PDA

View Full Version : which misery would you choose?

Climb01742
01-27-2006, 10:24 AM
i faced this choice this morning:

choice #1: according to the weather channel it was, with windchill, 4 degrees at 6:30AM. had an 85 minute recovery ride scheduled. roads were clear. my toes, fingertips and face were gonna be miserable.

choice #2: it was a toasty 69 in my basement, where my trainer was pointed at either imus or sportscenter. my brain was gonna be miserable.

decision: any ride outside beats any ride inside. that said, at this time of year, shattered ice on the road looks exactly like shattered glass. and if you gotta pee outside during a ride when it's 4 degrees, pee damn fast.

CT Rider
01-27-2006, 10:28 AM
I'd choose 2A:

- Indoor on the trainer WITH a Spinervals or CTS workout DVD. I've found focusing on the workout DVD (as oppossed to watching TV) alleviates most of the boredom associated with indoor training (IMO).

fiamme red
01-27-2006, 10:30 AM
choice #2: it was a toasty 69 in my basement, where my trainer was pointed at either imus or sportscenter. my brain was gonna be miserable.If you keep the room temperature at 69, you'll sweat too much and be miserable for sure. I prefer 40-45.

I can't stand Sportscenter or Imus. I watch movies on the trainer when I'm not doing a hard workout.

cpg
01-27-2006, 10:32 AM
YOU'RE THE MAN!

Did you bring an extra sock?

Curt

William
01-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Coice #3: Go back to bed and wait for the temps to get into the low 30's. Then go ride. ;)

William

Climb01742
01-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Did you bring an extra sock?Curt

oh, great, NOW you tell me about the extra sock.

Mud
01-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Listening to Imus' fat rants might inspire me, listening to the ranch stories or his kid made me detune him years ago. The radio is tough. I have the laptop play music while riding the computrainer but the noise of both trainers are a little too much. We use a big fan which further kills the sound from the small speakers.

But riding outside that early is for masochists. Some years ago we used to road ride at night in the winter and we could see the ice crystals in the air. The only reason I can see is prepping you for the wind that blows on MW when you break 1 hour for your ride. :banana:

CT Rider
01-27-2006, 10:51 AM
decision: any ride outside beats any ride inside.

BTW Climb, I forgot to say I ADMIRE your choice!!! 35 Degrees is my outdoor cutoff!

Climb01742
01-27-2006, 10:51 AM
mud and CT, riding indoors is boring but for me, the worst part is the bike not moving. i just dig the interplay for rider and bike. and i just love being out in nature. nature just chills me out (literally, i guess). so while the weather can sucks outside, the positives outweigh the negatives.

(and before someone sez it, no, i ain't coordinated enuf to use rollers!) :D

fiamme red
01-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Do you have the option of commuting to work?

CT Rider
01-27-2006, 11:00 AM
riding indoors is boring but for me, the worst part is the bike not moving. i just dig the interplay for rider and bike. and i just love being out in nature. nature just chills me out

Climb,

Agree with you 100%+ about the wind and interplay between bike, rider and nature. I look SOOOOO forward to those early spring rides with temperatures in the 40's. Indoor training of any sort (cycling, NordicTrak, treadmill) does suck compared to being outdoors. I really have found Spinervals to be helpful to me - the time passes quickly, I get a REAL goodworkout and I feel like I get something back for my time exercising. Any of the indoor exercising methods I mentioned before see just like a waste of time to me (IMO) when I merely watch TV.

Climb01742
01-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Do you have the option of commuting to work?

i've thought about that. tough thing is, timing-wise, i could make the mornings work, but i usually leave the office well after dark in winter, and i don't have lights and all. what i may try though is riding at lunch. usually much warmer by lunchtime. but as many of you can attest, once at work, our schedules aren't always our own. at least riding at dawn i'm in control of my schedule. once at work, i'm usually a goner.

Bittersweet
01-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Have you thought about riding the trainer in the garage or some other very cold place? To me this is what separates riding on the road or the trainer. If it is too hot to ride in the air temperature garage then with wind-chill I know I can ride on the road. I hop off the rollers and roll out the door.

