. As for my scotch, sometimes neat, sometimes with a splash of water, sometimes with ice, and yes, sometimes even with Coke (a cola, that is).

fuzzalow
01-26-2014, 08:19 AM
I'd say yahoo and/or jerk (him, not you). First off, because if I'm to believe at least one article, he is wrong (see: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-drink-scotch-like-a-scotsman-2013-12; there might be contrary opinions, but I didn't take the time too look). Second, and probably more important, if he takes issue with the way you drink your scotch, I'd say he has bigger problems he should be worrying about. You should drink your scotch however you damn please. Personally, I drink red wine with fish, even though I know that in the eyes of certain so-called oenophiles, it makes me a troglodyte. Doesn't bother me, since I'm not a fan of white wine, but I am of red. As for my scotch, sometimes neat, sometimes with a splash of water, sometimes with ice, and yes, sometimes even with Coke (a cola, that is).

HaHa, thanks for the sentiment of your post. This is one of those anecdotes that is much better recounted while we are sitting at the bar or table so that I could mimic the facial expression and the tip of the glass. The gentleman's gesture wasn't a put down and I think he was just noting that there are other ways one can imbibe Scotch and that's how I took his meaning to be.

I read him as having cred so I did later try drinking Scotch neat and it worked for me. Guys like that don't take random digs at how strangers drink Scotch while waiting for a table at Morton's - if he were an insecure older guy he'd flaunt his smokin' hot trophy wife/mistress at me before taking his table.

How this story fits in with the discussion on ear buds is so tenuous that it is even lost on me now. But the point I was trying to make is that everybody sometimes do things just because it was the way they have always done it - be it wearing ear buds while cycling or drinking single malt with ice. Sometimes we don't even know how it became habit, it just became that way. But there are other ways to do those activities that other enthusiasts may suggest - as in cycling without ear buds or drinking single malt neat. And as both of these suggestions come from arguably more knowledgable members and are reflective of a more purist approach (cycling sans ear buds & Scotch sans ice) maybe those suggestions are worth a try.

It is just a suggestion that a person can view with an open mind or misconstrue as something negative.

This is far afield from the OP, but it is not much of a revelation that a lawyer will use ear buds as an basis for denying an accident claim so we might as well have a maelstrom with this line of discussion instead.

djg
01-26-2014, 08:50 AM
I have never listened to music on the bike, and in fact just started listening to headphones while on the trainer. I think this is a fine use, but seeing how it really isolates me from the rest of my environment, I'd never consider it while riding outside.

But how will you hear oncoming traffic . . . in your basement?

And without an earpiece, how am I going to get instructions from the team car as I commute to work?

Tony T
01-26-2014, 10:19 AM
I think the OP's point was that, if you were ever in an accident with a car or pedestrian and you were wearing headphones, you're going to be out of luck in trying to prove your case, that is, if you're still able to.

Well, since the cyclist will lose the case anyway (we're always in the wrong based on recent cases), might as well listen to some `tunes. :)