PDA

View Full Version : Another episode of "Is this eBay thing junk?"

Netdewt
01-11-2014, 11:58 PM
I've got one down vote already, but what do you all think about using an eBay carbon derailleur clamp? It looks like it'd be pretty solid to me, but I'm sure it's made in China and I can't find reviews anywhere. 1/5 cost of Parlee, but looks an awful lot like it. Thoughts? Anyone tried it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMNI-Racer-WORLDs-LIGHTEST-FULL-Carbon-Derailleur-Adapter-Clamp-31-8-32mm-/300803382109?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4609475b5d

thirdgenbird
01-12-2014, 12:25 AM
I was meaning to tell you, these look a lot like the cutter carbon clamp. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same part. The cutter has poor reviews. Lots of comments about flexing and breaking.

velotrack
01-12-2014, 01:08 AM
It would be a major pain if it broke. A FD clamp is not where I'd be saving the weight.

Netdewt
01-12-2014, 01:47 AM
I was meaning to tell you, these look a lot like the cutter carbon clamp. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same part. The cutter has poor reviews. Lots of comments about flexing and breaking.

Ah... in reality I should just do whatever you say! Just trying to work through everything. I'm seriously stuck on this FD clamp and I should have already had this settled.

Sadly it's less about weight and more about how thin it is, and looks cool. I'd get the Parlee but it's just so expensive.

thirdgenbird
01-12-2014, 01:55 AM
Haha, you don't have to listen to my every word. I can be unreasonably partial and resistant to change.

I vote you get a decent alloy one for $20 or less. This will be a good way to get the bike rolling. If you decide you love the frame, then you can sorta justify splurging on some of these non functional upgrades. You won't loose much money on resale of an alloy clamp if you do decide to part with it.

I would feel comfortable trying the alloy omni clamp. It may not be quite as stiff as a Campagnolo or Shimano mount, but it's probably less likely to fail than a cheap carbon clamp. It is pretty thin too:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370525420039

ultraman6970
01-12-2014, 02:34 AM
Sincerely that seller would not be selling those if they were crap.

FlashUNC
01-12-2014, 06:52 AM
Frankly, it looks like crap.

I'd second thirdgen's recommendation. Get an alloy clamp and then go from there.

Mr.Bean
01-12-2014, 07:10 AM
All in favor of an alloy FD clamp say "I!".

oldpotatoe
01-12-2014, 07:17 AM
I've got one down vote already, but what do you all think about using an eBay carbon derailleur clamp? It looks like it'd be pretty solid to me, but I'm sure it's made in China and I can't find reviews anywhere. 1/5 cost of Parlee, but looks an awful lot like it. Thoughts? Anyone tried it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMNI-Racer-WORLDs-LIGHTEST-FULL-Carbon-Derailleur-Adapter-Clamp-31-8-32mm-/300803382109?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4609475b5d

I had 2 instances of a parlee clamp, on a parlee frame, be too big and slip soooooo, I'd say stay away from a fake-er-ello, type one.

Look, an aluminum clamp adapter is heavier than a carbon one but it isn't 'heavy'...

I should mention..if it's for a EPS or Di2 system, stay away..stiff front der clamps are a must.

fuzzalow
01-12-2014, 07:52 AM
I vote that if this clamp is in any way intriguing to you then you should buy one and give it a go. It is not a lot of money to gamble with and as long as it doesn't break, which conceivably it might, and put you in a ditch then why not?

Weight has never been a factor for anything I have bought in cycling equipment. Even my dolt-headed experiment with Zero Gravity brake calipers was driven by interest with supporting a boutique domestic supplier and not zero gravity weight bike parts. Fool me once - shame on you; fool me twice - shame on me. I'll not stray off the Campagnolo reservation again. The point being that if you are chasing light weight, that's the oldest seduction in the book.

For $20 bucks, if you like the look of the FD carbon clamp, that's reason good enough for me.

Zoodles
01-12-2014, 09:39 AM
who needs a FD, keep it in the big ring!

It's probably not worth it saving a miniscule number of grams for the frustration.

bobswire
01-12-2014, 09:46 AM
I've used Omni metal ones and like them also I've purchased other accessories from that seller who has good feedback.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMNI-Front-Derailleur-Adapter-Clamp-Campagnolo-Record-Chorus-Centaur-BLACK28-6mm-/221311415333?pt=US_Derailleurs_Front&hash=item3387303425

Steve in SLO
01-12-2014, 10:48 AM
It does look cool, but any derailleur clamp that can be stretched over a downtube without using a hinge is by definition not a stiff clamp

Netdewt
01-12-2014, 08:59 PM
Thanks all - finally found enough to buy at PBK and got the right Campy clamp (hopefully) for $14. Carbon might have looked cool, but I'll stick with dependable for now. I appreciate the responses.