PDA

View Full Version : Outrage at Giro D'Italia wildcards

chengher87
01-16-2014, 05:24 PM
Not me personally (check the comments section at other news outlets)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bardiani-csf-colombia-and-yellowfluo-handed-giro-ditalia-wildcard-invitations

I understand that they wanted to push more Italian teams to the Giro, but I still don't agree with YellowFluo and Colombia (former being an Italia pro continental team and the latter having Italian influences with Bianchi and now Wilier as sponsors). YellowFluo had TWO positive tests last year and I remember the outrage last year at Vini Fantini only getting a wildcard due to signing Di Luca (now who could have seen that coming).

My only reasoning for Team Colombia is that the directors probably felt bad that the Colombians weren't able to really test out their climbing legs at last year's Giro due to the insane weather conditions. However, Team Colombia did disappoint not only in the Giro last year, but all of Italy's other races they were invited to (Trentino, MSR, T-A). The only victory I remember is Atapuma in the Tour de Pologne and he's now on BMC.

MTN-Qhubeka was the underdog choice, but I was hoping for Net App Endura to get in. Had a good showing at last year's Vuelta.