PDA

View Full Version : Used Legend Ti

CDollarsign
01-11-2014, 09:14 AM
I have been eyeing this frame for some time :http://www.ebay.com/itm/271313826652?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

What are some things to look out for on older Ti frames? Can anyone date this?

I am concerned about the damage to the fork, although it does not really seem severe. There is some funky stuff in the BB shell as well, seeing as Ti doesn't corrode I am not sure what it is. I am also not sure if that is a deal or a inflated price...

Opinions?

Seramount
01-11-2014, 09:26 AM
I have an F1 fork with similar paint damage from tire rub (not quite as bad as yours tho) and have had no issues in 20K miles.

but, considering condition, price seems a little steep to me.

Ahneida Ride
01-11-2014, 09:27 AM
It has an F1 fork, so it is pre 2003

My guess is 2000-2002

There are NO RETURNS on this bike ....

I'd pass .... price looks high too. 1450 frn ? Hmmmmm....

BB is dirty .... Why did seller not clean it ? This makes me a bit nervous.

It has a head tube badge .... so now I am guessing earlier .... may be late 90's ??????

My 2001 Legend Ti had no head tube badge.

So bike is at least 10 years old and maybe 15 ....

( my 12 year old Legend ride as good as New) the real issue is has the bike been abused ?

The no return policy makes me nervous.

weisan
01-11-2014, 09:27 AM
asking too much, pass...

thwart
01-11-2014, 09:30 AM
inflated price…?This.

… given what used Ti frames have been going for, anyway...

And this is way more than a scuff, but I suspect the fork is still structurally OK.

buldogge
01-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Pass…You can find a 2003+ with 1 1/8 HT and O2 or S3 fork for the same price, for sure.

Put a WTB in the classifieds…lots of members here with Legends, something might be available.

-Mark in St. Louis

biker72
01-11-2014, 10:44 AM
Ride shouldn't be a problem but the price seems a little high.
I sold my Serotta Custom Ti frame, F1 fork and gruppo, no wheels, for $1300.
Dirty BB seems a little strange.

mike p
01-11-2014, 11:49 AM
I think frame fork and bb are all ok, I'd pass just cause it's to expensive for what it is. That's a 500.00 - 1000.00 frameset.

Mike

Ken Robb
01-11-2014, 12:30 PM
I guess this is one of the last made with F1 1" fork/headset because it has the newer rear dropouts. It's a rare stock size so you may wait a ong time to have a shot at another. F1 forks are notorious for limited clearance between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fork so SOME rubbing is very common. This gouge could have been done on one ride where a fatter tire was fitted for a ride on unpaved roads.

My Legend had 1" O2 fork which was the Serotta version of Ouzo Pro and it was a wonderful ride. You may be able to find something like that as a substitute for the F1.

Can't you make an offer for less on a BIN listing or does it have to invite you to do so?

krhea
01-11-2014, 12:41 PM
You have a difficult decision which is understandable, you need a BIG frame and they don't come around that often, especially large ti frame and even more so if you're looking specifically for a Serotta Legend Ti, however, in today's used bike/frame market there are some amazing deals to be had IF you have the time and patience.
$1500 is way high for that frame if it were a 54 to 58 let's say, but if you're outside the "norm" of sizing and 63s are hard to find then maybe, just maybe it isn't overpriced for what could be considered a rare or hard to find size. Factor in the condition and send the seller a direct email through Ebay with an offer. All he can say is no. If it's been listed repeatedly then he may want to move it.

giverdada
01-11-2014, 12:47 PM
steep price, but as mentioned above, hard to find one in that size so i guess the demand allows for higher asking price, backed up by rarity.

it looks like newer than 2000-2001ish, as mine just said "Ti" on it (no "Legend"), and the dropouts are cut out. mine had bullet ends on the stays, and was the most beautiful and wonderful frame to ride ever. very whippy, but all-day comfortable and easy to maintain without any paint or (eventually removed) decals.

then it cracked.

the massive colorado concept tubing down at the BB on the seat tube cracked about a 1/3 of the way around the tube. i had it fixed by matt chester and continued to ride it hard, then we were rear-ended on the highway with the bikes on the rack and now i'm saving it, dents and all, to make a chandelier over the walnut table i'm working on. projects...

R3awak3n
01-11-2014, 12:48 PM
It's eBay, there is always a return policy I believe. You can't return it if you don't like it but if it's not as described you can I am pretty sure of that.

Ken Robb
01-11-2014, 01:56 PM
he writes 63 c-t which suggests it is a stock 60cm frame.

Pete Mckeon
01-11-2014, 03:03 PM
but serial # on BB should tell you the size

THe fork is limited to about a true 24mm tire. (And that is what I think resulted in a larger/wider tire used with fork.

It is an 1" ht and fork which was that era/

Aneida Ride did a conversion years back and still has a smile on one like this!

in my view 1000 is most I would suggest if you love it/

More like a fair price on east coast is $800 with HS, Seat clamp accessory. Just my view/

For 1400 I would sell mine but it is too small.

K Bedford could make it look new and even put an updated 1 and 1/8 fork on

He might have even been the builder then and if not at least the deigned

lastly the frame even has a slight ht extension. THat legend ti frame was definitely butted in that size also.
Pete

he writes 63 c-t which suggests it is a stock 60cm frame.

ckamp
01-12-2014, 12:09 AM
I have seen this one too. Too expensive. But nice!

