PDA

View Full Version : Tires for Joshua Tree?

mjbrekke
01-12-2014, 02:50 PM
I'm headed to Joshua Tree, CA in a couple of weeks for a week of sun away from the Minnesota winter we've all been enduring. I plan to grab the old Trek 620 touring bike I have stashed at my son's on the way there and then do some light road riding. The Trek needs new tires anyway, and though I intend to spend my time on the road rather than on trails, I'd really like to avoid flatting due to various desert spikey things. I called a bike shop there, and they said I should be fine with most any tire, but they also told me flats are to be expected.

The bike still has the original 27" wheels, which I don't want to change for the trip (I don't use the bike enough to warrant it, and there is always the potential problem of whether I can make the cantis line up properly). It looks like Schwalbe Marathon, Conti Gatorskin, Specialized Armadillo, and Panaracer Pasela Tourguard are all still available in 27 x 1 1/4. Weight is always an issue, of course, but I'm not going to be concerned too much with speed. More emphasis on just enjoying the scenery and moving my legs and lungs in the sun.

I've read a number of places that Mr Tuffy strips are a good idea, so I thought I'd install some. If I were planning to be on trails, I'd consider Slime, too, but that seems like overkill at yet additional weight penalty.

So, do any of you have any recommendations for or against any of those tires? Have I missed any options that I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Ken Robb
01-12-2014, 03:01 PM
I has been some years since I tried Armadillos. They must be very flat-resistant but they rode like they were solid rubber.
I have had very good luck with Paselas with and without Tourguard lining. I think they would work well for you and they cost relatively little.

blessthismess
01-12-2014, 03:20 PM
I use Gatrorskins on my commute/work bike, they work fine for me. Pretty puncture resistant and ride relativly smooth. I would recommend them over the Armadillos, haven't tried the Schwalbe or Panaracers befere, maybe someone else can shed some light on those.

cat6
01-12-2014, 03:23 PM
there's no weight penalty w/slime when you're talking about a 20 year old touring bike.

a couple of weeks ago some friends and i did a longish mixed terrain ride in the inland empire, not too too far from joshua tree (maybe an hour away). the night before i decided to add some stans to my tubes. i think there were 8 flats on the day, mostly all were goatheads...i had none. i was running soma c-line tires, which are made by panaracer and very similar to the tourguards. i ride tourguards on my town bike...smooth ride.

was it the stans? can't really say, but i think so...maybe...maybe? either way, i think you go with the panaracers, get tubes with removable cores and add some stans, bring 2 tubes and some patches just in case. enjoy your week in the desert.

stev0
01-12-2014, 03:35 PM
I was in Joshua Tree not long ago and the roads seem quite well kept and in good condition. From what I could tell, there are lots of cacti around, but not much road debris. I wouldn't worry about flats any more so than regular roads. I didn't see any bike trails, but the ones I walked had a lot of sand. Not sure if that's indicative of the surface on bike routes.

That being said.. the only "tough" tires I've used are the gatorskins, which worked fine for me at the time.

charliedid
01-12-2014, 03:54 PM
Any of those tires you mention will work just fine. I like a bit more tread on a touring bike so I'd go Schwalbe Marathon or Panaracer. GAtorskins will maybe run a little faster if you are just out and about riding and not doing any touring.

Have a great time.

Don49
01-12-2014, 04:03 PM
I've done overnight pannier tours in Joshua Tree, usually from the West Entrance to Cottonwood Campground and return. The paved roads are well maintained and usually pretty clean, never been off pavement though. I was riding on Performance brand kevlar belted tires, 700x28, $15ea, or something similar and have never flatted there. I would just take two spare tubes and a patch kit, no other precautions should be necessary.

false_Aest
01-12-2014, 11:02 PM
The roads in Joshua tree are fine.

I don't think I'd have a 2nd thought about riding Pro4s in JT. But now that I said that you should probably get Gator Skins.

GuyGadois
01-13-2014, 12:22 AM
Ditto, I've ridden in Joshua Tree a couple of times and the roads are great. I just road my normal Conti 4000s and had no problem. Bring water.

Mnm1945
01-13-2014, 08:30 AM
The roads in Joshua Tree are nicely paved and in good condition. There will be the occasional broken glass bottle of course.

p nut
01-14-2014, 12:21 AM
I would go Marathon's and Q-Tubes filled with Stans.

mike p
01-14-2014, 05:59 AM
Forget the bike and pack your climbing gear!

Mike

Saint Vitus
01-14-2014, 09:07 AM
Mind the fire conditions as well please...