PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors

cmbicycles
01-12-2014, 11:01 PM
Does anyone have a non-obtrusive mirror on their road bike that they like?

With having had a couple near misses in the last few months and seeing several on this forum that have been hit, I keep coming back the idea of getting one. I used to laugh at the idea of having a mirror, but since I am older, fatter, and have a family I figure if I can find one that works that is pretty inobtrusive I may as well give it a try. I lean towards something that goes in the end of a drop bar, but doesn't stick out much. Is there such a beast? An incognito mirror that works well?

Admiral Ackbar
01-13-2014, 12:23 AM
the ultralite german mirror is supposed to be pretty good

donevwil
01-13-2014, 12:59 AM
After waking up in the ER totally unaware that I'd had an accident (and been hit-and-run'd) I started riding with a mirror. Tried a handlebar end mounted one and hated it (to shaky and poor optics), then tried three different plastic framed helmet mounted ones before settling on the Take-A-Look mirror that mounts on my glasses. Glass mirror is very clear and the metal frame lasts and is rigid. It provides a darn good field of view for it's size (close to the eye) and allows you to look around, not just behind. Once it's set right and you're used to it, it's not annoying at all. Of course I do occasionally receive a "comment" on club rides, but after my experience I could care less what they think. I don't race any more either, so legality isn't a concern. Some bike tours require a mirror.

biker.caliente
01-13-2014, 01:11 AM
I've used Take-A-Look and several other sunglasses-mounted mirrors after a oh-so-close-call by a car when I didn't turn my head enough to look back. So far, Take-A-Look works the best for me, especially the compact version. After using these for a while, it is by no means obtrusive at all. Nowadays, I don't ride without them. Period.

You neck is always way more precious than your image.

biker72
01-13-2014, 05:51 AM
Take A Look is what I use. Tried some bar end mirrors that looked nice but had horrible optics.

dave thompson
01-13-2014, 07:11 AM
My wife and I both use the Take A Look. Easy on and off our riding glasses, stows away flat, they have saved us from some close calls.

MattTuck
01-13-2014, 07:19 AM
I use a helmet mounted mirror, but after reading the comments on the take-a-look, I may very well give it a try.

I feel there is a slight adjustment when you first start wearing a head mounted mirror, as your neck is not used to the micro-movements needed to point the mirror where you want it to look. But now, I feel naked riding without a mirror.

zmudshark
01-13-2014, 07:50 AM
I use a Sprintech on my left bar end. I was hit badly back in 1985, and can't look over my left shoulder. The Sprintech works well for me.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-OHfKrWQp6CY/Tup-JJLzQoI/AAAAAAAAGt4/EKLyUks9AXA/s800/P1020290.JPG

rwsaunders
01-13-2014, 07:55 AM
I've had good luck with the Sprintech product as well and the distributor in Bellingham is a pleasure to do business with. Make sure to order extra plugs as they can tear when removing for a new tape job. They fit very tightly in the bars and the mirrors don't move easily, which is a good thing as I bought one for commuting and riding on crappy city streets.

http://store.nexternal.com/pronet/sprintech-single-mirror-black-p89.aspx

dekindy
01-13-2014, 07:56 AM
http://www.bike-eye.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Zefal-472001-Spy-Bicycle-Mirror/dp/B000WYCF6Q/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1389620952&sr=8-14&keywords=bicycle+mirror

I like these. Bike-eye if you want a larger viewing error. However if you have to lay your bike on it's left side at rest stops or to transport in the trunk, all the weight will rest on the mirror and it will eventually break. I use the Zefal just like the Bike-eye, mounted on the down tube and look through my legs and do not have to worry about it breaking when laying the bike down but smaller viewing area. Not really intuitive but gives great vision using this method and is rock steady so no distortion for either mirror. Currently using the Zefal but purchased another Bike-eye because I like it so well and the Zefal is finally getting scratched after many seasons of use and needs replacing. Will try to be more careful with the Bike-eye this time but if it breaks will go back to the Zefal.

