PDA

View Full Version : Does it ever stop?!

chengher87
01-15-2014, 01:03 PM
The buying bike stuff I mean. I've been on a poor man's version of a spending spree lately. But I just can't help it. I normally tell myself, just look, you don't actually need anything. But then I see some auctions about to expire at prices you can't beat and I put in a bid or offer that I think won't go through and boom, I win. I mean here is a list of some the things I've bought on ebay just in the last week (used, but in very good condition):

Campy Centaur front shifter (10s) - $38
Campy Chrous rear shifter (10s) - $35
Shimano Tiagra rear derailleur (4600) - $8
Shimano Ultegra rear derailleur (6600) - $13
Shimano 5600 shifters - $30
Shimano Tiagra front derailleur NEW (4600) - $8

I mean, I don't actually need any of this stuff now, but for future builds and such, I just couldn't pass them up!

Anyone else have this problem?

soupless
01-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Those my friend are some pretty stellar snags.
I used to hoard stuff like that, but now I just buy extra diapers and onesies in the next size up.:help:

dave thompson
01-15-2014, 01:14 PM
No it never stops, though your taste will improve with age!

Elefantino
01-15-2014, 01:19 PM
"Need"? What exactly is this "need" you speak of?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Uncle Jam's Army
01-15-2014, 01:23 PM
No. Just ask Ari.

MattTuck
01-15-2014, 01:52 PM
Just when you feel like you are all set, you see a picture like this.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CtiKDgHzu2A/T9-aH8E7YMI/AAAAAAAACmQ/FbDLwbYirDI/s1600/all%2Bframes.jpg

ultraman6970
01-15-2014, 02:58 PM
Well if you have the money probably it wont stop. The more you have the more you spend :D

gdw
01-15-2014, 03:06 PM
Yes it can stop. Most of the folks I know who log mega miles focus more on their rides/adventures than the toys used to accomplish them.

sandyrs
01-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Hrrrrrrng

Just when you feel like you are all set, you see a picture like this.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CtiKDgHzu2A/T9-aH8E7YMI/AAAAAAAACmQ/FbDLwbYirDI/s1600/all%2Bframes.jpg

donevwil
01-15-2014, 03:47 PM
Yes it can stop. Most of the folks I know who log mega miles focus more on their rides/adventures than the toys used to accomplish them.

Very good point, the less I ride the more I collect and visa versa.

victoryfactory
01-15-2014, 04:21 PM
Sure it can stop. It's stopped for me....
I haven't bought a bike in five years.
And I won't.
(Until a perfect Peg comes along. 52cm please)
At which point, I'll have a relapse, followed by a lame excuse.

VF

John M
01-15-2014, 04:24 PM
Post holidays is the best time of year to get the eBay deals...

bluesea
01-15-2014, 05:18 PM
I have two SS MTBs. One will be a 1x10 soon, so I'd like another SS, maybe a WW version. :D

chomeo
01-15-2014, 05:20 PM
those Hampsten...talk about wall art!

fuzzalow
01-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Those parts were acquired as some exceptional deals, whaddaya gonna do? You gotta take a swing at a sitter like that. Doing that is not an act of addiction.

Of course buying bike stuff stops, just not right away. But after you've been at it a while, especially as you refine your taste, there is less and less temptation for more stuff that is really just more of the same as from before.

I'd suggest cutting through the chaff and it really just distills down to buying italian or custom builder steel frames and only Campagnolo. Easy, huh?

rustychisel
01-15-2014, 06:11 PM
Yes, it stops, but then it goes backward at an increasingly frantic pace, but you've got a way to go yet.

Collecting mostly Centaur... you have the Chorus and Record then Super Record range to get through.

When it starts going backward is when you opt out of the arms race and start looking wistfully at old steel frames. Then old components for those steel frames. Then wondering if a Brooks Swallow might be the perfect saddle. Then buying outrageously priced Handlebra 'wrap' because bar tape suddenly isn't good enough. Perhaps you'll need to source a pair of 28h Campagnolo rims to build those wheels you've been saving those 'special' hubs for...

Oh, and you'll need the official retro jersey that goes with that special build.

YoKev
01-15-2014, 06:16 PM
It gets better. Eventually, instead of bikes, you'll just buy frames and swap components back and forth.

Buy buy buy.

mike p
01-15-2014, 06:24 PM
Yup it can stop, but it may take awhile. One morning I woke up and relized I had ten complete bikes, a half dozen frames, about 20 spare handlebars, a dozen spare saddles, about thirty stems, and tons of other assorted bike parts. Ever since that day I've been slowly getting rid of stuff. More riding less stuff.

Mike

chengher87
01-15-2014, 06:40 PM
Haha, thanks for the anecdotes guys.

I'm actually in that gray area right now. With all the snow, ice and cold, I am getting antsy about riding outside. So, I have to turn to "window" shopping (not convincing anyone) to get the urges out.

