PDA

View Full Version : Chamois...

Catulle
01-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Which do you consider the best riding shorts presently available? Chamois vs synthetic? Purpose of the shorts: prolonged rides. Thank you kindly.

jerk
01-25-2006, 07:02 PM
it's really personal. but the jerk's favorites are the giordana tenax lazer bibs...lots of muscle compression and the t-select of chamois is great....if you want something for less strenuous longer efforts, the bocy clone would get the nod from the jerk. less compression, the cut is really nice and low and it feels like you're not wearing anything. "elite gel omniform" is the chamois in the forma bodyclone shorts and it is also excellent.

the jerk would urge the use of the tenax lazer for racing and hard short efforts and the bodyclone for long sustained stuff like training and long road stages.... the muslce compression really is tight, it really works but it's not as "comfy" as the body clone stuff; which also does incorporate compression just to a lesser degree. naturally it all comes down to personal preference. some folks love the assos shorts but the jerk can't stand the chamois.

plus- the tenax lazer comes in white and white is pro.
jerk

dave thompson
01-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Which do you consider the best riding shorts presently available? Chamois vs synthetic? Purpose of the shorts: prolonged rides. Thank you kindly.
I don't think the 'comfort' factor is in what the chamois is made of, it's like saddles; very individual. Shorts that fit correctly and proper use of good chamois creme seem to be the key for me. The Castelli shorts that have the YPro3 chamois and (damned they're expensive, but oh so good!) Assos with the F1 Mille insert work best for my long rides.

SoCalSteve
01-25-2006, 07:31 PM
I don't think the 'comfort' factor is in what the chamois is made of, it's like saddles; very individual. Shorts that fit correctly and proper use of good chamois creme seem to be the key for me. The Castelli shorts that have the YPro3 chamois and (damned they're expensive, but oh so good!) Assos with the F1 Mille insert work best for my long rides.

I'll second that on the Assos...wouldnt catch me doing a Century in anything else....

Now, if I could only find a place where they sell them at a discount!

Steve

dave thompson
01-25-2006, 07:34 PM
I'll second that on the Assos...wouldnt catch me doing a Century in anything else....

Steve
critUSA@aol.com has them on occasion. Danny's a good guy.

pdxmech13
01-25-2006, 07:40 PM
I had the Assos f-1 and was really excited but they came up short.
the fit and finish were good but found that a size large were even
a little "snug". Not sure why the never really warmed up to me but I guess with the price I maybe expected to much.
I have pearls,castelli's,exteondo,nalini team, and
a pair of demarchi. The more I ride the more I prefer a chamois
and short that are simple and not to techy.

Dr. Doofus
01-25-2006, 08:27 PM
giordana tenax

but doof has a perverse appreciation for descente stuff...after taking a golf-ball-sized divot out of his hip on chip seal, and the shorts don't have a scratch.

wasfast
01-26-2006, 11:07 AM

Steve

www.totalcycling.com

sspielman
01-26-2006, 11:47 AM
The Nalini chamois is my favorite by a WIDE margin. It simulates a natural chamois very well in that it holdschamois cream and is excellent at minimizing friction. It also excels where many other synthetics fail-in the rain. There is a type of Coolmax that feels like sandpaper to my nether regions....

lnomalley
01-26-2006, 01:10 PM
exte ondo by a mile. (a certain ginger haired german is reported to have these chamios' sewn into his shorts)..... pure wood.