PDA

View Full Version : New to Paceline forum, cycling enthusiast here

FritzWhite
01-20-2014, 11:01 PM
Hi, I'm new here. I was once an avid cyclist. I'm in the process of selling a couple bikes, but am still keeping 3.

My 3 bikes (I'm keeping).

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj30/FritzDWhite/bikepics004.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj30/FritzDWhite/bikepics002.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj30/FritzDWhite/bikepics006.jpg

I'm happy to be here. I met one of the members recently when he came by to look at a Serotta I'm parting with and he was cool. A lot of you have some beautiful bikes that are really gorgeous to admire. I enjoyed perusing the forums earlier.

jlwdm
01-20-2014, 11:13 PM
Sorry, but it is bad forum. Read the sales forum rules, become an active forum member and then use the sales forum.

Welcome.

Jeff

Ahneida Ride
01-20-2014, 11:27 PM
Fritz

Thanks for joining the Phorum

Thanks ! and you are most welcome here ..
We all love new members.

Javaman
01-21-2014, 02:21 AM
Great place to be in!:banana:

FritzWhite
01-21-2014, 02:30 AM
Will do, thanks

AngryScientist
01-21-2014, 06:38 AM
Will do, thanks

thanks fritz, good move.

nice bikes, what is the unbranded mtb?

you need to invest in a nice white garage door, stat!

welcome to the forum!

RedRider
01-21-2014, 08:36 AM
Welcome and enjoy the Paceline!

ERGOPOWER
01-21-2014, 09:54 AM
I am also new. Welcome.

DCW
01-21-2014, 10:13 AM
I am new as well. I went on a randonee a few months back with some members and had a great time. Have been reading for a few months now. It's a GREAT forum!

wooly
01-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Welcome Fritz!

FritzWhite
01-21-2014, 11:29 AM
thanks fritz, good move.

nice bikes, what is the unbranded mtb?

you need to invest in a nice white garage door, stat!

welcome to the forum!

Thanks, it is an old Gary Fisher Super or Pro Caliber circa 98. It was custom painted to match team clothes at the time. I like how simple it is. Just hop on and pedal!

About the pics... I know. I took them a month ago and the sucky background didn't bother me, but now it does so I'll retake them at some point. :p

rnhood
01-21-2014, 11:44 AM
Nice bikes Fritz. Interesting that you have both a hard tail and FS mountain bike. Just this weekend I was riding my hard tail and wondering why hard tails are as popular as they are. Other than typical commuter or RR path type riding, I've yet to ride any trail where I preferred the hard tail. And even on smooth or/or tame terrain the FS rides just as good as the hard tail - if not better. The FS bike that I was recently riding (a friends, not mine), rides beautifully and is so much more planted and competent on mountain trails - and the more technical the more it shines. A little heavier, but I don't really notice it once underway. I'm about ready to sell mine and move to the FS.

Curious if you also prefer the FS over the hard tail. Care to comment?

FritzWhite
01-21-2014, 12:35 PM
I have more control on my full suspension 29er and am faster downhill on it, but I like to ride my hardtail 26er too because sometimes it takes me back and reminds what it's like to ride without all of the fancy tech. It's a simpler bike and adds a unique spin to the same old rides that I wouldn't enjoy if I only rode one bike or the other.

Sure, all of the modern disc brake and suspension tech help to enhance the ride and make things smoother, but there's also so much going on there with the full suspsension in terms of moving parts and complexity.

The 29 wheels add a further degree of control, so in a way, sometimes the full suspension 29er is TOO controlled. It almost feels lazy like I don't have to do anything except steer and provide pedal power. There's not as much body english needed.

I don't need suspension to navigate a lot of my favorite rides because the trails are not too rugged. Though I do enjoy the control of the full suspension on a couple of the rough, rocky downhills we have around here, a lot of the easier, smoother sections of trails are too boring for a full suspension. Riding the singlespeed hardtail 26er adds challenge and fun to tamer trails.

Suspension is nice and I do go faster in the rough with it, but sometimes I also enjoy picking my lines a little more carefully while using my arms and legs to absorb bumps on the hardtail. The single gear also keeps me honest and helps me to stay mindful of maintaining my momentum.

A little side story: I heard that riders on the Ritchey mtb team back in the day were not allowed to use front suspension their first season to help them improve their riding. I don't know if that story is true, but the principle is. By not having suspension on the bike you're forced to pick cleaner lines and use better body placement. Not that you can't be a good rider riding only a dual suspension, but riding rigid has merits.

Hope that made sense.

FritzWhite
01-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Am I talking to a wall? Does no one else ride MTB here?

