PDA

View Full Version : Serotta axes some models

rnhood
03-09-2004, 08:58 PM
and farewell to the Rapid Tour, a nice multi-purpose bike for a reasonable amount of money. Oh well, at least the Csi made the cut, though it is not the bargain that the RT was.

http://www.serotta.com/pages/models.html

Bruce H.
03-09-2004, 09:04 PM
Does this mean it goes up in value now???????
that would be nice!
Bruce H.

Smiley
03-09-2004, 09:07 PM
The Captain , Wanker and Stewball have created a black market for Hor's bikes. Now its up to you to do the same for MTB's and Cross Frames.

Bruce H.
03-09-2004, 09:10 PM
How to compete with the Hors????????????????
Bruce H.

Smiley
03-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Lets see Bruce , how much of a revolt would we would have had say thet canned the CSI !!! You know all those steel frames on e-bay would have been bid way up. What about getting a deal on a TDF lugged CSI , how much would that set me back .

Bruce H.
03-09-2004, 09:27 PM
What will a 2002 Steel CRT bring? Great long distance ride. Almost but not quite, identical to lugged Csi. Handles like a dream for a hundred or more miles a day.
Maybe put a dent into a Legend which I lust after. Was very very tempted for Kahuna's Legend before it was withdrawn last week.
Bruce H

M_A_Martin
03-09-2004, 11:24 PM
You can get any bike you like as long as its an OttRott...(and what's wrong with that?)

I can understand the winnowing of models, the winnowing of dealers, and the concentration on improving current offerings. I'm sure its all probably a matter of growing the business.

I do think that it makes sense to concentrate on certain models; that would probably increase efficiency of production rather than make any great strides in developement of new and interesting models. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Perhaps with an decrease in overhead due to not having to carry so much stock for esoteric bikes that few people buy, and an increase in efficiency in building the bikes they do offer, a Serotta will become more affordable!

Or not. After all, there's nothing wrong with making money. I'd far rather Serotta made tons of money and stayed in business than them not making enough money, remaining static, or burning out on the business and becoming one of those sad stories of the American Bike Industry.

(Have you ridden a Fat Chance lately?)

Personally I think Ben is just trying to help make my decision making process simpler. Since they removed the DKS from the line I've been having a difficult time picking a Serotta to buy...(other than "not" the OttRott...dunno why, I don't like the ride) I've been contemplating Legend Vs. Rapid Tour...another decision I don't have to make.

Ozz
03-10-2004, 07:47 AM
My guess is that you could still get a CIII in RapidTour geometry if you wanted to....

The only tough part would be the steel fork to match up with it...I hear Dave Kirk makes some nice ones.

:D

Keith A
03-10-2004, 08:03 AM
How many companies these days do you see the president give out his/her e-mail address to contact them directly? Kudos to Ben for making himself accessible.

Ginger
03-10-2004, 08:51 AM
I wasn't trying to knock Ben. I think, as much as we enjoy all the different offerings that Serotta has, "culling the herd" isn't a bad idea. Streamlining operations and making selection less confusing for the consumer is a good thing. I was merely rambling as to the "maybe why" reasons for it. I really have no idea "why".

The thing about the Rapid Tour is that that particular model might be out of the lineup, but I'm sure you can get that geometry in their other offerings...

Ginger
03-10-2004, 08:56 AM
I just went and read the page at the link...(my bookmark doesn't take me there for some reason)

If I had done that before I would have posted something different...

Along the lines of: We only have ourselves to blame. All that complaining about how long it takes to get a Legend out of the shop...and "where's my bike".

Besides, Ben didn't say those options were gone forever like the DKS is...he put a most reasonable (as he always is) explanation for the removal and possible return of those models.

Ahneida Ride
03-10-2004, 08:59 AM
great comments Ginger ! Thanks !

My Legend is in Rapid Tour Geometry.
Is the Geometry gone also ?

Gee. The demise of another great Serotta priduct !!!!!!
F1, DKS, Rapid Tour, is the CSI next ?

Why not just farm on the CSI, Rapid Tours to Dave Kirk ?
Serotta will make $$$$, so will Dave and there will be many
happy Serotta fans. Worth considering ?

I do understand Ben's Predicament.tune a profit or go
under. He has bills to pay.