PDA

View Full Version : New wheels...your advice kindly requested!

a4racer
01-16-2014, 05:26 PM
Ahoy there all you fellow Paceliners. You guys have been a wonderful community for the past several years, and I thought that you might also be a great resource for advice.

I'm looking for a new set of wheels. I'm currently on Reynolds DV3K wheels, debadged for the stealthy look, and I do enjoy them. I think, however, that I'd like to go back to aluminum. I prefer the super stoppy nature of a good set of aluminum wheels, and I don't need the aero profile of the Reynolds. I'm doing more climbing and I feel that a nice set of new wheels should be in my future.

I'm 200 pounds, ride a mix of flat and hills, and am loving my Cervelo with Red (20) (the bike upon which the new wheels would be mounted).

Locally, I have two pretty good options:

1. New Mavic R-Sys SLR
2. New R45s on 340s w/revolution spokes (to be built by my buddy wrench)

I know the price is disparate between the two, but here is my best analysis, as they are both pretty similar in price...

Mavic Pros:
Laterally stiffer
Slightly lighter
Matches the murdered out aesthetic of my bike (matte black)
Loud jet-like braking noise (so say the reviews) (and yes, that is a PRO!)

Mavic Cons:
Pricier
Proprietary spoke / hub design
Worried about the Exalith finish rubbing off and making 'em look less sexy

R45 / 340 Pros:
Cheaper
Easier to service (not proprietary)

R45 / 340 Cons:
Somewhat lacking in the superswanky factor (in comparison)
Not as stiff as the Mavics

I'd welcome your recommendations, or comments you might have on my pros and cons lists above!

Thanks all!

(and yes, that means my Reynolds DV3Ks are shortly up for sale!)

eBAUMANN
01-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Well...if you dont want wider 23mm rims...the mavics would be a great option, as I have always been pretty happy with the mavic wheels I've had in my life...

that said, i HIGHLY recommend trying some wider rims.

drink the kool aid my friend, its quite tasty ;)

crownjewelwl
01-16-2014, 05:29 PM
get the mavics purely on aesthetics...that exalith looks real nice

eBAUMANN
01-16-2014, 05:35 PM
get the mavics purely on aesthetics...that exalith looks real nice

or that
:banana:

AngryScientist
01-16-2014, 05:47 PM
second time i'm recommending these this week!

DA9000 C24's !!

rnhood
01-16-2014, 05:55 PM
I can't imagine a better wheel set than the Shimano 9000 C24's. They are not the lightest (1380g advertised) but offer a superb ride and no weight limit. I own two sets and they really shine when the road tilts up.

I do not own the Mavic R-sys but have ridden them. They are stiff and also feel very good when climbing. I can not comment on the aero properties but do not think they are as good as the C24 wheels. Some people say they are harsh riding but I did not find them that way - although I do not put high pressure in the tires. Having said this, I still prefer the silky smooth and suitably quiet DA wheels. One of the best cycling products I ever purchased. They are relatively expensive though, which is their achilles heel.

The R45's I'm not familiar with.

chomeo
01-16-2014, 05:57 PM
^^ what Scientist said. I've seen those C24 rolls. Man it's just beautiful. Also, DA hubsets are purtttyyy!

FlashUNC
01-16-2014, 06:15 PM
I can't believe someone listed an R45 hub and didn't list the freehub noise as a con.

Fwiw, Mavic says that if you use their pads properly, the Exalith should not wear off.

rustychisel
01-16-2014, 06:25 PM
I can't believe someone listed an R45 hub and didn't list the freehub noise as a con.

Fwiw, Mavic says that if you use their pads properly, the Exalith should not wear off.

heh heh. The mind boggles as to how many improper use of Mavic brake pads one could find. Buffing back skid marks on nitric carbide coated underpants?

ceolwulf
01-16-2014, 06:29 PM
You could buy jwad's Campy Neutrons - http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=142598

that way I don't have to :help:

FlashUNC
01-16-2014, 06:40 PM
heh heh. The mind boggles as to how many improper use of Mavic brake pads one could find. Buffing back skid marks on nitric carbide coated underpants?

I'd rather not know what those mad Frenchmen have thought to do with their brake pads and rim treatment.

a4racer
01-16-2014, 06:42 PM
second time i'm recommending these this week!

DA9000 C24's !!

My LBS refuses to put those on (I asked) because I don't have any other DA on my bike. It would confuse my bike, I think. DA wheels? SRAM group? Poor Cervelo. Doesn't know if it is coming or going.

Hahaha!

Mr. Pink
01-16-2014, 08:09 PM
The Mavics are available with a three year unconditional (well, crashes) supplemental warranty, for, like 60 bucks or so, last I checked. Three years is a long time for wheels.

oldpotatoe
01-16-2014, 08:33 PM
-Mavic rear hub design one of the worse there is.
-non proprietary rims/spokes not a good idea
-wouldn't recommend 340 rims and rev spokes....wouldn't recommend Stan's rims at all. DT rims, like 440, DT/WI/CK hubs, DT comps T least DS rear.

sjbraun
01-16-2014, 09:13 PM
King Classics are horrible, but I don't find my R45s unpleasant at all.
None of my cycling friends have ever commented negatively about the R45 sound. In fact, they are quieter than my DT Swiss 24os or Alchemy Orcs.