Joachim
01-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Only if there is Campy Record OR on it.

rnhood
01-22-2014, 11:14 AM
Good feedback Fritz. I agree with much of what you say but, it seems to me that once the trail(s) get a little technical and bumpy, the FS is preferable. At least to me it is. Perhaps if I rode more in the mtb venue this would not necessarily be the case. But I only ride mtb on occasion.

When my rear wheel slips (spins) on a steep incline, or I virtually bounce out of my seat on the rocky stuff, I start searching for other options. Remember I am not a seasoned mtb rider, and do not plan on becoming one. I only ride this venue on occasion since I'm primarily a roadie. My hard tail is great on converted RR grades and other smoother terrain. But the FS just seems like a far more versatile bike to me. I will be selling my HT and moving to a FS in the future.

DrSpoke
01-22-2014, 11:45 AM

Hi Fritz -

I ride mountain bikes a lot - probably more than road these days it seems. I've got a couple of old Bontragers from '96 and '97 that a pretty similar to your Ritchey - that is a 26" steel hardtail with early RockShox forks. After that, around 2002, I got a Santa Cruz Superlight (tubed 26" wheels/tires, single pivot rear, 3x9 drivetrain, V-brakes, Marzocchi fork) which was a great bike for it's time but that I just retired a couple months ago for a Pivot Mach 429 Carbon. The Pivot is an exceptional mountain bike - everything is upgraded from the Santa Cruz including a carbon frame, 29" tubeless wheels/tires, DW link suspension (4"), 2x10 drivetrain (XT crank, FD, shifters w/XTR brakes and RD), disc brakes, modern Fox fork (120mm) and shock. It's a pretty amazing bike really. I agree also with your earlier comments about hardtails vs. full suspension. It seems to reflect the common wisdom these days. One of the advantages I see often around here with hardtails, mostly 29ers, is the ability to be able to stand while climbing some of the steeper, technical sections we have around here. When I try to do that I get lot of bobbing, in part because the new Fox CTD shock doesn't have a lockout. But for everything else the bike is great - it handles great, climbs superbly, bombs the decents and just flies on the flats. Also, the FS is easier on my 63 yr old back :)

http://www.mbaction.com/Main/News/Bike-Test-Two-Pivot-Mach-429s-for-Two-Different-Ri-7064.aspx

http://flowmountainbike.com/tests/tested-pivot-mach-429-carbon/

oldpotatoe
01-22-2014, 12:48 PM

What's a 'MTB'?

SpokeValley
01-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Welcome, Fritz!

I don't know what made you think this forum has anything to do with bikes, though. :rolleyes:

FritzWhite
01-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Good feedback Fritz. I agree with much of what you say but, it seems to me that once the trail(s) get a little technical and bumpy, the FS is preferable. At least to me it is. Perhaps if I rode more in the mtb venue this would not necessarily be the case. But I only ride mtb on occasion.

When my rear wheel slips (spins) on a steep incline, or I virtually bounce out of my seat on the rocky stuff, I start searching for other options. Remember I am not a seasoned mtb rider, and do not plan on becoming one. I only ride this venue on occasion since I'm primarily a roadie. My hard tail is great on converted RR grades and other smoother terrain. But the FS just seems like a far more versatile bike to me. I will be selling my HT and moving to a FS in the future.

Cool, thanks for the responses bros:)

You're right about the FS helping with traction by helping the tire to stay in constant contact with the ground. If road is your main thing and you're going to only have 1 mtb then why not a FS. FS are versatile and rigid bikes can be a punishing ride.

If you aren't using them already, check out tubeless tires. A company called Stans makes a tubeless conversion rim strip for wheels if they're not already tubeless ready. Running tubeless you can use less tire pressure which helps with traction a lot but with no risk of pinch flatting.

Plus, even with liquid sealant sloshing around, tubeless setup is usually lighter than tire+inner tube and I know roadies can appreciate that ;)

Bigger tires can improve traction/comfort too, but at the expense of weight/speed (wider, larger volume tires are slower when it's smooth, but faster when it's rough)

Or if you're really fancy you can run tubulars just like the pros :bike:

Edit: MTB is mountain bike for short

I love the Pivot bikes. I had an opportunity to ride those and the Turner bikes at a demo event and I love the DWlink. My dad used to ride a Mach 4 and that suspension design is no joke! It was always really neat to me how we were able to sprint out of the saddle and the shock wouldn't even move.

Also used to ride a Titus Racer X. Titus used to be owned and run by Chris Cocalis, who now makes Pivot. A very great bike maker.

Yeah, if I had $ I'd buy a Pivot or Turner, but I do like my Giant. I think the Giant maestro suspension is a great design too and the Giants have a lot of bang for your buck

Dr Spoke, I just read that you're getting bobbing with the pivot? That's weird, that was one of the things that really stood out about it to me was how well it would accelerate.

