PDA

View Full Version : Q on Lemond Poprad cantis / moving mounts

mccx
01-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Have a question for anyone who has a canti version of the Lemond Poprad.

Are the canti mounts brazed on or welded? I'm considering finding another Poprad frame (I have a disc version) and thinking I might have the mounts moved/replaced to accommodate Paul Racer brakes.

Any obvious reason that wouldn't work?

Mark McM
01-17-2014, 04:43 PM
How are you going to mount the Paul Racer brake? The seat stay bridge isn't designed to mount a brake.

Edit: Oops, I thought you meant using the single bolt version of the Paul Racer brakes. I guess you meant using moving the studs above the rim to use the direct frame mount version of the Paul Racer brakes. In which case, I have no idea if you could re-mount the studs.

mccx
01-17-2014, 05:02 PM
That's it - would use the post-mount racer ion the rear if the mounts can be moved to the right spot. Not worried about the front.

eBAUMANN
01-17-2014, 05:20 PM
well, brazed or welded, a framebuilder will most likely not re-use the old mounts...and they will have to file/sand smooth the old mount area after removal.

from there, its just a matter of checking the fit-up of everything and brazing/welding on a new set of mounts!

ColonelJLloyd
01-17-2014, 05:30 PM
The old mounts cannot be used for the Racer or any other center pull brake; they're different.

rwsaunders
01-17-2014, 06:23 PM
I can't tell if they're welded or brazed...pretty smooth for a weld...pardon the Winter crud from last weekend.

Ken Robb
01-17-2014, 07:18 PM
After all that work you still need to prime and paint so it sounds like more trouble than it would be worth to me. If you are not happy with your present cantis there may be others that would work better for you or maybe some of the advice from canti gurus like Sheldon would help you improve their performance. If that doesn't satisfy you maybe some v-brakes that would use your existing mounts?

John M
01-18-2014, 08:35 PM
The stays need to be close to 78mm apart at the mounting point for the racer.

pbarry
01-18-2014, 08:45 PM
Have a question for anyone who has a canti version of the Lemond Poprad.

Are the canti mounts brazed on or welded? I'm considering finding another Poprad frame (I have a disc version) and thinking I might have the mounts moved/replaced to accommodate Paul Racer brakes.

Any obvious reason that wouldn't work?

Canti mounts on Poprads were brazed. 853 doesn't necessarily like to be heated twice. Plenty of awesome cantilever brakes out there that will give you more stopping power than the PR's. Time for a custom. :beer:

mccx
01-19-2014, 12:01 AM
Thanks all for advice on this. Think I'm going to mullet it - new disc fork in front and keep the cantis in the back. Will keep Racers in mind for a different bike!

Puget Pounder
01-19-2014, 02:10 AM
The old mounts cannot be used for the Racer or any other center pull brake; they're different.

I was under the impression that Paul Racer mounts take standard cantis while ones like Mafacs and Gran Compes take different ones.

ColonelJLloyd
01-19-2014, 09:07 AM
I was under the impression that Paul Racer mounts take standard cantis while ones like Mafacs and Gran Compes take different ones.

Apparently they do. I apologize for the misinformation.

http://www.paulcomp.com/support/centerpull_brakes.html

EricEstlund
01-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Paul Racers that fit brazed on posts will work with posts made for traditional cantilever bosses. What they will not do is work with those bosses brazed at cantilever height- they need to be significantly further up the frame/ fork.

In a traditional cantilever, the brake pad is above the pivot while center pull it is well below the pivot. You can see the relative position in relation to the brake track.

Canti-
http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1313/5104826767_a5d42bf12b.jpg
Racer-
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7171/6638924033_3457030faa.jpg