PDA

View Full Version : Delray vist questions...

572cv
01-13-2014, 09:03 AM
I am going to visit my parents in Delray Beach FL in two weeks. Short trip, just four days. Questions....

1. Where is there decent riding there? Much traffic? or more to the point, non aggressive traffic?

2. Should I bring my travel bike or is there any decent place to rent a fun bike, (assuming positive answers to question 1) ?

Thanks for any thoughts.

RonW87
01-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Just back from there. All the riding is up and down A1A between Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale. Actually very nice riding IMHO.

1. Bikes are availaible for rent in Ft. Lauderdale and possibly Delray Beach itself. Not sure of names of bike shops but google should get you there.

2. Louis Garneau Florida website has info on their rides. Generally I think they meet at Hillsboro and A1A (in Deerfield Beach) on Tues and Thurs mornings at 9am.

3. Mike's Ride (local hotshot ride) starts in Ft. Lauderdale at Commercial and A1A Sat. and Sun. at 7am. Bring lights if you are going to ride to the start before the sun is up. I think they also start at 6am during certain days of the week.

Enjoy!

Ron

zap
01-13-2014, 10:36 AM
hmmmm, me too, heading down to visit my dad in early february.

Dad is renovating his house so I will be staying at the Delray Marriott right on A1A.

In the past I rented a bike from a shop in Delray (on route 1?) and rode up and down A1A. I love it when it's windy. I've ridden up to Palm Beach and back to Delray. Never down to Lauderdale as that held no appeal to me.

Motor traffic is mostly civilized in Florida but I live in the D.C. ,metro area so its relative. Just pay attention when crossing intersections…….not unusual for someone to drive through a red light at anytime.

572cv
01-13-2014, 03:30 PM
Thanks, Ron and Zap. Good info! Cheers to you both.

BTW, will be different from my Vermont ride yesterday, which was pleasant enough. Mid 30's with about a 10 MPH n.w. wind and light hail and freezing rain, but generally dry roads and it was so great to be outside on a bike that I didn't mind any of the weather. One could see the snow showers and splotches of sun over in the Adirondacks, the waves on Lake Champlain and then at the crest of the next hill, the Green Mountains in skuddy dark clouds in the other direction. Very nice for around here in January.

54ny77
01-14-2014, 01:25 AM
FWIW, not a cycling topic, but two thumbs up for City Oyster for dinner. Esp. if they've got the live jazz going in the evenings. Great food and atmosphere.