DrSpoke
01-22-2014, 09:26 PM
I've heard of Titus but wasn't aware that was Cocalis. A riding buddy of mine rides a Chumba and apparently that is a company owned by his brother. I believe he said they were partners previously, perhaps at Titus, and then went separate ways.

I always say ride what you've got as there is always something newer, better, etc. coming along. But I know I was long overdue to upgrade to a modern bike. I see a lot of Giants out on the trail and another buddy rides one and loves it. And other one just got the new Turner Flux and it's a beautiful bike too. In fact, there are lots of great bikes out there now in all wheel sizes as well as rear travel - it seems most of the manufacturers are getting all the geometry and suspension designs dialed.

As far as bob that is only when standing as the shock doesn't lock out. That is something Fox changed when they went to the CTD design. The rest of the time the suspension just works - up and down.

Here is a bike you should check out - I'd never heard of it until yesterday. The guys at Bike Mag raved about it - Evil Uprising:

Evil Promo video:
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/An-Evil-Uprising-video-2013.html

Bike Mag review:
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/An-Evil-Uprising-video-2013.html

FritzWhite
01-23-2014, 02:15 PM
The 2 links are the same one, but I googled the review and the Evil looks cool.

It's hard for me to trust those bike magazines sometimes. Them and the manufacturers all have their hands in each other's pockets. Plus, even if the reviewer is being honest, I don't know his background. He could be making it up as he goes along. Maybe I can demo it out on the dirt someday.

I mean, listen to this 'final verdict': "holy terror on descents, mind-blowingly good on the climbs—Evil’s carbon all-mountain rig was worth the wait!" Bla, bla, it climbs good and downhills good. Sounds like a generic, canned blurb that you'd give when reviewing any good bike. I watched a little of the vid and it was action shots then guys in a garage drinking beer like King of the Hill repeating how they liked it, so I didn't finish.

That's cool that they're bringing back 26in wheels, not that they ever really went away. Bike riding marketing is so funny sometimes how the industry gets all swept up in some new latest greatest tech... Hey you, yeah you! Your wheels are too small. Come on over here and try these 9ers... then a couple years later, OMG, sell your niner, it's the 650, 27.5! What will we have to have next? 26.75 or 28.25 wheels?

Seriously though, different wheel sizes have their merits and I'm happy the options exist. It's just a little ridiculous when someone shorter than 5'9 won't even consider a wheel size not ending in 9. Personally I think it's best to size them to the rider. A 5ft tall rider looks ridiculous on a 29er and 26ers are going to be dwarfed by someone over 6'2 (I know there are some pro XC females that are this small that do well on 29er; just remember that they'd still be quick on a rusty scooter). So even though I ranted, different sizes are cool:p

I think you did well with the pivot ;) I don't know about your bobbing though, I didn't experience that when I rode one.

FritzWhite
01-23-2014, 02:20 PM
That was my 10th post. Now I have 11. Just 9 more to go! woohoo:banana:

pdmtong
01-23-2014, 02:43 PM
It continues to amaze me the population here that ride road-only...and have never spent time on dirt.
If you want to talk mtb, there are a few of us....

We, meaning my wife, daughter and I, ride road, single track, lift-assisted DH, and race cross a handful of times.

My wife and I also single track on a full-suspension tandem.

Wife just got a 120mm FS 29er...she is very happy.

I think being multi-disciplined is a lot of fun.

Welcome to the paceline.

therealpeel
01-23-2014, 02:51 PM
It continues to amaze me the population here that ride road-only...and have never spent time on dirt.
If you want to talk mtb, there are a few of us....

We, meaning my wife, daughter and I, ride road, single track, lift-assisted DH, and race cross a handful of times.

My wife and I also single track on a full-suspension tandem.

Wife just got a 120mm FS 29er...she is very happy.

I think being multi-disciplined is a lot of fun.

Welcome to the paceline.

Not as diversified as you, but I agree with the joy of riding single track in addition to the road.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

BryanE
01-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Sure there are some MTBers here.
Some even race.
My 17.1 pound S-Works race rocket.
I am now looking at a full suspension.
Stay with the hated big red S and get an Epic.

pdmtong
01-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Not as diversified as you, but I agree with the joy of riding single track in addition to the road.

As you know dirt has its own dangers and fun. Out here you go too fast and it's over a ledge down a steep embankment or into a redwood. But the quiet beauty of having a fun time in nature can't be denied.

Having dirt skills has let me save a few near crashes on the road. When getting bumped or when the bike is suddenly skittering beneath me due to gravel or wet. And road endurance has certainly helped me in the dirt

There has never been a better time to mtb. The bikes discs and suspension are just great. I am riding a now ancient 2010 sworks stumpjumper fsr. 140mm. It weigh guys less than my 70mm v brake sworks fsr from 1999 which at the time was the lightest full suspension bike you can get.

