PDA

View Full Version : Skewers-a strange question

Mud
01-26-2006, 07:55 AM
In response to what has been posted on this forum my plan was to do away with the Salsa Ti Skewers and use Dura Ace on the clinchers and the new tubies built with AC hubs. To this end I have been able to purchase two sets of skewers including a brand new front so that when I blaze along at 14mph nothing bad happens.

The skewers did not fit! It was too fat for the AC front hub. I tried an XT just for comparison and it was also too tight. The Salsa Ti was fine. I haven't tried Campy since it is a Shimano build and I prefer it that way.

Since I am a little concerned about having a secure set of wheels, do you have any suggestions on what else might work for me.

Looks like good weather in Boonton for the weekend to try the tubies.

Bruce

CT Rider
01-26-2006, 08:11 AM
In response to what has been posted on this forum my plan was to do away with the Salsa Ti Skewers and use Dura Ace on the clinchers and the new tubies built with AC hubs

Mud,

Was there a thread that I missed that spoke about problems with Salsa Skewers? I believe you are referring to the thread where Keno described how his skewer (non-Salsa) failed on a ride and his training on rollers helped prevent a major disaster. I recently replaced the skewers in both of my bike with Salsas (One Ti and the other SS sets) and would like to know if there is a design/manuf issue with the Salsas?

Bruce K
01-26-2006, 08:28 AM
I don't remember failure issues, just some folks dislike for the way they operate vs a more positive feel from other brands.

I have Salsas on my cross bike and am not changing them anytime soon.

BK

Mud
01-26-2006, 08:44 AM
The clamping power of the Dura Ace or Campy is much great according to Sheldon Browne and the concensus on this site. It would not be much of an issue with me if my fork had "lawyer tabs" which seems to be a no no for whatever reason. I have had Salsa Skewers before and used them with no problem on a mountain bike, but I would prefer a skewer without the separate cam.

Bruce

Too Tall
01-26-2006, 09:07 AM
There is no problem with Salsa Skewers and Sheldon sometimes thinks too hard about stuff...bless his furry little heart :)

What do you mean? The skewers are too tight or loose? I don't understand.

Mud
01-26-2006, 09:09 AM
not get the skewer through the hub. The hole is clean, no burrs. The XT skewer was tight, I had to tap it out.

zap
01-26-2006, 05:11 PM
It's quite possible that your AC hub axle ends have ID that is a bit small. Call AC and have them send new axle ends or have someone drill yours out a tad.

Happened to me with one of my skewers.

Fixed
01-26-2006, 05:17 PM
bro I'm shocked someone had trouble with an a.c. hub .cheers :beer:

Mud
01-26-2006, 05:49 PM
that The AC hubs are a little weird. When I had them on my Truth I was on a first name basis with the guy at the bearing shop. But they were cheap and tubies are an experiment so not much is invested. I will use the Salsa Ti's for the time being. Looks like a good weekend coming to try them out. Just got off the trainer. I am too old for 7% grades at the end of the ride. I need Medivac.

Fixed
01-26-2006, 08:05 PM
bro I just pick up some weird purple skewers out of the junk box they are called ringle they are ti it looks like and they screw tight, they seem to have forgotten campy's invention. cheers :beer:

The Spider
01-27-2006, 01:46 AM
bro I'm shocked someone had trouble with an a.c. hub .cheers :beer:

you are so beautiful to meeeeeeeee!

you will get mass respect from any mountain bikers for using any purple ano parts from Jeff Ringlé. very 1990. good stuff though.