It's also like most of you are saying. I'd like to try and get experience with enough different components so that whenever I get that dream frame, I'll know what components go on to make the ride as enjoyable as possible (and stylish at the same time!).

It also doesn't hurt to have some backups just in case something breaks, crash....or fall in love with another dream frame :)

ceolwulf
01-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Building up a cross bike now so it's been a lot of purchasing. But then I plan to sell my mountain bike and most likely my road bike so would be down to one bike for the first time in years. However the road bike would be replaced and I must admit to already shopping for frames.

Sometimes I think I only sell bikes because it gives me a good excuse to buy new ones, preferably piece by piece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bking
01-15-2014, 06:52 PM
Yup it can stop, but it may take awhile. One morning I woke up and relized I had ten complete bikes, a half dozen frames, about 20 spare handlebars, a dozen spare saddles, about thirty stems, and tons of other assorted bike parts. Ever since that day I've been slowly getting rid of stuff. More riding less stuff.

Mike

I get a frame, i gotta hang stuff on it. I get stuff, I gotta get a frame. more frames. more stuff. more riding.

it's just a vicious circle.

oliver1850
01-16-2014, 12:32 AM
Nothing wrong with your taste, it's all good stuff.

I don't know if it will ever stop. It seems I won't be satisfied till I've tried everything ever made, including lots of stuff I ignored 20 years ago. I don't think I have that much time left.

laupsi
01-16-2014, 05:25 AM

Mike

this is inspirational, going to put out there for my wife to read. I have still so far to go... :)

AgilisMerlin
01-16-2014, 07:25 AM
When you sell it all on the forum, we will reference these / bought for price.

alessandro
01-16-2014, 09:09 AM
I don't have a problem.
I can quit anytime.
These were too good to pass up.
What's the harm in putting a low bid or two?

Are you asking for help?:help:;)

The buying bike stuff I mean. I've been on a poor man's version of a spending spree lately. But I just can't help it. I normally tell myself, just look, you don't actually need anything. But then I see some auctions about to expire at prices you can't beat and I put in a bid or offer that I think won't go through and boom, I win. I mean here is a list of some the things I've bought on ebay just in the last week (used, but in very good condition):

Campy Centaur front shifter (10s) - $25
Campy Chrous rear shifter (10s) - $35
Shimano Tiagra rear derailleur (4600) - $8
Shimano Ultegra rear derailleur (6600) - $13
Shimano 5600 shifters - $30
Shimano Tiagra front derailleur NEW (4600) - $8

I mean, I don't actually need any of this stuff now, but for future builds and such, I just couldn't pass them up!

Anyone else have this problem?

therealpeel
01-18-2014, 10:51 AM
It stops when the money runs out or when the family threatens to run out.

cachagua
01-18-2014, 11:15 AM
"It stops when the money runs out" -- you touch on a deeply significant point there, as did another of our members some weeks back. We buy what we buy, and more broadly we do what we do (after all, in today's culture, what we buy *is* what we do; there is no more culturally significant activity than consuming) --we do not because it's advisable, not necessarily because we want to (as if we could even identify our wants), but merely because we can.

And what's the matter with that? Future generations going to look back with embarrassment, or ridicule, or rage on our ways? Hell no, they're gonna look back with ENVY!

Y'all enjoy your afternoon, I'm heading over to eBay. . .

Mr Cabletwitch
01-18-2014, 11:34 AM
I used to have a garage bull of bikes, but eventually I found bikes that I loved so much I can't imagine riding anything else. Now I have two bikes, one road and one mountain and the only thing I do is maintain them so I know they are always ready to go. The only extra bike I miss is my cross check because that could do everything and I never worried about getting it dirty.

AgilisMerlin
01-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Does it ever stop?

>no< /

chengher87
01-24-2014, 09:35 AM
CORIMA wheelset (1500g) - $72 used (ebay)
Campagnolo Veloce shifters - $90 New (Ribble)
Allen 102DB trunk rack - $20 New (ebay)
Shimano Sora Dbl front shifter - $20 New (ebay)
Blackburn 3.0 cyclocomputer - $7.50 BNIB (Nashbar return)

This week's haul. Although I am finally getting the urge to stop. Hadn't actually purchased anything in a few months before. But since I just recently decided to fund/build a bike for a friend, all the emotions just started flooding back. The only things left to buy are the necessities and those aren't necessary until late June, early July.

dana_e
01-24-2014, 09:45 AM
after getting a Time frame, really smooth and comfy, I got an Edge Racer.

I sold all the steel bikes off, except my bridgestone rb-3

and am working on liquidating my campy hoard boxes and wheels

Anyone need some sliver chorus hubs laced to Ambrosio Excellence 32H rims Blue

I got them from a friend, the are labeled colnago as well. I live near Ari, but have not gotten on his swag program yet, DANA