PDA

View Full Version : Tristram Shandy

Dr. Doofus
01-26-2006, 06:05 AM
doof just heard michael winterbottom on npr say "no one has read that book"

that is doof's favorite novel

doof has read that three times

jerk: can we organize a concert to send doof to england to kick that limey's ***? this is serious

bike related content: uncle toby = manolo saiz? ergott has the slawkenbergius thing down with his technical drawings...tristram name checks flanders in volume I...so how cool is that?

BumbleBeeDave
01-26-2006, 06:38 AM
. . . in AP English back in high school. The instructor, for some unfathomable reason, thought this was the greatest English language novel ever written.

If I remember correctly, it was not.

Also, if I remember correctly, this was the literary debut of a certain Mrs. Malaprop, whose inability to correctly pronounce the language gave birth to the term "malapropism."

BBD

Dr. Doofus
01-26-2006, 07:35 AM
. . . in AP English back in high school. The instructor, for some unfathomable reason, thought this was the greatest English language novel ever written.

If I remember correctly, it was not.

Also, if I remember correctly, this was the literary debut of a certain Mrs. Malaprop, whose inability to correctly pronounce the language gave birth to the term "malapropism."

BBD

it is

it is not a book for high schoolers

mrs. malaprop was an invention of richard sheridan* (The Rivals)

Ken Lehner
01-26-2006, 07:44 AM
doof just heard michael winterbottom on npr say "no one has read that book"

that is doof's favorite novel

doof has read that three times

jerk: can we organize a concert to send doof to england to kick that limey's ***? this is serious

Believe it or not, my brother (who is the head of the English department at a high-zoot private school in New England) named his son Tristram. He was shocked that I knew the reference; all his friends, of course, knew about the book. Now the poor kid will have to go his whole life saying "No, not Tristan, Tristram".

xlbs
01-26-2006, 08:30 AM
finishing Tristram Shandy, and have been doing so for over 20 years. It's a marvelous read so far: clever, innovative, funny. So why haven't I finished it?

As in Uncle Toby's description of where he was injured at war, I divert your attention elsewhere, whereupon I promise to continue to attempt to finish what is truly one of the great novels of the world.

I'd like to include Middlemarch as a fine candidate for inclusion on the list of the greatest novels of all time, since it's more accessible to the general reader.

But, of course, literature, like choosing a bicycle, is all about preferences, personal interests, dislikes and delights.

Keep us reading, Dr. Doof.

sc53
01-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Read Tristram Shandy in college and still have the little grey paperback on my shelf. Perhaps will reread now that Doofus has reminded me of it. I vividly remember this scene of him trying to raise a window and ....

BumbleBeeDave
01-26-2006, 09:44 AM
I agree . . . I did not particularly enjoy reading it, nor anythnig else in that class, because they attempted to cover waaaaay too much material in preparation for the AP test.

"The Brothers Karamazov" in three days is not a good thing. That class permanently put me off reading both the classics and any really long novel.

BBD

flydhest
01-26-2006, 09:48 AM
BBDave,
Reminds me of a stand up comic, maybe Steven Wright, who said, deadpan, "I just finished a speed reading course. I read War and Peace in an hour. It's about Russia."

fiamme red
01-26-2006, 09:49 AM
doof just heard michael winterbottom on npr say "no one has read that book""No one" includes himself, of course. The Tristram Shandy he must have read is the comic-book version:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0879517689/sr=1-1/qid=1138290235/ref=sr_1_1/103-2394316-6188610?%5Fencoding=UTF8

jeffg
01-26-2006, 10:31 AM
and I remember those Konstantz aesthetic-reception types writing some decent essays on it too (probably while I was reading by the lake).

Dr. Doofus
01-26-2006, 10:55 AM
I agree . . . I did not particularly enjoy reading it, nor anythnig else in that class, because they attempted to cover waaaaay too much material in preparation for the AP test.

"The Brothers Karamazov" in three days is not a good thing. That class permanently put me off reading both the classics and any really long novel.

BBD

doof says that is mp for ap

go for depth at a pace the students can handle

palincss
01-26-2006, 11:16 AM
finishing Tristram Shandy, and have been doing so for over 20 years. It's a marvelous read so far: clever, innovative, funny. So why haven't I finished it?

As in Uncle Toby's description of where he was injured at war, I divert your attention elsewhere, whereupon I promise to continue to attempt to finish what is truly one of the great novels of the world.

Perhaps because you don't want it to be over.

Anyone expecting a conventional narrative will be very disappointed in Tristram Shandy. On the other hand, if you just roll with it, and let the novel take you wherever and whenever it wants to go, you might just find it to be one of the great classics, and centuries "ahead of its time".

RichMc
01-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Doof,

Does this mean that you are going to watch the movie now?

Dr. Doofus
01-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Doof,

Does this mean that you are going to watch the movie now?

yes

doof likes his concept -- making a movie about making a movie about a story trying to tell a story is a nice conceit...however...it also reflects a po-mo misreading of the novel....

oodf will see the movie after he kicks some britass

fiamme red
01-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Perhaps because you don't want it to be over.

Anyone expecting a conventional narrative will be very disappointed in Tristram Shandy. On the other hand, if you just roll with it, and let the novel take you wherever and whenever it wants to go, you might just find it to be one of the great classics, and centuries "ahead of its time".It's ahead of my time. I prefer "Sentimental Journey."

yeehawfactor
01-26-2006, 11:55 AM
i would call if it were diane rheem or perhaps fresh air. otherwise, probably not.