PDA

View Full Version : Chain length help

Nags&Ducs
01-11-2014, 09:17 PM
Proper chain length according to Campy: 8 to 15 mm distance between the chain at the top pulley and bottom chain line. The problem I'm encountering is that I can't get the recommended distance on a CX frame with compact cranks. If I use the full length of the Chorus 11 chain, I get about 5 mm. If I take out just one link, I get about 20 mm. So which is the better way to go? A tad shorter or a tad longer?

I'm running a compact 50/34 and 12/25 cassette.

Thanks is for any help!

GuyGadois
01-11-2014, 09:24 PM
What size RD are you using? A longer cage should allow for a slightly longer chain, right?

GG

ultraman6970
01-11-2014, 09:31 PM
What do you get using small /small ???

Nags&Ducs
01-11-2014, 09:32 PM
What size RD are you using? A longer cage should allow for a slightly longer chain, right?

GG

Short cage chorus 11. I didn't think it matters though for determining proper chain length. The distance between the two points should be 8-15 mm according to campy's instruction.

GuyGadois
01-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Did you try Sheldon Brown's way for measuring chain length. That's the one I use.

Nags&Ducs
01-11-2014, 09:36 PM
What do you get using small /small ???

That's where it's at- small small, then you're supposed to measure distance between the bottom of the chain at the top pulley and the top of the chain at the bottom chain line. I can't get it within the recommended distances.

Nags&Ducs
01-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Did you try Sheldon Brown's way for measuring chain length. That's the one I use.

I have not. Thanks for the tip, will check into SB.

ultraman6970
01-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Can you post a picture?? for the record it is just a recomended distance, not that the thing will stop working if its off a few mm you know.

That's where it's at- small small, then you're supposed to measure distance between the bottom of the chain at the top pulley and the top of the chain at the bottom chain line. I can't get it within the recommended distances.

thwart
01-11-2014, 11:13 PM
As long as there is chain tension in small/small you should do OK. You're likely not going to ride in that combo anyway.

So... I'd go with the 5mm gap/longer chain option.

But---suspect the aged spud will chime in here for the 'expert's view'.

ultraman6970
01-12-2014, 01:21 AM
+1

Ralph
01-12-2014, 05:35 AM
If it will wrap big to big.......for cross racing/riding (chain slapping around), I would go with the shorter length. Make big to big fairly tight....helps not throw a chain.

For road riding, would probably go with the longer length....just in case I wanted to run a larger cog cassette at some time.

I understand the measurement you describe.

oldpotatoe
01-12-2014, 07:25 AM
Proper chain length according to Campy: 8 to 15 mm distance between the chain at the top pulley and bottom chain line. The problem I'm encountering is that I can't get the recommended distance on a CX frame with compact cranks. If I use the full length of the Chorus 11 chain, I get about 5 mm. If I take out just one link, I get about 20 mm. So which is the better way to go? A tad shorter or a tad longer?

I'm running a compact 50/34 and 12/25 cassette.

Thanks is for any help!

First, use a quick link..do it long, see if in small ring and biggest cog, the pulley drags on the biggest cog..if it does, even with b limit all the way in, take out a link.