PDA

View Full Version : wrenching re: Shimano mountain thumb/trigger shifters and Shimnao road front d

eddief
01-14-2014, 03:49 PM
do these shifters and a road front derailleur work together? this would be for 9 speeds rear and triple front. somehow had this thought that the shifter cable pull and the road deraileur geometry might not match. I am using barend shifters now, but may prefer trigger type instead.

PacNW2Ford
01-14-2014, 05:00 PM
Shimano made a "flat bar" Ultegra-level non-series set of components that had trigger shifters and a specific front derailleur. I am not sure what made it "specific". I have the matched set of shifters and triple FD for 9-speed if you are interested.

eddief
01-14-2014, 06:16 PM
if this combo shifts fine with 9 speed bar ends, then it should work fine with 9 speed triggers? Except the left bar end is not indexed and I think the rt trigger is indexed.

eddief
01-14-2014, 06:16 PM
oops

Ken Robb
01-14-2014, 06:47 PM
left trigger is indexed and I can shift better with my barends than with my trigger on the left side (front). The trigger requires quite a large movement of my thumb.

oldpotatoe
01-15-2014, 08:02 AM
do these shifters and a road front derailleur work together? this would be for 9 speeds rear and triple front. somehow had this thought that the shifter cable pull and the road deraileur geometry might not match. I am using barend shifters now, but may prefer trigger type instead.

No, they aren't compatible. Look for a MTB front der designed for bigger rings..like in the 8s or early 9s MTB days..

kramnnim
01-15-2014, 09:05 AM
I used a 9sp LX shifter with an 8sp era triple road FD. It worked, but wasn't great. I think the MTB shifter pulls more cable than the road FD needs, so when in the big ring, the cable tension was very high, trying to push the FD farther out. (against the limit screw)

Gummee
01-15-2014, 11:29 AM
I used a 9sp LX shifter with an 8sp era triple road FD. **It worked, but wasn't great.** I think the MTB shifter pulls more cable than the road FD needs, so when in the big ring, the cable tension was very high, trying to push the FD farther out. (against the limit screw)

This. You can get em to sorta-kinda work together, but it isn't all that great.

Good luck!

M

oliver1850
01-15-2014, 01:14 PM
I used Deore 9 flat bar shifters on a road double with a Sachs 5000 FD. It was the only one in the collection at the time that had geometry compatible with the shifter. You will sometimes see them listed as "Sachs 5". I'd guess other Sachs like 7000, Rival or New Success would also work.

I have R770 and R443 FDs on hand now. I'm pretty sure that they are both for flat bar shifters, but I don't know if Shimano's MTB and FB road shifters pull the same amount of cable. One of them might work for you, but I haven't tried them.