PDA

View Full Version : Shim question

saab2000
01-26-2006, 04:07 PM
I have noticed that some bikes require different sized seatposts. One thing I am sort of interested in requires a 29.4 seatpost. Are there quality shims available to size from a 27.2 to a 29.4? Or other sizes? And the emphasis is on quality - i.e., is it really made for that or are we talking about cutting up Fosters cans?

Or are you stuck getting the one seatpost which is made for a certain type of frame? I once saw a Colnago C-40 or C-50 which had a Campagnolo seatpost and I had always assumed that they were odd sized and didn't take Campy posts. So what's the deal?

Spicoli
01-26-2006, 04:18 PM
I have noticed that some bikes require different sized seatposts. One thing I am sort of interested in requires a 29.4 seatpost. Are there quality shims available to size from a 27.2 to a 29.4? Or other sizes? And the emphasis is on quality - i.e., is it really made for that or are we talking about cutting up Fosters cans?

Or are you stuck getting the one seatpost which is made for a certain type of frame? I once saw a Colnago C-40 or C-50 which had a Campagnolo seatpost and I had always assumed that they were odd sized and didn't take Campy posts. So what's the deal?
Hey, Saab
You are correct in that C50/40's need shims if you want to use a 27.2 post. They are 28.0 w/out a shim but they have worked fine for me with or without the shim (no slipping). I also had a couple of Orbeas that you had to use a shim with, the early Starship frames left no other option but to shim down and use a 27.2 post. I dont think they could draw the tube any smaller. This too worked with no problem. The qaulity(as in QBP) shims look like they are well "qaulity" for lack of a better word and my guess would be that they would work fine. Actually the only thing I ever used that worked like crap was the beer can trick.
:beer: Cheers

jerk
01-26-2006, 04:19 PM
many companies make shims that are specific for that use. "use" makes some nice ones, but they're all fine.

jerk

saab2000
01-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Neat. Jerk knows what I am talkin' 'bout here.

Climb01742
01-26-2006, 04:35 PM
thomson makes a seatpost that fits a c40 w/o a shim.

kokies
01-27-2006, 08:33 AM
I have a used thomson 29.4 post if anyone needs it. Fat city cycles bike used to take these.

cpg
01-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Seat post shims work but they're further proof of the dumbing down of the industry. Instead of properly designing the frames, manufacturers have resorted to shims. It's laughable that people don't see this for what it is... a cheap stop gap due to poor design.

Curt

saab2000
01-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Curt,

I see your point. But why should bike/frame manufacturers confine themselves to a seatpost standard if they think another size is superior? Why don't the tubing makers and the component makers work a bit together on this? And why don't they work on a new bottom bracket standard?

Which came first, the bike standards or the component sizes? (chicken or egg?)

If there is a better way, don't you think that the frame makers have an obigation to make it?

Just playing the Teufel's advocate here.... But why should everything be built around an arbitrary standard, like 27.2 mm?

jeh
01-28-2006, 10:36 PM
I'm too am having fun with this issue at the moment.

http://www.losering.net/images/spost.jpg

:)

Guess what 1 part I need to finish this bike? I found one on ebay, but it was sent via fedex home delivery... I wonder if it'll ever actually get here.....

trying to be patient,

-j