PDA

View Full Version : Anyone riding a disc brake with Campy

Kane
01-26-2006, 02:47 AM
Anyone riding an Avid disc brake with Campy lever on the front end of their road bike. I have a Cross bike with cantilever brakes. My tendonitis has me interested in a front disc set up. Sadly my custom stainless steel fork does not have enough diameter on it for disc tabs. Quality has a Made in China by slaves'' steel cross fork.

Thanks,

Kane

ergott
01-26-2006, 06:44 AM
Anyone riding an Avid disc brake with Campy lever on the front end of their road bike. I have a Cross bike with cantilever brakes. My tendonitis has me interested in a front disc set up. Sadly my custom stainless steel fork does not have enough diameter on it for disc tabs. Quality has a Made in China by slaves'' steel cross fork.

Thanks,

Kane

I.M.H.O the Avid brake requires more hand strength for moderate braking. Of all the bikes I've ridden, the standard double pivot brake (Campy, Shimano etc.) with a clean aluminium rim is the strongest combo and the requires the least amount of hand strength. I had Avids on a cross bike and even upgraded the pads and rotors to nice fancy stuff and still had to yank on the levers when stopping. However, should you want to go this route anyway, it will work so long as you get the Avids meant for road levers.

DfCas
01-26-2006, 07:58 AM
I had a disc brake setup on a cross bike for a while using campy Ergo levers and Avid road discs. It worked quite well but note that it requires a very stiff/strong fork and a strong wheel.I had a Mavic Speedcity wheel and under heavy braking,the rim flexed 1/2 inch or more at the top toward the fork crown. I was afraid of that wheel and took it off.A heavier XT hub/touring rim wheel from my 29 mtb was fine.

Although the QBP/dimension fork is OK at $60,it weighs most of 3 pounds.You might want to consider the Nashbar badged Winwood/Sintema carbon fork at $150.Weighs about 750grams. Do use a 32 spoke or higher 3 cross wheel,14/15 spokes or heavier on the front.The traction available on the road can put a major strain on the front end since it loads it at the bottom of the fork leg.The up side is that I never had any fork chatter problems on bikes that were prone to that with rim brakes.

dan

Kane
01-27-2006, 01:47 AM
I can't use the Winwood because my steer tube is one inch. I have been checking the trail on my proposed setup and I'd end up with a 7cm trail. The rake is 4.5cm and my headtube angle is 71.5 degrees on a Lightspeed Blue Ridge. I was hoping to achieve a 6cm trail to keep the handling status quo.

My rim of choice was an Open Pro. Your comment on rim strength has opened my brain to the additional complexity of this project. I thinking of plan B which is to buy a different frame.

I had a disc brake setup on a cross bike for a while using campy Ergo levers and Avid road discs. It worked quite well but note that it requires a very stiff/strong fork and a strong wheel.I had a Mavic Speedcity wheel and under heavy braking,the rim flexed 1/2 inch or more at the top toward the fork crown. I was afraid of that wheel and took it off.A heavier XT hub/touring rim wheel from my 29 mtb was fine.

Although the QBP/dimension fork is OK at $60,it weighs most of 3 pounds.You might want to consider the Nashbar badged Winwood/Sintema carbon fork at $150.Weighs about 750grams. Do use a 32 spoke or higher 3 cross wheel,14/15 spokes or heavier on the front.The traction available on the road can put a major strain on the front end since it loads it at the bottom of the fork leg.The up side is that I never had any fork chatter problems on bikes that were prone to that with rim brakes.

dan

DfCas
01-28-2006, 07:50 AM
Nashbar offers that carbon fork in a 1 inch version,and I'm pretty sure that although the specs say it is a 45 mm rake,it is actually a 50.You could measure the front center with your current setup and then measure it again with the new fork.

An Open Pro would probably be OK.I think the flex was coming from the lightweight,cartridge bearing hubshell on the Speedcity wheelset.

I had that fork also and its pretty nice.

dan