PDA

View Full Version : zipp carbon/aluminum brake surface difference?

ivanooze
01-19-2014, 01:13 PM
-I'm in the market of buying a pair of zipps. I was curious to know what the differences are between a carbon and an aluminum brake surface?
- from what i hear, carbon brake surfaces heat up faster if you drag the brakes on the surface to long which will cause your tube to pop
-any advice anyone?

oldpotatoe
01-19-2014, 01:52 PM
-I'm in the market of buying a pair of zipps. I was curious to know what the differences are between a carbon and an aluminum brake surface?
- from what i hear, carbon brake surfaces heat up faster if you drag the brakes on the surface to long which will cause your tube to pop
-any advice anyone?

There is no doubt aluminum rims/braking surface stop better, wet or dry, than carbon. Stop better, disapate heat better. Ya don't want to drag your brakes with either but it can pop a tube or more commonly, warp the rim sidewall, with carbon. Aluminum brake surface wheel generally heavier as well.

ivanooze
01-19-2014, 07:05 PM
sounds like im headed towards the aluminum path.
- a few extra grams wont hurt. im already fast enough as it is, with these wheels oh man i'll be unstoppable.. ha

oldpotatoe
01-19-2014, 07:11 PM
sounds like im headed towards the aluminum path.
- a few extra grams wont hurt. im already fast enough as it is, with these wheels oh man i'll be unstoppable.. ha

Might look at Fulcrum or Campagnolo converted to shimano, far better hubs....as are shimano wheels, another better choice than Zipp.

Highpowernut
01-19-2014, 09:47 PM
I've used zipp 101s and zipp 404s.

101s very good stoping (aluminum brake surface) slight aero wheel set .

404s with cork pads suck, I got the zipp platinum pads ( Swiss stop I think) much better.
Even with good pads carbon doesn't stop as well.

Wayne

Some people wonder if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan

ivanooze
01-19-2014, 11:35 PM
Might look at Fulcrum or Campagnolo converted to shimano, far better hubs....as are shimano wheels, another better choice than Zipp.

what about maintenance of the hubs? Will they be like chris kings where you constantly have to tighten the cones?

ivanooze
01-19-2014, 11:40 PM
and by the way, anything will be a step up from what i have.
I have a set of ALX wheels with the good ol' ball bearing hubs, so i would be more than happy to get an upgrade

oldpotatoe
01-20-2014, 06:29 AM
what about maintenance of the hubs? Will they be like chris kings where you constantly have to tighten the cones?

No....CK are the most maintenance intensive hubs out there. Overly complicated, IMHO, for a 'bicycle hub'.

TimD
01-20-2014, 08:55 AM
http://www.chemicool.com/

:banana:

ivanooze
01-20-2014, 07:36 PM
No....CK are the most maintenance intensive hubs out there. Overly complicated, IMHO, for a 'bicycle hub'.

ha ok, what about lacing a zipp rim to a set of dt swiss hubs? any good?

4Rings6Stars
01-20-2014, 07:57 PM

Nope, has to be campy :rolleyes:

oldpotatoe
01-21-2014, 06:22 AM

DT hubs laced to Zipp rims would be fine but if you are going to lace hubs to carbon rims, I think there are other, better choices of rims out there..like Reynolds or Enve.

AngryScientist
01-21-2014, 06:46 AM
they arent the lightest wheels on the block, but i really like my zipps with alu brake track. they stop great, and i dont need to swap brake pads, and i dont cringe if i need to ride them in the rain.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XmbifvocMRw/Ub0Hft9bOeI/AAAAAAAABSY/Lyf39BEzcFQ/s640/100_0166.JPG

ivanooze
01-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Nope, has to be campy :rolleyes:

no thanks. as much as they are messing up right now, i'm going to stay a soldier of the Sram guild

ivanooze
01-21-2014, 03:50 PM
DT hubs laced to Zipp rims would be fine but if you are going to lace hubs to carbon rims, I think there are other, better choices of rims out there..like Reynolds or Enve.

in your opinion, what would be a good wheelset/hub combo?