PDA

View Full Version : DaLuca and doping

oldpotatoe
01-22-2014, 07:46 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/di-luca-90-per-cent-of-riders-in-giro-ditalia-were-doping

His and Talansky's quotes sound familiar.."Is so, Is NOT, Is so, IS NOT....

RedRider
01-22-2014, 07:51 AM
You can't say doping without a dope...

FlashUNC
01-22-2014, 08:02 AM
Herbie Sykes had an interesting chapter on the subject in his book about the Giro -- Maglia Rosa.

Makes a rather convincing case that the Italians above all others have clung to the "old ways" of doing things. Part culture of the country, part nature of how blood doping originated in Italy (particularly with Francesco Moser) and lionization of those who were involved in blood doping years (Moser, Pantani, etc), it's left the sport in Italy stuck in something of a parochial past. Meanwhile, the Anglos have come in beating the clean sport drum, and it's something at odds with the continental traditionalists who have always had dope as part of the sport, whether it was amphetamines, booze or EPO.

Not surprising to hear this from DiLuca really.

sales guy
01-22-2014, 08:25 AM
I'm surprised he only said 90 percent! Im guessing higher than 90. If he has nothing to lose now, and isn't being paid for the interview, go for it. Lay it all out there and tell the truth. If he's self sufficient and all, I hope more people do what he's doing. The difference is when people start writing books to support their failed legal cases. He doesn't have an ongoing case. He isn't racing. Unless he's being sued for salary he received when he was doping, he has his own thing going and let it out.

AgilisMerlin
01-22-2014, 09:56 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/di-luca-90-per-cent-of-riders-in-giro-ditalia-were-doping / under comments

GuyIncognito18 hours ago
'I was always a champion'. Sure you were.

Aldo Sassi said it best. Basso is a natural engine on drugs, Di Luca is just on drugs.

http://designsuperstars.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/yPKWK2.gif

LegendRider
01-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Steve Tilford usually has insightful comments about doping:

http://stevetilford.com/2014/01/22/di-luca-or-talansky-who-to-believe/comment-page-1/#comment-52758

Fixed
01-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Morality can not be legislated
Cheers

rain dogs
01-22-2014, 02:18 PM
Mr. Tilford... remember, it's pelo..(like velo)...ton, peloton. Side note, I think peloton is the cycling term that people misspell on the most regular basis. But his article is tempered and fair.

I say CONI is doing the right thing, call him in. If DiLuca makes this claim, history has told us that discounting it completely, is naive.

However, if you're going to make the claim, you better back it up, because history has shown us we ALSO have no reason to have any faith in a word that DiLuca says.

We'll listen, but he's gotta bring the goods (a la Manzano, Hamilton, Landis etc.)

I can tell you this. IF he speaks the truth, cycling is in for a whole lotta hurt.

djdj
01-22-2014, 04:42 PM
All he knows is what he reads on the internet . . . :p

CunegoFan
01-22-2014, 06:11 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/di-luca-90-per-cent-of-riders-in-giro-ditalia-were-doping

His and Talansky's quotes sound familiar.."Is so, Is NOT, Is so, IS NOT....

Talansky's quotes are from Twitter. Guess whose gran fondo he was pimping right before bagging on DiLuca.

http://i.imgur.com/vyfCP7V.jpg

oldpotatoe
01-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Talansky's quotes are from Twitter. Guess whose gran fondo he was pimping right before bagging on DiLuca.

http://i.imgur.com/vyfCP7V.jpg

I guess he doesn't have much hate for that doper. Quite the hypocrit.

don compton
01-22-2014, 07:30 PM
I guess he doesn't have much hate for that doper. Quite the hypocrit.
Bottom line, keep your mouth shut? No win situation for any current pro.

1centaur
01-22-2014, 07:47 PM
Maybe he thinks there is a line between lying and "worthless lying scumbag making false statements that hurt the sport."

mcewen
01-22-2014, 08:27 PM
His name is Danilo Di Luca.

"... and Pat, I would like to buy a vowel, an 'e' for hypocrite."

CunegoFan
01-22-2014, 08:29 PM
Maybe he thinks there is a line between lying and "worthless lying scumbag making false statements that hurt the sport."

Then again...maybe not. This is what he tweeted right before Armstrong went down:

“don’t care what you think of @lancearmstrong, USADA really shouldn’t repeatedly accuse someone of something with ZERO hard evidence.”

This from a guy on a team filled with people who gave evidence to USADA. The team owner/manager, ex-Postie J. Vaughters, has repeatedly said he is honest with all his riders about his history and experience with doping. Every fan with a brain knew Armstrong was doping, and they did not have the benefit of being surrounded by people who could give them exact details. Yet Talansky found the need to defend poor, old, innocent Armstrong, who was being victimized by the evil USADA.

mcewen
01-22-2014, 08:41 PM
Herbie Sykes had an interesting chapter on the subject in his book about the Giro -- Maglia Rosa.