I find the cold of the garage the real trick in making the rollers liveable. I hate the heat.

fiamme red
01-27-2006, 11:04 AM
i've thought about that. tough thing is, timing-wise, i could make the mornings work, but i usually leave the office well after dark in winter, and i don't have lights and all. what i may try though is riding at lunch. usually much warmer by lunchtime. but as many of you can attest, once at work, our schedules aren't always our own. at least riding at dawn i'm in control of my schedule. once at work, i'm usually a goner.My advice: get lights!

http://www.blayleys.com/articles/lights/index.htm

Commuting tips:

http://www.blayleys.com/articles/commuting/index.htm

jeffg
01-27-2006, 11:12 AM
Riding in the cold can be invigorating and ok if you are going for a recovery-type ride and its safe (no black ice, etc.). I have ridden on clear roads when it hit the upper teens on a climb, but really exerting yourself in that cold is not particularly healthy, IMHO.

Since it just snowed here in Frankfurt and is pretty icy, it will be the trainer for me, with the window open and some cycling dvds going ...

Kevan
01-27-2006, 11:16 AM
1. Get Mikemets to join you on rides of the zero degree nature, he thrives in the stuff. Go figure.

2. Use the trainer with Playboy tapes, much more enjoyable to watch and you'll be just as challenged to continue riding.

Next!

bironi
01-27-2006, 11:32 AM
How many of your co-workers came out with you on Option #1 this morning, riding their new bonus bikes? Have any signed up for Mt Washington yet?

Give us some feedback after the newbies get out as weather improves. Can you tell us what bikes and components their on?

Thanks,
Byron

93legendti
01-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Have you thought about riding the trainer in the garage or some other very cold place? To me this is what separates riding on the road or the trainer. If it is too hot to ride in the air temperature garage then with wind-chill I know I can ride on the road. I hop off the rollers and roll out the door.

I find the cold of the garage the real trick in making the rollers liveable. I hate the heat.

Do you use a fan? I can't imagine a trainer workout without a fan to help get the sweat off your skin and avoid overheating. I keep my workout room at 68 degrees when I ride and have a nice large fan--with TdF tapes and ABB or Zep dvd's my workouts pass quickly.

Ti Designs
01-27-2006, 11:46 AM
Choice 2F. I was out at 6:00AM, went by your house at around 7:15 from Concord center. It wasn't that cold out, you need to learn how to dress and start ignoring those "feels like _____" numbers.

Mud
01-27-2006, 11:54 AM
I hike with the pooch every weekday morning, rain, cold monsoon, etc. If you have a Lab you know the drill-for every mile I do he does 5. I get tired watching him. By the time we hit the lake for the last 1/2 mile along the shore my snarglys are really cold. Elmo has already jumped into the freezing water and is waiting for me to throw a stick.

He is 8 years old and loves the feezing water. How can he stand it? Then I realized the Truth-he has no snarglys - the answer to enduring cold weather.

Apologies to the Coneheads among us.

davids
01-27-2006, 12:10 PM
#2Q: In my 60 degree basement, listening to myself trying to spin perfect circles at 60 rpm (thanks to you, TiDesigns...)

My problems with morning rides at this time of year are two: Lack of light and lack of warmth.

I'm just not comfortable in "low" light (both lack of light and sunrise-in-the-face brilliance) on the urban/suburban roads I'd have to ride out of my backdoor. Just doesn't feel safe to me.

And although I keep trying, I don't enjoy road riding anywhere nearly as much when it's below freezing as I do when the temp's above, say, 45. My ride last Saturday, when it was in the high 40s to low 50s, was SO much more enjoyable than any other ride I've had in the last few months. Once it gets below freezing, I get more pleasure from mountain biking.

Lucky for me, I can ride tomorrow afternoon, in good light and high temps!

Climb01742
01-27-2006, 12:11 PM
How many of your co-workers came out with you on Option #1 this morning, riding their new bonus bikes? Have any signed up for Mt Washington yet?

Give us some feedback after the newbies get out as weather improves. Can you tell us what bikes and components their on?

Thanks,
Byron

we began the fittings this week. even grown-ups, when they get a new bike, get that kid-on-christmas-morning look on their faces. folks will start getting their bikes next week. a few folks are even planning on training for a century this summer. i'm still bummed that ben's incredbly generous offer to get us serottas was scuddled by some greed that neither he or i could control, but the folks are very happy with their lemond alpe d' huez with a mix of 105/ultegra. props to craig and harold for coming through.

bironi
01-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Keep us informed of their progress.

