PDA

View Full Version : cheap roller squealing question

572cv
01-15-2014, 02:40 PM
So, to reduce boredom and improve skills, I try to alternate between the lemond revolution and a cheap older set of rollers which still work. Cheap means plastic rollers which have worn fairly smooth in the center at this point. The thing is they have wicked squeal most of the time, especially in the worn part at center. A new set of rollers seems like too much without at least trying to make these better... Anyone have any thoughts about tire squeal reduction on the rollers? sandpaper? something sticky? duct tape? Any thoughts welcome.

ultraman6970
01-15-2014, 02:55 PM
Talking serious here ok?

Maybe You can change the plastic tubing. Measure the diameter and I bet some of the plastic tubing that home depot sells has the same diameter. Just dumb to design rollers with a special diameter when there is tube moving around everywhere.

Steve in SLO
01-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Maybe more tire pressure will calm it down?

01-15-2014, 03:06 PM
The problem is tire squealing on the polished surface. I've seen this frequently on well-used plastic-drum rollers at the track. A little carbide paper should cure it. Don't take a lot off -- just roughen it up a bit. Alternatively, a tire with more aggressive tread pattern may help as well but will also squeal when the tread starts to polish.

572cv
01-15-2014, 04:08 PM
The problem is tire squealing on the polished surface. I've seen this frequently on well-used plastic-drum rollers at the track. A little carbide paper should cure it. Don't take a lot off -- just roughen it up a bit. Alternatively, a tire with more aggressive tread pattern may help as well but will also squeal when the tread starts to polish.

Seems like this is appropriate to the condition. I'm thinking like grit for a floor sander to rough it up.

This is really about squeezing the season out of these things. That allows looking for replacement at one's leisure.

Thanks.