PDA

View Full Version : Nahbs

civdic
01-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Bought tickets today for NAHBS for me and my two sons. We are driving down from the great white north. A question for the Forum Members who have attended. Did you guys find that three days were too much or was three full days just right to see everything?

SamIAm
01-21-2014, 05:16 PM
Bought tickets today for NAHBS for me and my two sons. We are driving down from the great white north. A question for the Forum Members who have attended. Did you guys find that three days were too much or was three full days just right to see everything?

I'm sure if varies depending on the individual, but 3 seems like too much. I am typically done after 1.5-2 days.

I will be there this year after a 2 year break, its so close it would be criminal not to drive up.

d_douglas
01-21-2014, 05:26 PM
I'm sure if varies depending on the individual, but 3 seems like too much. I am typically done after 1.5-2 days.

I will be there this year after a 2 year break, its so close it would be criminal not to drive up.

I'd second that based on last years experience. But (as a fellow Canuck) if you are driving that far, you might as well stay and explore for a few days as well :)

Ahneida Ride
01-21-2014, 05:32 PM
2 full days is about right

1 full day is too brief

There is a lot to see. Stop, talk, listen, and engage the builders.

It is a great show. Really is ...

civdic
01-21-2014, 06:12 PM
I bought tickets for all three days. I might break it up a bit. Morning one afternoon the next. I'll probably mix it up with some other sight seeing and touring around. I've heard a lot about it and I'm looking forward to attending.

dbrown
01-21-2014, 06:18 PM
I was surprised to see that the exhibitor list does not include Dave Kirk, Strong, and Richard Sachs, among others. I hope they will be there!

Louis
01-21-2014, 06:18 PM
Unless your sons are insanely into bikes, three days are almost certainly too many. I'm into bikes, but after a while I just max out and start to loose interest. Sort of like visiting the Metropolitan Museum in NY - how much of the greatest art ever can you absorb in a short period of time?

I'd say one day could well be enough, maybe 1.5 if you want to have in-depth conversations with more than just a handful of folks. Anything more than 1.5 days would be for the really hard-core, or someone who has a bunch of friends exhibiting and has lots of catching up to do.

Enjoy.

FlashUNC
01-21-2014, 06:26 PM
Bring a bike. We'll go ride.

Ken Robb
01-21-2014, 06:31 PM
If you just want to see some cool bikes and stuff one day may be enough. If you want to have some in-depth conversations to choose a builder for a custom bike you will probably need a second day. I can't imagine needing a third day.

witcombusa
01-21-2014, 06:37 PM
If you just want to see some cool bikes and stuff one day may be enough. If you want to have some in-depth conversations to choose a builder for a custom bike you will probably need a second day. I can't imagine needing a third day.

This ^

One full day will satisfy many. It's all I'd need for sure unless I was seriously shopping...and even then one day might still do it as my list would not be that long.

Save the second day for some riding!

civdic
01-21-2014, 06:40 PM
I've owned an A-Train and currently have a custom moots so I'd like to touch base with the builders. I was looking at the exhibitor list as well and saw a few names that at e missing. I was also told by an exhibitor that the show it pretty laid back so exhibitors sometimes sign up at the late. Regardless I'm excited.

Does this forum organize a NAHBS ride????? Could be fun!

likebikes
01-21-2014, 07:00 PM
will other builders be setting up a "not affiliated with nahbs" show running concurrently with the regular nahbs show just as last year?

EricEstlund
01-21-2014, 07:08 PM
Geesh, I hope not.

pdmtong
01-21-2014, 07:12 PM
I've been to #3 and #8

IMHO one day is enough if you just want to stroll around, have some brief chats and be done. You might leave wanting a bit more time, but you will have gotten 90% of it.

Two days is fine if you are serious about ordering and want to have a handful of meaningful chats with the builders. If that is the case, have some specific questions in mind so your conversation is crisp. they don't have hours to talk to you AND everyone else too.

Three days...uh...no. I really can't imagine needing three days, even if you are, like me, easily distracted.

Bring some cash if you like schwag. And buy all your stuff on day one since folks sell out of what they brought.

Bring a camera, if you want to take a pic with your builder. I gave up taking pics of bikes since now you can go look on any number of flickr sites and there are more and better pics than the ones I took. plus, you will always see something in a pic you wished you spent more time looking at or known about at the show.

I guess you could use three days to attend some sessions.

How old are your boys? if they are young being there will make them crazy and that will make you crazy. So I guess the three half days would be the call.

FlashUNC
01-21-2014, 07:14 PM
I've owned an A-Train and currently have a custom moots so I'd like to touch base with the builders. I was looking at the exhibitor list as well and saw a few names that at e missing. I was also told by an exhibitor that the show it pretty laid back so exhibitors sometimes sign up at the late. Regardless I'm excited.

Does this forum organize a NAHBS ride????? Could be fun!

I'll post a ride or two and some routes. But a Paceline ride is a great idea I think.

RedRider
01-21-2014, 08:44 PM
There are a lot of other things to do in Charlotte if your boys aren't up for 3 full days of NAHBS. The NASCAR Hall of Fame, art & history museums and I've been told there's a kart track.
See you there...

Ahneida Ride
01-21-2014, 10:16 PM
If you find a builder you wish to engage ...

get there early at 9:30 when the show opens.
He'll have time to talk.

R2D2
01-22-2014, 08:48 AM
I'll post a ride or two and some routes. But a Paceline ride is a great idea I think.

I'd be down for that and off my butt traing again.

We have great varied terrain in Charlotte area.
Some flats, rollers and even our mini Morrow Mt.

My bro Mike will be down here with a large Raleigh crew too.

R2D2
01-22-2014, 09:11 AM
There are a lot of other things to do in Charlotte if your boys aren't up for 3 full days of NAHBS. The NASCAR Hall of Fame, art & history museums and I've been told there's a kart track.
See you there...

There's an indoor cart track.
And also the big track. For like 300.00 (maybe be more now), they let you run a car around the Motor Speedway for 5 or 6 laps. You get in a flame suit and helmet. They show the kill switch and send you out after a chase car to show the lines in the turns. Can average 140 or so.

nicrump
01-22-2014, 01:24 PM
with a large Raleigh crew too.

can i ask what this means?

FlashUNC
01-22-2014, 01:43 PM
can i ask what this means?

People from Raleigh, NC, I'm guessing.

nicrump
01-22-2014, 01:52 PM
People from Raleigh, NC, I'm guessing.

DOH! sorry, i saw a brand in there.

R2D2
01-22-2014, 02:32 PM
DOH! sorry, i saw a brand in there.

No Problem.

So second nature around here that I didn't even think of the brand.

Although we all cut our teeth on Raleigh Internationals.