Byron

Dr. Doofus
01-27-2006, 12:23 PM
doof spent eight weeks on a trainer when it was a conbsistent 70-85 and sunny when he had the broken ribs

you do what you have to

get on with it

Climb01742
01-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Choice 2F. I was out at 6:00AM, went by your house at around 7:15 from Concord center. It wasn't that cold out, you need to learn how to dress and start ignoring those "feels like _____" numbers.

ed, you're tougher than i am. it felt darn cold this morning. i must be getting old. and even wimpier. ;)

Dr. Doofus
01-27-2006, 12:34 PM
yo

old ad man

how the kilos?

doof is back down to where he was ni september: 74. current watts/lt: 315

aimin for 72 kilos, 340w...maybe...but it ain't the old days....

portion control, only a small snack after training...no full meal...

traininig in the afternoon/evening and trying to diet is a beyotch...no good time to cut the kcal....

Climb01742
01-27-2006, 12:51 PM
yo

old ad man

how the kilos?

doof, 155 lbs today. for MW, target is 140ish. i can get thru the winter at 150-155 and not get sick. no colds so far this winter (knock on wood.)

Dr. Doofus
01-27-2006, 12:53 PM
1997: 66 kilos, 370 w

last year: 77 kilos, 280w

can't seem to crack 73 kilos...must be the wife...was 70 kilos at the wedding...damnwomen....

coylifut
01-27-2006, 01:13 PM
doof, 155 lbs today. for MW, target is 140ish. i can get thru the winter at 150-155 and not get sick. no colds so far this winter (knock on wood.)

it wouldn't feel so cold if you weighed about 180.

;)

Climb01742
01-27-2006, 01:16 PM
1997: 66 kilos, 370 w

last year: 77 kilos, 280w

can't seem to crack 73 kilos...must be the wife...was 70 kilos at the wedding...damnwomen....

being way skinny is tough. last summer, for the month leading up to MW, i was 140-143 (@ 5'11"). i felt like i was always tiptoeing the line of always catching a cold. i'm not sure how wise it is to training hard for long time periods at much below your "natural" weight. mine feels like 153-156. sounds like you're getting way stronger, good doof. maybe let your bod find its best kilo's.

spiderman
01-27-2006, 01:36 PM
but my camping headlamp and bar mounted cat eye
give me more than adequate visibility.
the streets between my house and work
are also well-lit.
commuting early/late works out pretty well
and 90 + percent of the time i get a noon ride in as well.
fixed gear in winter/rain/gravel with 28 tubular cross tires
or dura ace 9 with 22 sprinters with dry conditions/no gravel.
i ride the rollers in the basement
when the weather's particularly bad
(typically if school is cancelled)
or my wife wants to train together indoors.

Fixed
01-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Coice #3: Go back to bed and wait for the temps to get into the low 30's. Then go ride. ;)

William
what william said unless you have to ride then . 30's are about as cold as i ride in not counting wind chill but only a couple of times a year . a lot of 50's and rain through cheers

TimD
01-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Well, Climb, I went 1:45 starting at 1 PM. Sunny, 32 F "feels like 25", wind WNW @ 10-15.

Hadn't been out since Sunday, so I spent the first 15 miles trying to loosen up. A couple of small hills (Strawberry Hill, Dover) and I was sweaty, which of course meant I started to cool off pretty quickly.

After an hour and a half I was pretty durn cold, but a very large cup o' Peet's made things right again.

After having been stuck inside conference rooms, buses, trains, airplanes, and monorails for a week it was really, really nice to get out :)

TimD

davids
01-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Well, Climb, I went 1:45 starting at 1 PM. Sunny, 32 F "feels like 25", wind WNW @ 10-15.

Hadn't been out since Sunday, so I spent the first 15 miles trying to loosen up. A couple of small hills (Strawberry Hill, Dover) and I was sweaty, which of course meant I started to cool off pretty quickly.

After an hour and a half I was pretty durn cold, but a very large cup o' Peet's made things right again.

TimD
I love Strawberry Hill! Haven't been up it in months! Maybe tomorrow?

Climb01742
01-27-2006, 06:58 PM
which strawberry hill are you guys talking about? there's one really near me, in concord (a nice little test). that one or are there others?