Try to PM a reasonable offer, sometimes that works.

victim
01-12-2014, 05:50 AM
This bike is worth no more than 50% of the asking price. Pass

CDollarsign
01-12-2014, 06:30 AM
What luxuries would I be missing with a frame this old? Tapered head tube? I can't think of much unless they became more aggressive with butting, which I'm not that much concerned.

I'm going to try to send a offer, most likely the seller will think its a outrageous low ball...

weisan
01-12-2014, 07:02 AM
I'm going to try to send a offer, most likely the seller will think its a outrageous low ball...

Not necessarily. Some people put an unrealistic price tag on...and they know it, just trying their luck to see if someone would take the bait.

What are you thinking of offering?:)

rwsaunders
01-12-2014, 07:05 AM
CDollar...check your pm.

CDollarsign
01-13-2014, 09:26 AM
Are there any drawbacks to riding a 13 year old Ti frame? Any major technological updates from since then?

Ahneida Ride
01-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Are there any drawbacks to riding a 13 year old Ti frame? Any major technological updates from since then?

as long at the frame is in good condition, almost nothing

Ken Robb
01-13-2014, 10:28 AM
I think Serotta was a leader as far as butting/shaping ti tubes for bicycles so the frames could be finely "tuned". It may have been more a theoretical/laboratory benefit than something felt on the road but--------my stock 60cm Legend was a wonderful ride. I don't know that any ti bikes built these days have such sophisticated tubing available so an older Legend that fits is probably as good a ti bike as you can ride.

Saint Vitus
01-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Are there any drawbacks to riding a 13 year old Ti frame?

None, but that fork on the other hand...

cmg
01-20-2014, 12:04 PM
so did you buy? even if you bought it, sent it to the new saratoga frameworks shop and change the headtube to 1 1/8" buy a new fork, it will still be cheaper than a new custom ti frame. anyway saw this one on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/59cm-Litespeed-Arenberg-Titanium-Road-Frame-Factory-Full-Carbon-Fork-/111181335212?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item19e2ec8aac

bfd
01-20-2014, 12:13 PM
None, but that fork on the other hand...

What's wrong with the fork? If it is because the fork's steerer tube is 1", buy a new one like the Columbus Minimal and ride! I did just that. I found the 1" Columbus Minimal fork to be excellent - fairly lightweight at about 325g; well made and at about $220 UK retailer/$300 LBS, its reasonably priced!

Moreover, it is a fairly stiff fork and very comparable to my old steel steerer tube Kestrel EMS fork! Good Luck! :banana::eek::butt::bike:

Ken Robb
01-20-2014, 12:46 PM
so did you buy? even if you bought it, sent it to the new saratoga frameworks shop and change the headtube to 1 1/8" buy a new fork, it will still be cheaper than a new custom ti frame. anyway saw this one on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/59cm-Litespeed-Arenberg-Titanium-Road-Frame-Factory-Full-Carbon-Fork-/111181335212?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item19e2ec8aac

As I recall the Arenberg was the cheapest Litespeed in the line so this seems rather pricey to me. OTOH I had a Litespeed Natchez that was a middle-of-the-line model that was a decent bike but NOT in the same league as my Legend ti or my ti Strada Bianca.

znfdl
01-20-2014, 01:32 PM
I bought my son a (similar vintage) Legend Ti built with Shimano 105 for $1K

Saint Vitus
01-20-2014, 06:37 PM
What's wrong with the fork? If it is because the fork's steerer tube is 1", buy a new one like the Columbus Minimal and ride! I did just that. I found the 1" Columbus Minimal fork to be excellent - fairly lightweight at about 325g; well made and at about $220 UK retailer/$300 LBS, its reasonably priced!

Moreover, it is a fairly stiff fork and very comparable to my old steel steerer tube Kestrel EMS fork! Good Luck! :banana::eek::butt::bike:

No, the size factors nothing into my comment, the wear and possible damage does. Yes, a good 1" CF fork can be found cheap enough, been there done that (Legend Ti no less).

CDollarsign
01-21-2014, 06:27 AM
I did not buy, I have sent the seller several messages with no response. I assume this guy just wants people to blindly hit the 'buy it now' option....

so did you buy? even if you bought it, sent it to the new saratoga frameworks shop and change the headtube to 1 1/8" buy a new fork, it will still be cheaper than a new custom ti frame. anyway saw this one on ebay.

djg
01-21-2014, 08:51 AM

No, there are not necessarily any drawbacks to riding the frame itself (independent of the fork). I don't know this particular frame, apart from the pictures. Any particular frame can have a problem, or not, but I wouldn't expect the frame itself to develop problems just from being ridden or -- under the paint -- to "wear out." With a Legend Ti custom -- and stock too -- there's the question whether it really fits you but Legends generally were using Ti alloys then that other builders are using now, and at least as much butting and shaping. A 1" head tube on a Legend shouldn't be an issue, except insofar as it restricts your choice of replacement headsets and forks, which it does.

I've no idea whether the fork shows structural damage or not, but that's not just scuffing of the paint or a carbon clear coat, that's into the fork itself. Based on the picture, I'd be at least a little wary of the fork (and, personally, would want a fork with decent clearance for a 25c tire, even if I'm often choosing a 22 or 23).

A high quality new Ti frame will cost more, yes? Used ones of that age tend to go for less -- maybe a bunch less -- but it might be hard to find one in your size. So what's it worth if you have to toss the fork? What's it worth TO YOU? I like the idea of inquiring about a lower bid -- don't know how that will go at all, although I wouldn't expect a flood of offers above 1400.

ERGOPOWER
01-21-2014, 09:49 AM
The seller may be willing to add a MAKE OFFER button I the listing. It's worth a try.