http://www.amazon.com/Sprintech-Drop-Mirror-Black-Pair/dp/B00168K3IY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1389621375&sr=8-7&keywords=bicycle+mirror

Sprintech is great also but kept knocking it out of adjustment when I would have to stop at intersections. Great solution also.

http://www.amazon.com/Mirrycle-Road-STI-Bicycle-Mirror/dp/B001BYK3WE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1389621375&sr=8-6&keywords=bicycle+mirror
Used this one for awhile but it vibrates too much. If you want to try it I can verify if I still have it stored in the basement and would send it to you. Might also still have an old, but scratched Sprintech, if you want to try it.

ceolwulf
01-13-2014, 08:11 AM
This is the one I'd try first.

http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RBM_1001

Willy
01-13-2014, 09:39 AM
Another vote for Take-a-look. Won't go riding without it. Tried all the handlebar and helmet mounted ones but none worked as well as this one.

tv_vt
01-13-2014, 09:55 AM
And I'll put in another vote for the Italian Bike Mirror sold through Aspire Velo Tech (or on eBay by them). Very unobtrusive and works great. It's an actual glass mirror with a bit of a fish-eye lens. They're on every bike I own.

Ralph
01-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Another vote for Take-a-look. Won't go riding without it. Tried all the handlebar and helmet mounted ones but none worked as well as this one.

What I use. After using one of these a while, I can't really ride without one.

dekindy
01-13-2014, 11:54 AM
And I'll put in another vote for the Italian Bike Mirror sold through Aspire Velo Tech (or on eBay by them). Very unobtrusive and works great. It's an actual glass mirror with a bit of a fish-eye lens. They're on every bike I own.

I would have to vote against Italian Bike Mirror. Mirror is very high quality, clear glass and is small and fixed so will not easily get out of adjustment. However very small viewing area combined with no adjustability is negative. Only mirror option that I can think of that is not adjustable so your handlebars cannot be rotated at all or it will point up or down and not be effective. Even smaller viewing area than Zefal which could be positioned on bar end if desired or the Sprintech are better options..

spokelacer
01-13-2014, 12:05 PM
I have tried about 10 different mirrors and I find that with all of them I have to stare into them hard just to see anything behind. They shake and cause more distraction than they help. While I haven't tried them all and the glasses mounted ones seem great, I will say that my best rear view is my ears(even in Boston noisy traffic). Obviously you need a mirror you are comfortable with, but if you ride with music, I personally find that dangerous. Just my two cents in a crowd of of people who know more than me.
I have been hit badly several times, and as an EMT I have responded to a few more. In none of the cases do I feel that a mirror would have helped. This was years ago and perhaps the new options are better.
May you be safe and ride long!

Pars
01-13-2014, 12:42 PM
I've had good luck with the Sprintech product as well and the distributor in Bellingham is a pleasure to do business with. Make sure to order extra plugs as they can tear when removing for a new tape job. They fit very tightly in the bars and the mirrors don't move easily, which is a good thing as I bought one for commuting and riding on crappy city streets.

http://store.nexternal.com/pronet/sprintech-single-mirror-black-p89.aspx

Thanks so much! I went thru hell trying to find addl plugs for mine (tore one as you mentioned).

I use one on my left bar and find it invaluable. It can be a bit difficult looking down and getting focused on the mirror image, but they are stable and don't jiggle around when I ride.

fiataccompli
01-13-2014, 12:49 PM
another vote for the take-a-look mirror mounted on glasses. I use it whenever i'm riding alone or in a group of about 3-4 or fewer (or, when I forget to take it off my glasses and it's time to roll....). It's a bit un-nerving & not nearly as helpful in a large group but alone or with one or two riders in any environment with car traffic I like having the information.

it took a ride or two to get used to it so it was just a spot I could periodically check (just like driving a car or motorcycle)

I prefer it to the bar end type mirrors because the view is consistent regardless of whether I'm on bar tops, hoods or drops

I do not have any issues with vibration or it moving out of adjustment.