PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on White Industries Eno Eccentric hub?

Climb01742
01-10-2014, 01:33 PM
How well do Eno hubs work? Are they at all finicky? Do they result in a clean chain line? All in all, are they a good way to go SS on a road frame? Thanks.

JimmyTango
01-10-2014, 01:38 PM
I raced SSCX this season with one. Beat it up as best I could and it worked wonderfully through all of it.

Highly recommended!

oldpotatoe
01-10-2014, 01:42 PM
How well do Eno hubs work? Are they at all finicky? Do they result in a clean chain line? All in all, are they a good way to go SS on a road frame? Thanks.

Well
No
Yes
Best choice there is, IMHO.

dgaddis1
01-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Haven't used them myself, but have heard good things. A tensioner is a good way to experiment with SS for minimum $$, but the ENO is the best long term setup for a bike not designed for SS use.

christian
01-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Well
No
Yes
Best choice there is, IMHO.

This. Simple as pie. I had mine on a SSCX bike and now on a fixed-gear trainer bike on the road.

john903
01-10-2014, 01:51 PM
Mine is the older one with for a threaded cog and or a freewheel and I have had it 4 years at least laced 32x3 cross to an open pro rim. I haven't had to touch it except to clean the outside. This wheel is on my fixed gear single speed bike and is ridden basically all year in rain, fire roads, everything. It is exactly what I wanted, build a strong wheel with reliable parts and forget about it.
I do not know about the newer style splines, but I imagine they are great as well.
Have a great day.

Nooch
01-10-2014, 01:52 PM
haven't yet found a fixed cog for mine (or rather, haven't ordered one), but i'm waiting to swap my cx bike over to single/fixed -- i expect it to work well :)

YoKev
01-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Ran an eno disc hub for a while. The ecentric mount for the brake required some filing on the lobes to make it operate as intended. The ecentric lobes were not finished nicely. The set screws are a pain to access, and can loosen up over time. If I did the singlespeed thing again, I'd run a regular eno hub on a non-disc frame.

The hub was beautiful however, and, so are the cranks.

01-10-2014, 02:03 PM
The hub itself is great, just like all White hubs. The ENO mechanism can be a little of a hassle at times -- depending on the frame and whether there's crud worked into the ends of the hub, it sometimes doesn't like to move into position properly and you can find yourself fighting it in the rain and cold for ten minutes before it drops in place. If you keep it clean and sprayed with a little lubricant, and test drive it a few times on the bike stand to be sure the stay-ends don't give you any complications, you'll be happy with it. That said, track nuts do just as well and if you're used to sliding a track hub back and forth and locking it down when the chain tension is right, the fact that the stay ends point the other way is irrelevant -- it works just fine as well. I used ENOs for a while, then just went to a Phil hub with the right spacing and it's been perfect.

thirdgenbird
01-10-2014, 02:43 PM
I liked mine. The chain line is different on the fixed side and the and the freewheel side.

I still have the hub, but now with standard end caps. I've got a chose frame with semi horizontal dropouts. This works even better. You can adjust chain tension without brake adjustments.

foon
01-10-2014, 04:11 PM
Looks good, spin smooth, setting chain tension is easy, can't think of anything else I'd want from a hub.

You can flip the splined cog on the newer hubs for I think ~42/47mm chain line. The chain line on fixed/free side can be the same depending on the fixed cog orientation. Cogs are pricy but works well and durable.

Cat3roadracer
01-10-2014, 04:16 PM
Nicely machined too.

thirdgenbird
01-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Looks good, spin smooth, setting chain tension is easy, can't think of anything else I'd want from a hub.

You can flip the splined cog on the newer hubs for I think ~42/47mm chain line. The chain line on fixed/free side can be the same depending on the fixed cog orientation. Cogs are pricy but works well and durable.

I forgot about flipping the cog, it has been a while.

I've got mine set up so the freewheel lines up with the outer ring and the fixed side lines up with the inner ring, or at least close enough. This setup lets me run a 42x16 fixed setup for road riding and a 39x18 freewheel setup for off-road riding on the same bike with the same chain length. I can flip the wheel around with no other setup or adjustment. It looks a little odd having the bigger ring to the inside, but it works.

It is sort of a "dingle flop" for lack of a better term:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/sscx/DSC01136.jpg

I kept the eccentric axel and end caps and may actually put it back in. This frame may get gears and my spare road frame with vertical dropouts may get these components.

TimD
01-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Of the solutions available for adjusting chain tension on a frame with vertical dropouts and no ability to accept an eccentric BB, it probably represents the best solution.

Arriving at a happy relationship between rotary position (dropout engagement), chain tension, brake bridge clearance, and rear caliper brake pad / rim sidewall alignment can be difficult.

Nags&Ducs
01-10-2014, 06:19 PM
Looks like you can find a used set on CL for about 2 bills. What are they running at shops new?

pbarry
01-10-2014, 09:41 PM
Great product. WI could ask more for them and they'd be worth it. Used they are a bargain--most not ridden far cause the fixie thing wears thin for most.

don'TreadOnMe
01-10-2014, 10:23 PM
My ENO has been literally all over the world, in the worst conditions imaginable. Other parts have broken, and it's to be expected to be honest, but never the ENO.
Great product. Consider it a completely brainless purchase.

Bruce K
01-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Nothing to add that hasn't already been said except another positive experience

BK

roydyates
01-10-2014, 10:27 PM
My experience was that getting it set up right the first time was not completely trivial. After you find the rotation that takes up the slack in the chain, there is a chance your brakes may no longer reach the rim. IIRC, I had to swap in a longer reach brake.

01-11-2014, 03:51 AM
My experience was that getting it set up right the first time was not completely trivial. After you find the rotation that takes up the slack in the chain, there is a chance your brakes may no longer reach the rim. IIRC, I had to swap in a longer reach brake.

This is also a problem with any fixie with a rear brake. As the wheel slides forwards or backwards, it moves out of adjustment with the rear brake pads. The ENO doesn't create all that much range of motion, so if you have that much you probably could take out a link. Fixies of any kind aren't the easiest proposition for rear brakes. By and large, if you're on a fixed cog in the rear anyway, dispense with the rear brake and just use a good front one plus the fixed cog on the rear.

pcxmbfj
01-11-2014, 03:54 AM

Same for me but when you can't find the "magic gearing" it is the next most eloquent solution.