PDA

View Full Version : Real world tire size

john903
01-17-2014, 10:00 PM
So I am looking at getting new tires shortly and was wondering does anyone have Schwalbe Ultermo DD, Ultermo ZX, or Durano tires mounted on D.T. 415 rims? I have heard they run small and I can fit an older 25c Ultermo R.1 with room on my bike Hampsten Cinghale with Alpha cs 10 fork . So has anyone tried any of these tires in a 28c I heard there 28 is closer to a 26, and so forth down the line. So can someone give me a real life measurement of these tires in a 28c mounted? I suppose I could also track down a used 1" threadless steel fork and that would give me more room, but so far no luck on that front.
Thank You and Have a great day.

Hank Scorpio
01-17-2014, 10:19 PM
I recently mounted a Schwalbe One 700x25 on a specialized roval clx 60 with a 24.4 rim width and the tire measured a bit over 26mm wide. This was a brand new, never ridden tire pumped up to 105 ish. I am sure it will widen out a bit with use.

I also ran an early version of the ultremo dd and had issues with the sidewall peeling off both tires. Schwalbe did not want to warranty the tires. They asked me to send them in for inspection and they would get back to me. These were both fairly new less than 1k tires. YMMV

Vientomas
01-17-2014, 10:35 PM
In my experience, the Durano runs pretty much true to size on a 19mm rim.

cachagua
01-17-2014, 10:42 PM
...heard they run small, 28 is closer to a 26 and so forth down the line...

They're smaller than marked? I thought they were bigger than marked.

I will soon be receiving an Ultremo 28 which I'll mount on a TB14, and after that on an Open Pro, and stick in two or three rear triangles and forks, and we shall see what we shall see. Thanks for starting this item, maybe some published research can save our friends some guesswork.

buldogge
01-18-2014, 12:06 AM
Ultremo ZXs run true to size IME…with both 25s and 28s.

-Mark in St. Louis

one60
01-18-2014, 10:13 AM
put a pair of durano 28c on my rain/winter rig...they run smaller than the ultremo 28c.

EDS
01-18-2014, 10:23 AM
So I am looking at getting new tires shortly and was wondering does anyone have Schwalbe Ultermo DD, Ultermo ZX, or Durano tires mounted on D.T. 415 rims? I have heard they run small and I can fit an older 25c Ultermo R.1 with room on my bike Hampsten Cinghale with Alpha cs 10 fork . So has anyone tried any of these tires in a 28c I heard there 28 is closer to a 26, and so forth down the line. So can someone give me a real life measurement of these tires in a 28c mounted? I suppose I could also track down a used 1" threadless steel fork and that would give me more room, but so far no luck on that front.
Thank You and Have a great day.

I have an Ultremo ZX 28c mounted on a archetype rim and it fits on my Serotta with an alpha q gs 10 fork, if that helps.

cachagua
01-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Alright, my Ultremo ZX 700X28 came in the mail today, and I tried it on my TB-14 wheels. Not at all difficult to mount. Pumped it up to 120 and here's what I found:

Room to spare on two 80s-vintage Serottas, both at the front and the rear, using old single-pivot side pull brakes.

Too big to fit Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra with Centaur dual-pivots. Front and rear.

Just barely workable in Colorado CRL with its original steel fork, again using the Campy dual-pivots. Front is okay, rear is tight enough that once the flash wears off, and if (!) there's no "break-in" expansion, I'd ride it.

Too big for a Time carbon fork, even with no brake.

How much they expand after being inflated for a while I don't know yet. And in every case where there's been as issue (except the Time fork), it's been the brake that interfered, not the fork crown or seatstay bridge. Maybe someone knows which brakes leave more room than others? My next test is going to be 7400 brakes on the CRL.

RedRider
01-21-2014, 09:51 PM
Alright, my Ultremo ZX 700X28 came in the mail today, and I tried it on my TB-14 wheels. Not at all difficult to mount. Pumped it up to 120 and here's what I found:

L.

You inflated the 28s to 120psi? Sounds a bit high. What does the sidewall say?

cachagua
01-21-2014, 11:46 PM
Purely for testing purposes -- wouldn't ride 'em like that. They're marked to 115.

(Might be interesting to see how they'd handle with that much air, though. Used to ride Campionato del Mondo sew-ups at 120, just about this size. . . leave a ringing in your ears, but offered a nice, controllable drift in the corners.)