PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 500 Trouble

SkyRider
01-10-2014, 09:59 AM
The background: I received a Garmin 500 for Christmas and quickly went about changing all my bikes of paver from a older Cycleops Joule 2.0.

The issue: at first glance everything looked to be paired and working, however as I started using the system I realized the speed sensors ( on is an older cyclops speed or cadence, one is a brand new powertap combined speed and cadence) were not displaying data. I have tried swapping wheel magnets, repositions the sensor, changing batteries, swapping sensors and resetting/repairing the Garmin. In short I am out of ideas.

My question: Has anyone run into this before and if so what did you do to fix it?

Thanks in advance
Jesse

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nooch
01-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Sky,

I don't have my unit handy -- but are you sure that the you have the unit set to find speed/cadence sensors? Is there a blinking crank at the top of the screen?

If memory serves me -- go into settings, bike settings, ant+ speed/cadence -- it should tell you whether or not it's trying to find something (will say no or off or something like that, or if it's searching the crank will be blinking at the top, and it should have sensor information (or lack there of) on this screen. Here you'll also have the option of whether it's looking for a combined unit or a speed unit or cadence unit..

Hope that helps!

SkyRider
01-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Sky,

I don't have my unit handy -- but are you sure that the you have the unit set to find speed/cadence sensors? Is there a blinking crank at the top of the screen?

If memory serves me -- go into settings, bike settings, ant+ speed/cadence -- it should tell you whether or not it's trying to find something (will say no or off or something like that, or if it's searching the crank will be blinking at the top, and it should have sensor information (or lack there of) on this screen. Here you'll also have the option of whether it's looking for a combined unit or a speed unit or cadence unit..

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the tip. Just recheck my head unit. Settings are correct. It's reading cadence fine, just not getting speed.

j_roe
01-10-2014, 11:12 AM
turn off GPS on unit then turn back on.

SkyRider
01-10-2014, 11:13 AM
turn off GPS on unit then turn back on.

I'll try that. Thanks.

j_roe
01-10-2014, 11:35 AM
I think i've had that happen to me but after restarting the gps on the unit its seemed to fix it. I'm interested to see if that will solve your issue

SkyRider
01-14-2014, 10:32 AM
I think i've had that happen to me but after restarting the gps on the unit its seemed to fix it. I'm interested to see if that will solve your issue

That plus yet another magnet change seems to have cured my garmin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

bloody sunday
01-14-2014, 10:46 AM
I have heard of so many problems with the 500. I have the 200, and it's all GPS, no sensors or magnets, why doesn't the 500 do this? Seems like a hassle, and you get to spend more money for it.

SkyRider
01-14-2014, 10:48 AM
I have heard of so many problems with the 500. I have the 200, and it's all GPS, no sensors or magnets, why doesn't the 500 do this? Seems like a hassle, and you get to spend more money for it.

No sensors means no power numbers or cadence or heart rate. I think I would rather have the hassle for better data. But that's just me.

false_Aest
01-14-2014, 11:07 AM
I do not mean to be snarky when I type this, please don't take it that way.

Garmin has a forum and decent phone tech support.

I've had a few issues with my 510. 1 or 2 were solved by a Garmin forum search, the other was solved by tech support.

That said, there are a bunch of complaints published about clueless tech support people so take what they (and I) say with a grain of salt.

SkyRider
01-14-2014, 11:10 AM
I do not mean to be snarky when I type this, please don't take it that way.

Garmin has a forum and decent phone tech support.

I've had a few issues with my 510. 1 or 2 were solved by a Garmin forum search, the other was solved by tech support.

That said, there are a bunch of complaints published about clueless tech support people so take what they (and I) say with a grain of salt.

Agreed. There support could be better. It's never good to hear the guy on the other end who is supposed to be the expert say he has never seen/heard of a problem. That's why I posted my issue here. We may not all be experts but it seems the pace line is full of some damn good problem solvers.

deechee
01-14-2014, 02:52 PM
For my cadence sensor I had to make sure to change the type from cadence+speed sensor to cadence only. Maybe you need to do the reverse?

bloody sunday
01-15-2014, 10:25 AM
No sensors means no power numbers or cadence or heart rate. I think I would rather have the hassle for better data. But that's just me.

Ahh, I see.

Well, for me, the 200 is more than enough :banana: