PDA

View Full Version : Backroads of Central CA?

ais99spoke
01-10-2014, 08:33 PM
I'm putting together a few days spin south from the Bay Area > San Luis Obispo.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3890520

I've been mining RWGPS/mapmyride for roads - but a few are just guesses. Any locals that can offer insights? Of particular concern would be:

Any of these roads closed/private/dirt trail?
Any of them primary freight/transportation corridors with obviously better options?

I'm most uncertain about the connection between Fort Hunter Liggett and Hearst Castle... Anyone ridden that stretch?

Thanks!

downtube
01-10-2014, 09:19 PM

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3890520

I've been mining RWGPS/mapmyride for roads - but a few are just guesses. Any locals that can offer insights? Of particular concern would be:

Any of these roads closed/private/dirt trail?
Any of them primary freight/transportation corridors with obviously better options?

I'm most uncertain about the connection between Fort Hunter Liggett and Hearst Castle... Anyone ridden that stretch?

Thanks!

We have ridden from Carmel to Hearst Castle down highway 1. It is a beautiful ride, not a ton of services you need to be fairly self contained.
That looks like a fun ride you have planned.
There are a lot of back roads in the SLO area once you arrive at your destination.
chuck

Ken Robb
01-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Not to knock SLO but Cambria is a charming small town with several excellent restaurants and very bike-friendly so if you can spend a day or two there I recommend it.

edl
01-11-2014, 10:32 PM

Thanks!

I don't know if this is helpful, but I've done the ALC ride a few times. In the area you're asking about, the ALC ride leaves King City via Jolon Rd, then 101S to Bradley Rd, then River Rd into Paso Robles. From there take 46 West to Harmony, then down the Coast into Morro Bay. In that area Jolon Road, 46 West, and 1 into Cambria and Morro Bay are nice. Have fun.

Steve in SLO
01-11-2014, 10:57 PM
I have ridden the stretch in question, and you will be crossing and army installation. You need to have an ID with you. Might call ahead to find out if anything else is needed to ride across Fort Hunter Liggett. At times the base is closed when they have maneuvers. The road gently winds along then ascends along a creek canyon to the top of the mountains along the coast. It then drops down a very windy, steep and poorly paved descent for a number of miles – I am thinking 4-6ish, then drops you onto Highway 1.

Steve in SLO
01-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Another thing to add: Highway 1 N. of Cambria has been resurfaced with a very rough mix of chipseal, which local cyclists have been complaining about. There are some excellent roads paralleling Highway 101 that would make for a good journey. I would almost opt for that way rather than the coast.

ais99spoke
01-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Excellent - Thanks Steve for the specifics. I was assuming as much about the area surrounding the base, but good to hear from someone who's hit that stretch.

The ALC route info looked interesting as well - but looks like it diverts a bit more than I intend to.