PDA

View Full Version : Saint RD M810 for cyclocross

muchness
01-10-2014, 12:39 PM
I just swapped a rapid rise M950 XTR rear derailleur for a 5700 piece, in anticipation of having another Shimano brifter'd bike, and not wanting to be incessantly shifting both in the wrong direction.

The XTR was running quite nicely with 5700 shifters, despite age and a reasonable bit of bashing.

The RD 5700-after two days-leaves me wondering if a better changer out back might make me happier.

Things are working properly, cable friction is at an all time low. I know the return spring on the new RD isn't the strongest ever used.

Has anyone run a 9 speed Saint or medium cage XT shadow-type rig on a trail happy CX machine? Happiness? Not so slappy?

01-10-2014, 02:05 PM
I've seen the Saint rear derailleur used a few times on cross bikes, but always with mountain bars and mountain shifters. I'm curious too. Any way to do it with road shifters? The current Saint has a great clutch and very low profile -- it's a dynamite cross derailleur if we can shift it properly.

oldpotatoe
01-10-2014, 02:22 PM
I've seen the Saint rear derailleur used a few times on cross bikes, but always with mountain bars and mountain shifters. I'm curious too. Any way to do it with road shifters? The current Saint has a great clutch and very low profile -- it's a dynamite cross derailleur if we can shift it properly.

As long as it's a 9s one, it will work fine.

muchness
01-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Indeed. The M810 falls between the M800, 9-speed with thru-axle mount and the M820 dynasys.

They are not plentiful or cheap, but the intended withstanding of brutality makes them seem pretty cool.

ais99spoke
01-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Before you buy the spendy new Der - see if you get the benefits you want from switching your spring from the standard spring tension to High tension. I did this with my ultegra RD. Made a huge difference.

Some instrux below may be helpful. Steps 3-8 are the relevant ones in the Shimano section.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-overhaul

that said, yep - 9sp mountain rear derailleur is cross compatible with most all road shimano shifters.