PDA

View Full Version : Blue Competition Cycles rising from the grave

FlashUNC
01-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Looks like they're been bought out of bankruptcy by another backer and will have some new bikes coming out shortly. Good to see at least one company come back out from the DCG debacle.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/01/21/blue-competition-cycles-back-new-models-coming-for-2015/

Bruce K
01-22-2014, 09:00 AM
I heard that as well

Good to see

BK

Keith A
01-22-2014, 09:46 AM
Glad to see them recovering from this huge mess with DCG.

wasfast
01-22-2014, 08:35 PM
They had been advertising a new Tri/TT bike for 2013 on their website before all the "challenges". Rumor was that there was a full container(s) of them sitting on the dock to be sent to the states but lack of funds left it sitting there. That notion would back the "ownership by anonomous Taiwan company" mentioned by Steve in the article above.

oldpotatoe
01-23-2014, 07:24 AM
Glad to see them recovering from this huge mess with DCG.

WEll, yes, DCG didn't 'help' them, but as a former Blue dealer, Blue was already in deep financial trouble, along with madfibre and serotta, before DCG stepped in and finally made it all go really way south.

I have no love for DCG, but the mentioned companies were already circling the bowl before DCG.

bcroslin
01-23-2014, 07:47 AM
Is it me or does the Blue TT bike in background of the photo look like a copy of a BMC Time Machine?

Lewis Moon
01-23-2014, 07:47 AM
WEll, yes, DCG didn't 'help' them, but as a former Blue dealer, Blue was already in deep financial trouble, along with madfibre and serotta, before DCG stepped in and finally made it all go really way south.

I have no love for DCG, but the mentioned companies were already circling the bowl before DCG.

As a former dealer, any opinions? I was sorely tempted by the very nice price one of their road frames was being offered for.

oldpotatoe
01-23-2014, 07:54 AM
As a former dealer, any opinions? I was sorely tempted by the very nice price one of their road frames was being offered for.

Our biggest beefs was 3

-Bike for bike, when comparing groups and such, the Blue's were much more expensive than a trekspecializedgiant-type...

-Their availability was poor to say the least

-the original owners, and they are long gone, I think, administratively, were clueless, and then very rude, at least to me. Started as a bunch of guys that sourced diving equipment from Taiwan(PSI), then got into bikes, using their Taiwanese connections.

Decent product, small company, not really innovative..tried to market as a 'small' company, but doing to do the same things as the other, asian sourced bike makers did..but less efficiently.

dekindy
01-23-2014, 08:19 AM
Nobody will notice either way.

RonW87
01-23-2014, 08:43 AM
Is it just me? I don't get bike companies named after a colour. "Blue", "Velo Orange" and I think there's a UK company called "Orange" as well. What if you want a Green Blue or a Yellow Orange?

Ti Designs
01-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Is it just me? I don't get bike companies named after a colour.

Blue is strong, red is fast.

Climb01742
01-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Naming a company 'Yellow' might prove problematic.

Unless you made submarines, of course.

572cv
01-23-2014, 09:15 AM
Yellow is problematic, but Jaune might work, has that je ne sais quois.:)

Naked is already a bike!

Idris Icabod
01-23-2014, 09:33 AM
Is it just me? I don't get bike companies named after a colour. "Blue", "Velo Orange" and I think there's a UK company called "Orange" as well. What if you want a Green Blue or a Yellow Orange?

I lusted after Orange bikes (and Pace) when I was a grad student back in the UK 20 years ago. Judging by the logo, this Orange is named after a fruit and not a colour. Their model names were cool (Vit C, Clockwork...)

KJMUNC
01-23-2014, 10:20 AM
-the original owners, and they are long gone, I think, administratively, were clueless, and then very rude, at least to me. Started as a bunch of guys that sourced diving equipment from Taiwan(PSI), then got into bikes, using their Taiwanese connections.

Decent product, small company, not really innovative..tried to market as a 'small' company, but doing to do the same things as the other, asian sourced bike makers did..but less efficiently.

Yep, that was pretty much the situation as I know if from several folks who helped run the operations there. Owners had little/no desire to be involved in daily business dealings but had no problem taking $$ out of the business on an regular basis which led to major cashflow issues, and ultimately their demise.

CunegoFan
01-23-2014, 10:53 AM

I don't get why anyone would use a single adjective that can be applied to bikes in general as a bike company name in the age of Google and other search engines. People searching for information about "blue bike" will get a lot of results for bikes that are blue. Stupid.

Idris Icabod
01-23-2014, 11:01 AM
I don't get why anyone would use a single adjective that can be applied to bikes in general as a bike company name in the age of Google and other search engines. People searching for information about "blue bike" will get a lot of results for bikes that are blue. Stupid.

I think at least Orange bikes predate the widespread emergence of the internet. I know I didn't have e-mail back then.

oldpotatoe
01-23-2014, 01:05 PM

Or red red, red black or red yellow?

RedRider
01-23-2014, 01:12 PM
"In The Black" is what I am hoping for...

Mark McM
01-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Looks like they're been bought out of bankruptcy by another backer and will have some new bikes coming out shortly. Good to see at least one company come back out from the DCG debacle.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/01/21/blue-competition-cycles-back-new-models-coming-for-2015/

I wouldn't celebrate too soon. When Blue Competition Cycles went out of business, there were a large number of bike completed and just sitting in a factory in Taiwan that BCC couldn't afford to pay for. This left the factory in the lurch with a large stock of Blue Competition bikes they couldn't sell.

From the article, and the comments from Steve Harrad attached, it sounds like the factory sitting on the inventory just bought the rights to the name and are setting up an office in the US so they can sell out the inventory they are sitting on. After they sell out that inventory, they'll probably reassess whether to keep the brand alive - and I'd bet that the units will move so slowly they won't bother to keep it going.