PDA

View Full Version : shoe covers

eddief
01-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Being the fair weather N Cal rider that I am I only have some funky neoprene toe covers I wear once in a while. However, I just made reservations for a March bike camp in Mallorca Spain (poor me).

I think the potential for rain, but not too cold is pretty likely.

Any recommendations for which shoe covers would be the best? Defeets look just like big socks, and then there's full neoprene. What would be the happy medium?

Dr. Doofus
01-27-2006, 12:47 PM
under 50 : neoprene

under 55: an 8-year old pair of descente socks with cleat holes cut in the bottom

doof doesn't have the disposable income to rationalize having three or four pairs of shoe covers.

spiderman
01-27-2006, 01:18 PM
and bought my wife and me
shower's pass
jackets, pants, hoods and shoe covers.
they're a great layer
for rain, snow, sleet and hail.
...although i really don't like riding in hail much...

Ozz
01-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Going to Spain?
Gotta get Etxe Ondo:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7213921039&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

These are borderline too small for me, otherwise I would not have shared. ;)

bironi
01-27-2006, 01:31 PM
I recently bought some Garneau's from Performance for 19.99. They go over the shoe easily, are fairly thin, and do the job well. This coming for a PNW rider. We just set a record with 35 straight days of rain.

Byron

bironi
01-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Here tis:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=17716&item=10-3970&slitrk=search&slisearch=true

MartyE
01-27-2006, 01:48 PM
For those few days here in texas when it actually gets cold
PI Calientoes work fine for me.
for colder temps (below 40) I'd go with full neoprene covers.

marty

Argos
01-27-2006, 01:52 PM
I have these, but they work better with my Mtn bike then My road bike. I think I need to trim them, cause they are killing my Q-Factor.

http://www.halloweencostumes4u.com/hallowee/closeups/851.jpg

coylifut
01-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Here tis:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=17716&item=10-3970&slitrk=search&slisearch=true

that's a smokin deal. I have 4 pairs of shoe covers. soon to have 5.

93legendti
01-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Being the fair weather N Cal rider that I am I only have some funky neoprene toe covers I wear once in a while. However, I just made reservations for a March bike camp in Mallorca Spain (poor me).

I think the potential for rain, but not too cold is pretty likely.

Any recommendations for which shoe covers would be the best? Defeets look just like big socks, and then there's full neoprene. What would be the happy medium?

I've been to Majorca 4 times for bike camp in the 1rst week of February...it was never colder than 50 degrees. The nice days were 60 degrees. I wore smart wool socks and toe covers (Girodana or Gators), knee warmers, a vest, light full finger gloves, arm warmers and/or a nice thermal jersey and was plenty warm even on the days it rained. By March you should be getting consistent 60 degree days.
Once, I was climbing at a steady pace with Stephen Roche, it was 50 degree and a might chilly, but I was dressed with the above stuff, so I was comfortable. Stephen had a jersey and shorts on --nothin' else. If he had a base layer on, it was thin. Near the top of the climb he turned to me and said I was dressed for the Arctic--then he dropped us all. Before we lost sight of him on the descent he was cornering so hard that his tires were hissing.

Anyway, any toe covers and warm socks should be sufficient in March.

shaq-d
01-28-2006, 12:17 AM
whatever shoe cover you get, make sure it has a velcro, and not a zipper, enclosure. zippers break a lot in that area. velcro is key.

neoprene is nice. i've used that.. currently using a prorace or wahtever it's called from probikekit.com. just great.

sd

eddief
01-28-2006, 08:57 AM
The ones from Performance appear to be a great compromise. Maybe overkill for 50 degrees, but better safe than sorry. Can always take em off, but can't put em on if ya don't have em.

skyflash
01-28-2006, 07:37 PM
I just got a pair of Pearl Izumi for Christmas, and used them once so far in 30s degree weather. Very nice and warm. But you probably don't need something like that for Spain.