Makes a rather convincing case that the Italians above all others have clung to the "old ways" of doing things. Part culture of the country, part nature of how blood doping originated in Italy (particularly with Francesco Moser) and lionization of those who were involved in blood doping years (Moser, Pantani, etc), it's left the sport in Italy stuck in something of a parochial past. Meanwhile, the Anglos have come in beating the clean sport drum, and it's something at odds with the continental traditionalists who have always had dope as part of the sport, whether it was amphetamines, booze or EPO.

Not surprising to hear this from DiLuca really.

Blood doping originated in Sweden in 1947, and they were pioneers of it throughout the 50s, 60s and 70s.

The Italians really took it up in a larger way in the 80s, but even that was not EPO-boosting. In cycling the Italians were one of many nations to adopt EPO in a big way in the early 90s, indeed around 1990. They were not alone though. Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, United States ... all the cycling powerhouses adopted it.

oldpotatoe
01-23-2014, 07:14 AM
Bottom line, keep your mouth shut? No win situation for any current pro.

I don't know but do 'clean' cyclists in the peloton know of doping that go on? I'll bet they do, but Omerta says they want to keep their jobs, so stay quiet. Are former pros, who deny, deny, deny, then retire and spill their guts, are they trying to help the sport? I don't think so..they are trying to avoid penalties or having their biz hurt(Hincapie)...trying to make themselves feel better, make $(Landis), or have a axe to grind with somebody who treated them poorly(put name of LA associate here).

Doping in the TdF but not the Giro? Hardly...also in the Vuelta? Of course.

Doping in soccer, cross country skiing, NASCAR, golf, etc., any alphabet US sport(MLB, NHL, NBA, NHL)..always will be..but it's entertainment..so watch if ya like, don't if ya don't.

BUT MCEWEN, nailed it..blood doping, using your own blood, is the prime 'doping' method being used today, as it is undetectable, IMHO.

I guess what peeves me is the pros who stand up and whine about the hate, sickened, blah, blah, when they KNOW it is/was going on...but choose not to..dope.

All this 'righteous indignation'...crap..then shill for some doper's granfondo..wanker...

FlashUNC
01-23-2014, 07:59 AM
Blood doping originated in Sweden in 1947, and they were pioneers of it throughout the 50s, 60s and 70s.

The Italians really took it up in a larger way in the 80s, but even that was not EPO-boosting. In cycling the Italians were one of many nations to adopt EPO in a big way in the early 90s, indeed around 1990. They were not alone though. Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, United States ... all the cycling powerhouses adopted it.

The Italians were some of the early adopters. Look at Moser's rather inhuman rebound and suddenly extended career in the early 80s. Breaking the Hour record twice in five days, all with the aid of Francesco Conconi. The Italians had a pretty concerted blood transfusion program in the early 80's under Conconi, including the '84 Olympics. No surprise that one of Conconi's proteges was Michele Ferrari.

Were they the only ones doing it? No, but as with many things, the Italians were some of the first on the scene.

Black Dog
01-23-2014, 08:02 AM
The Italians were some of the early adopters. Look at Moser's rather inhuman rebound and suddenly extended career in the early 80s. Breaking the Hour record twice in five days, all with the aid of Francesco Conconi. The Italians had a pretty concerted blood transfusion program in the early 80's under Conconi, including the '84 Olympics. No surprise that one of Conconi's proteges was Michele Ferrari.

Were they the only ones doing it? No, but as with many things, the Italians were some of the first on the scene.

The US olympic program had some good blood doping before the 1984 games as did the East Germans.

Joachim
01-23-2014, 08:05 AM
I raced in 1996 against Roberto Sgambelluri (then part of the U23 Italian National team) at a semi-classic called Hasselt-Spa-Hasselt in Belgium. They basically rode away from everyone like we were standing still after 150km. He then went on to win the "Baby" Giro, get a silver medal in both the U23 world RR and TT in Lugano. in 2002 he was one of the first to be caught with then the "new" epo called NESP. Lets just say that everyone knew in 1996 what everyone else was doing.

tiretrax
01-23-2014, 08:51 PM
The US olympic program had some good blood doping before the 1984 games as did the East Germans.

On what basis do you say that?

e-RICHIE
01-23-2014, 09:10 PM

Because it's true, and a fact atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:cool::cool::cool:
:cool::cool::rolleyes:

gianni
01-23-2014, 09:19 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1119061

It should be noted that Eddie B did not support the decision. As others have mentioned, blood doping --albeit old school-- has been around for a long time.

It cracks me up that the current riders claim full stop on doping after 2010 -- funny.

tiretrax
01-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Because it's true, and a fact atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:cool::cool::rolleyes:

Thanks - I can't say it was before my time, but I was buried deep in grad school and don't really remember much of what went on outside my oyster in that period of my life.

oldpotatoe
01-24-2014, 07:39 AM

It was legal before 1984, using your own blood and was very common, even with the US Olympic teams.

bluesea
01-24-2014, 07:47 AM
Morality can not be legislated
Cheers

In the west you go to hell, while in Italy you go to confession. It has been legislated.