PDA

View Full Version : Yellow-Orange Jerseys

b3bicycles
01-27-2006, 09:40 AM
I just want to know why anyone would think of riding with a cycling jersey that isn't some bright color like yellow or orange. With all of the stories of cyclist getting hit by cars these days maybe this is something to think about. Last year I had a close with a driver that stopped and said he was very sorry but just didn't see me. I was riding in a gray campy metal jersey and didn't think anything about it until I saw two riders about 1/4 mile in front of me later in the ride and sure enough I could see the rider in the bright jersey just fine. Just some food for throught!

JohnS
01-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Our club jerseys have yellow on them but that driver may have said "I didn't see you" when he really meant "I wasn't paying attention".

b3bicycles
01-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Point taken, but don't you think we still should do everything in our power to be seen?

Bradford
01-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Because looking cool is more important than function to many people who ride. Just about any thread you read that touches on aesthetics will illustrated this. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just a different way of looking at life. Not my cup of chowder, but then again, it is an established fact that I have neither taste nor style.

For many people, the sacrifice of beauty for pure function is somewhere between obscene and heretical.

JohnS
01-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Liike I said, most jerseys are light/bright colored. I use lights at dusk. I wear a lime green jacket during the dreary winter months. My point is that they can see you, they just choose not to.

William
01-27-2006, 10:31 AM
Point taken, but don't you think we still should do everything in our power to be seen?

Hey, I'm not a "flashy" kind of guy, but on the road I have no problem with a LOUD kit. That's one reason why my old OSU racing jersey is still my favorite. Loud and noticable. :cool:

I remember a study that was printed in a motorcycle mag I used to subscribe to, they claimed orange was the best color for getting noticed. True or not, I like Orange any way. :cool:

William