PDA

View Full Version : Road Brake Suggestions

Stan Lee
01-19-2014, 08:36 AM
I'm building up a new bike soon and I'm trying to decide on brakes. I'll most likely run Ultegra DI2, any reason to run something besides Shimano for brakes? I considered Pauls Racer Mediums but I don't like the idea of having to run a cable stop somehow for the rear. I like the look of the machined brakes and the idea of supporting a smaller company but I don't know if there are any that offer better performance/function which is more important.

Any thoughts?

FlashUNC
01-19-2014, 08:53 AM
I wouldn't overthink it. Ultegra and Dura Ace both work great.

AngryScientist
01-19-2014, 09:49 AM
i just rebuilt an older bike and used a 6800 Ultegra front brake. it is superb. the newest offerings from shimano are fantastic in all areas, brakes included. go with Ultegra,

Stan Lee
01-19-2014, 10:00 AM
Thanks for that, very helpful and I assumed that was the case but wanted to make sure.

I have a lot of experience with MTBs and CX bikes where arguably some of the smaller companies can out perform the big ones but I didn't know if that was true with road. I did a quick google search and brought up this review which made me wonder whether I should look into other options.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2008/12/15/bikerumor-review-feather-road-brakes/

I honestly haven't put a lot of thought into it, saying that it keeps me out of trouble.

Tony
01-19-2014, 10:10 AM
The writer states "I’ve had Zero Gravity’s, Dura-Ace and Campy’s and these are way better than any of them. I almost endo’d while I was seated.”

I find that hard to believe. I've not experienced better brakes with the current Dura Ace.

veloduffer
01-19-2014, 10:12 AM
If you want, I have a set of SRAM Force skeleton calipers that I was going to sell. Grayish anodized and lightweight at 285 grams total with pads. Only a bit of surface rust on bolt on the back. PM if you are interested.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/20/zyjaqydy.jpg

thirdgenbird
01-19-2014, 10:16 AM
Thanks for that, very helpful and I assumed that was the case but wanted to make sure.

I have a lot of experience with MTBs and CX bikes where arguably some of the smaller companies can out perform the big ones but I didn't know if that was true with road. I did a quick google search and brought up this review which made me wonder whether I should look into other options.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2008/12/15/bikerumor-review-feather-road-brakes/

I honestly haven't put a lot of thought into it, saying that it keeps me out of trouble.

Those look like expensive versions of the $100 Planet X brakes

I personally haven't ridden the Planet X brakes, but I've heard they have great feel and reasonable (not shim/campy) power. A used set of record or dura ace brakes will be about the same price, but I wouldn't knock the use of Planet X brakes, especially if you are in need of tire clearance.

Pete Mckeon
01-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Long reach brakes or canti if fenders used

My first choice has always been Shimano :)

i just rebuilt an older bike and used a 6800 Ultegra front brake. it is superb. the newest offerings from shimano are fantastic in all areas, brakes included. go with Ultegra,

Stan Lee
01-19-2014, 11:15 AM
If you want, I have a set of SRAM Force skeleton calipers that I was going to sell.

Thanks for the offer but I will most likely stick with Ultegra to complete the group.

Steve in SLO
01-19-2014, 12:26 PM
I like the look of the machined brakes and the idea of supporting a smaller company but I don't know if there are any that offer better performance/function which is more important.

Any thoughts?

From a pure functional standpoint, Shimano brakes are great. Another 'functional' option are the Mavic SSCs. Mount some Kool Stops on either and you are done.

As far as machined brakes are concerned, I run some Zero Gravitys on a bike I ride in the mountains, and with stock pads I have never had a problem with power, even at 50+ MPH, -5-10% grades weighing 185#, and they modulate well. Caveat: I don't tend to get into trouble, so I can't speak to emergency stops.

I guess my poiint is that while for absolute top performance the more functional options are likely the best, a relatively well-regarded machined brakeset can come really close, especially if you fiddle a bit withh pads and toe-in.

FlashUNC
01-19-2014, 03:18 PM
From a pure functional standpoint, Shimano brakes are great. Another 'functional' option are the Mavic SSCs. Mount some Kool Stops on either and you are done.

As far as machined brakes are concerned, I run some Zero Gravitys on a bike I ride in the mountains, and with stock pads I have never had a problem with power, even at 50+ MPH, -5-10% grades weighing 185#, and they modulate well. Caveat: I don't tend to get into trouble, so I can't speak to emergency stops.

I guess my poiint is that while for absolute top performance the more functional options are likely the best, a relatively well-regarded machined brakeset can come really close, especially if you fiddle a bit withh pads and toe-in.

+1 on the Mavic SSCs as well. Fantastic brakes. The only downside is they don't have a quick release on the brake -- designed for Campy levers.

bcroslin
01-19-2014, 03:51 PM
I'm running Ultegra 6800 brakes after years of riding both SRAM red and TRP 960's and my first thought after installation was WOW, that's how brakes are supposed to work!

Stick with Shimano.

EricEstlund
01-19-2014, 04:06 PM
Those look like expensive versions of the $100 Planet X brakes

The other way around- the Planet X are rebranded knock offs of the Feather (which I'm not sure is still made after the flood of copies).

Camelstache
01-19-2014, 04:23 PM
My experience is that Shimano brakes are tops in both road and especially Mtb hydro's. I run either Dura-ace or Ultegra for road.

thirdgenbird
01-19-2014, 04:24 PM
The other way around- the Planet X are rebranded knock offs of the Feather (which I'm not sure is still made after the flood of copies).

I missed the date on the article. I thought maybe someone was buying the same brakes and selling them at a premium.

pdmtong
01-19-2014, 06:39 PM
+1 on the Mavic SSCs as well. Fantastic brakes. The only downside is they don't have a quick release on the brake -- designed for Campy levers.

I've run the mavics with campy (no issue) and with 2010 Force...no issue.

When used with Force I had to bump the tire past the shoes to insert or remove but not a big deal.

The SSCs will NOT accommodate a wider rim like a C2.

The bigger issue is finding a pair....

josephr
01-20-2014, 11:05 AM
nevermind