Now my wife is killing me on her 29er. And we set it up with a fox DOSS. Perfect.
I might not go 29 yet but the dropper is in the budget for me and for daughter

therealpeel
01-23-2014, 05:55 PM
If your 2010 sworks is ancient my 06 rig is either a piece of junk or decent relic.

FritzWhite
01-23-2014, 08:02 PM
PDMTong: Thanks for reachin out! That's awesome you got the wife into riding. I totally agree. I enjoy road, mountain, and cross. Each is good in its own way. Biggest problem with riding road for me is trying to share road with motorists. It sucks. I hate smog, being buzzed too close, being honked at, and so on. If it weren't for that I'd probably ride on the road more.

BryanE: Damn, excellent bike there. I didn't even know you could make a mtb that light. What size wheels are those? That bike looks like a climbing rocket indeed!

It's harder than ever to choose a FS bike. Things have come so far in 20 years. Tons of good bikes to choose from these days

pdmtong
01-24-2014, 12:54 AM
PDMTong: Thanks for reachin out! That's awesome you got the wife into riding. I totally agree. I enjoy road, mountain, and cross. Each is good in its own way. Biggest problem with riding road for me is trying to share road with motorists. It sucks. I hate smog, being buzzed too close, being honked at, and so on. If it weren't for that I'd probably ride on the road more.

It's harder than ever to choose a FS bike. Things have come so far in 20 years. Tons of good bikes to choose from these days

our wedding present to each other was a mtb tandem. we've been single tracking since fully rigid days. now whats really great is riding as a family. my daughter can handle the easier expert runs at Northstar (she is now 14 and this will be her 5th year riding there) so as a family we can all go DH together. this did not happen overnight. hours of time spent on the trail with her.

my wife is more agro than me and she has a C5/6 fusion to show for it. she is killing the trails on her 29er...Trek Lush SL (SLX with Fox CTD front/rear)....just goes to show even now, big improvements in FS

One thing for me, I still havent quite gotten the climbing on a big bike...I keep popping the front wheel even if I lean way forward. these steeps were no issue on my XC bike...but now with 140mm upfront I have become lame

Germany_chris
01-24-2014, 02:55 AM
I like and in some sense prefer hard tails but at this point I wouldn't buy a new 26er HT.

FritzWhite
01-24-2014, 11:41 AM
our wedding present to each other was a mtb tandem. we've been single tracking since fully rigid days. now whats really great is riding as a family. my daughter can handle the easier expert runs at Northstar (she is now 14 and this will be her 5th year riding there) so as a family we can all go DH together. this did not happen overnight. hours of time spent on the trail with her.

my wife is more agro than me and she has a C5/6 fusion to show for it. she is killing the trails on her 29er...Trek Lush SL (SLX with Fox CTD front/rear)....just goes to show even now, big improvements in FS

One thing for me, I still havent quite gotten the climbing on a big bike...I keep popping the front wheel even if I lean way forward. these steeps were no issue on my XC bike...but now with 140mm upfront I have become lame

It can be difficult to navigate those slack headtube angles uphill... I hear you man, the old classic 26in hardtails have been relegated to the back burner with all of the other great bike options available nowadays

vav
01-24-2014, 11:54 AM

Hello there Fritz;

You'd be surprised how many forumites are into MTBs. I for one bought me a steel IF hardtail 26er like 8 months ago and that's pretty much what I ride most of the time. Winter has been a revelation. I never felt comfortable riding on the road during winter. Maybe it was shoes, clothing, the wind, whatever. The MTB however, I just spend hours riding on the trails and never feel cold, even when its in the single digits.

Regarding full suspension, I really would like to try one to see the difference. That Jamis on the classifieds is so tempting :)

My IF:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3834/11974067224_0673379022_o.jpg

flyhippy
01-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Nice bikes Fritz. Interesting that you have both a hard tail and FS mountain bike. Just this weekend I was riding my hard tail and wondering why hard tails are as popular as they are. Other than typical commuter or RR path type riding, I've yet to ride any trail where I preferred the hard tail. And even on smooth or/or tame terrain the FS rides just as good as the hard tail - if not better. The FS bike that I was recently riding (a friends, not mine), rides beautifully and is so much more planted and competent on mountain trails - and the more technical the more it shines. A little heavier, but I don't really notice it once underway. I'm about ready to sell mine and move to the FS.

Curious if you also prefer the FS over the hard tail. Care to comment?

Hardtails are for climbing / weight savings (jumping?), not floats like marshmallow.

flyhippy
01-24-2014, 12:07 PM
That Jamis on the classifieds is so tempting :)

Today is the last day - pull the trigger now!! :banana: :banana: :bike: