PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 800/810 Heads Up

CaptStash
01-14-2014, 02:58 PM
I have a Garmin 80-0, and was experiencing the dreaded failure to pair with my computer. I Googled (doesn't everyone?) and found out that it is a common problem. I managed to clean the connector on the unit and got it working again. In the process, I called Garmin, and they helpfully offered to send me a new one for about $100. Oy.

Anyway, the heads up part. The Garmin gal I talked to was in Oregon and she let me know that what they do there is use vaseline as a dielectric grease to keep moisture from getting to the USB connector. I have been doing that, and also use a bit of electrical tape to keep the little rubber door closed. Since starting to do that, the unit has worked perfectly.

CaptStash....

AngryScientist
01-14-2014, 03:02 PM
what they do there is use vaseline as a dielectric grease...

sounds like something we would do at sea eh? why on earth would garmin not just use real dielectric grease??

good tip though, i've ridden through some pretty nasty conditions recently with my 800, and it's been doing well, but a little moisture barrier is probably an excellent idea.

CaptStash
01-14-2014, 03:42 PM
The issue appears to be corrosion on the connectors, so if you're using it in the wet, if take some steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

cachagua
01-14-2014, 11:01 PM
Captain, you're overcomplicating this. You want to know how much you ride? Put a piece of masking tape on your stem, and Sharpie on it "MORE THAN ANYONE".

Problem solved.

CaptStash
01-14-2014, 11:22 PM
Captain, you're overcomplicating this. You want to know how much you ride? Put a piece of masking tape on your stem, and Sharpie on it "MORE THAN ANYONE".

Problem solved.

Says the man with the garage queen Merckx! When are you coming out to play?

CaptStash....