Dr. Doofus
01-27-2006, 07:52 PM
being way skinny is tough. last summer, for the month leading up to MW, i was 140-143 (@ 5'11"). i felt like i was always tiptoeing the line of always catching a cold. i'm not sure how wise it is to training hard for long time periods at much below your "natural" weight. mine feels like 153-156. sounds like you're getting way stronger, good doof. maybe let your bod find its best kilo's.

yup

doof was fast at 147, but was always hurt

156-160 is best for this doof

davids
01-27-2006, 08:43 PM
which strawberry hill are you guys talking about? there's one really near me, in concord (a nice little test). that one or are there others?
It's a sharp little climb followed by a wonderful roller-coaster of a downhill (Wilsondale St.) There's a good chance I'll be there around 2:30 tomorrow. :banana:

bcm119
01-27-2006, 08:47 PM
6:30 am in january for a recovery ride? I would think an extra hour in bed would be more beneficial for recovery... or at most a short spin on the trainer, a hot shower and stretch.

jerk
01-27-2006, 08:51 PM
6:30 am in january for a recovery ride? I would think an extra hour in bed would be more beneficial for recovery... or at most a short spin on the trainer, a hot shower and stretch.

it's called a program bub. climb-o is hardcore. don't 4uck with him. :beer: :bike: :bike:

jerk

bcm119
01-27-2006, 09:05 PM
climb-o is hardcore. don't 4uck with him.

I know. Thats why I didn't suggest a morning roll in the hay followed by a Grand Slam breakfast.

mikemets
01-27-2006, 10:09 PM
OK, here goes:

From the top down. Balaclavas are a must, and I have one with a foam insert for the face area (ski store) for the real cold days.

"Craft" base layer, jersey, and winter cycling top (fleece lined). Total 3-4 thin layers, ALL wicking, and the gray, slightly ribbed "Craft" base layer is SO good, you can only use it for below freezing or you will roast.

Liner for under your gloves. If its real cold, I'll slip in chemical hand warmers by "Grabber Mycoal" for between the layers. They are relatively thin, and rectangular in shape. They sit right behind my knuckles, and the heat radiates right down the fingers.

Cycling shorts with a good, wind front, fleece lined, tight. If its real, real cold, you can wear a thin, wicking material, long underwear layer between your shorts and your tights.

For the feet, I wear wool socks, and fleece lined booties. If its cold, you can use the chemical toe warmers, also made by "Grabber Mycoal" these are pretty neat as the are very thin and adhesive backed. I wear them on the outside of my sock, under my toes, and in the shoe. If its super cold, you can put a hand warmer on the top part of you shoe, where its ventilated for coolness in the summer, and under the bootie. I use the bottom strap on my shoe to hold it in place.

Use an insulated bottle, and start with your drink warm, as it will quickly chill, and you don't want it to freeze.

Don't stop! Ride straight through. If you stop the sweat gets way to cold when you start up again.

Also, pull your glasses away from your face an inch or slide them down your nose when you stop for a light etc. or they will immeditely fog up.

The last thing I do if its below 10F, is use actual ski gloves. The only downside is that they don't have the "wipe strip" so I put some wide, wrist, sweat bands on the outside of the gloves, works great.

You can by the "Grabber Mycoal" stuff in a ski store or usually find much better prices in say, the hunting department of "The Sports Authority" or on-line of course.

Think that's it...hope something here helps.
Mike

Climb01742
01-28-2006, 05:23 AM

bcm, i got so humbled last year on MW, i'm giving my training 110% this year. what i lack in skill, i'll try to make up for in determination. :rolleyes: my coach has thought my training through quite well, i think, and recovery and rest are in there. but i gotta say, i've never been this hardcore this early in the year. santa barbara is looking pretty good right now!

Ti-Boy
01-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Outside is always better as long as it's dry. Pick up a mountain bike and hit the woods. Wind chill is minimized by the trees and brush. No trail damage when it's that cold.

Grant McLean
01-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Geeze, another 50 degree January day in Toronto!
I really had to restrain myself today, I could have easily
been tricked to ride all day, it was so amazing outside.
Only a light wind and not a cloud in the sky! I keep
checking the calender, it feels like April.

-g

coylifut
01-28-2006, 04:14 PM
I know. Thats why I didn't suggest a morning roll in the hay followed by a Grand Slam breakfast.

how much do you charge for your coaching service? I like your methods.