Cat3roadracer
01-16-2014, 09:24 PM
Find new cycling friends. The sound of a King hub is like fine music.

Camelstache
01-16-2014, 09:25 PM
Get the r45s. You will eventually break spokes. They are easy to replace. Sourcing Mavic proprietarity stuff is annoying.

If you like to ride a lot and are "facta non verba" get the Chris King wheels. If aesthetic trumps all else, and you plan to flip them in the near future, buy the Mavics.

josephr
01-16-2014, 09:35 PM
there's no rush and the two options you've given are night and day. I'd stay away from the Mavic wheels mentioned just because if something goes wrong, you're stuck...and, they may be 'swank' but that's only in the mind of the easily impressed.

pre-built wheels -- look at the DAs as suggested, DT Swiss R23 Spline (my favorite wheel ever)...

custom wheels - lots of great options there...the best part about them is if built/bought through your local wrench, he's gonna take care of you not just during the break-in period, but also for the life of wheel.

good luck with your next set...

Seramount
01-16-2014, 09:45 PM
another vote for C24s.

thoroughly enjoying mine and I like the fact that the rear hub is silent.

the Mavics I tried looked badass, but the ride quality was ragged.

thirdgenbird
01-16-2014, 09:53 PM
R45
archetype
DT comp
28/24
2x
Veloflex master

a4racer
02-26-2014, 10:25 AM
there's no rush and the two options you've given are night and day. I'd stay away from the Mavic wheels mentioned just because if something goes wrong, you're stuck...and, they may be 'swank' but that's only in the mind of the easily impressed.

pre-built wheels -- look at the DAs as suggested, DT Swiss R23 Spline (my favorite wheel ever)...

custom wheels - lots of great options there...the best part about them is if built/bought through your local wrench, he's gonna take care of you not just during the break-in period, but also for the life of wheel.

good luck with your next set...

Also, the Mavics are ungodly expensive. I think I'll go custom, but wait and see what is good and what my wrench ultimately recommends. He is very hot on the R45s as are most of the comments here!

RedRider
02-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Take a look at the HED Ardennes CL.
They are a wide 23 rim and if you want to really push it go for the Plus, 25mm, version.

Kirk Pacenti
02-26-2014, 11:05 AM
The Pacenti SL23 rim w/ CK hubs would work well too.

Fwiw, the SL23 is actually 24mm wide... Lot's of good reviews to be found on our rim here and elsewhere.

RedRider
02-26-2014, 11:15 AM
The Pacenti SL23 rim w/ CK hubs would work well too.

Fwiw, the SL23 is actually 24mm wide... Lot's of good reviews to be found on our rim here and elsewhere.

Pacenti is an excellent option. Sometimes the best choice is staring you in the face...or on the top right of the page!

Tony
02-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Pacenti is an excellent option. Sometimes the best choice is staring you in the face...or on the top right of the page!

Pacenti in the rear, Stans up front, Tune hubs. If I had to do it over again I'd go with Pacenti all around.
https://plus.google.com/photos/107709068384636814318/albums/5984143274310824801

oldguy00
02-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Nicest aluminum wheelset I've had my hands on over the past few years are Campy Shamal Ultras. I think you can get them with a shimano freehub?
So smooooooth.

summilux
02-26-2014, 01:19 PM
Nicest aluminum wheelset I've had my hands on over the past few years are Campy Shamal Ultras. I think you can get them with a shimano freehub?
So smooooooth.

^^Yes this or to Neutrons. If not either, then talk to Ergott.

Dromen
02-26-2014, 08:48 PM
Ordering soon for a new baby due in 6 - 8 weeks
Belgium+(25mm)
R45 Disc
28/28

DCW
02-26-2014, 09:38 PM
For those of you who are on board with the DA C24's: can anyone tell me if the Ultegra 8700 wheelset is a better bargain? the 8700's are significantly cheaper, but appear to be all the same "trickle down" tech of the DA's. It seems to me that beyond the obvious Carbon rim on the DA's, these two wheel sets are really comparable. I'm not familiar with carbon wheels, so is that difference alone worth it?

don'TreadOnMe
02-26-2014, 09:54 PM
No.
Fulcrum Racing 3's.

:-P

Brainbike
02-26-2014, 09:57 PM
I, like you, am a bit heavier than the average roadie. Elites or SLS are bullet proof if you are an observant rider. Off the shelf and responsive.

EchelonLeft
02-26-2014, 10:11 PM
I haven't ridden that particular set of Mavics, but I've been on 3 sets of Mavic since 1999: Cosmic Elite, Helium, Ksyrium.
They all roll like greased neutrinos.

russ46
02-27-2014, 11:10 AM
Pacenti SL23's with White hubs are a great combo. Only downside is mounting and dismounting the tires (and to save comments, I've tried all the tricks to ease the agony).

dstahl1965
02-28-2014, 06:56 AM
I am a large rider as well and my Mavic Ksyriums have been bullet proof.