PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Edge Touring

majorpat
01-10-2014, 08:39 AM
Anyone have experience with this new GPS? More for navigation, I'm not interested in the power/HR etc in the higher priced models. Any feedback welcome, thanks.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/sports/cycling/edge-touring/prod134596.html

Pat

druptight
01-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Anyone have experience with this new GPS? More for navigation, I'm not interested in the power/HR etc in the higher priced models. Any feedback welcome, thanks.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/sports/cycling/edge-touring/prod134596.html

Pat

Just read this review about this yesterday:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/08/garmin-touring-computer.html

I've got no firsthand experience, but the fact that it's not even capable of doing speed/cadence using a sensor makes this one a tough buy for me. I don't do HR or Power either, but if you ever want to use it on a trainer, the speed/cadence is sort of a necessity.

benb
01-10-2014, 09:33 AM
This seems like a good option to use with a cycle-computer for a lower cost mapping/nav capable option.

I use an eTrex model on the handlebars occasionally for the same type of purpose. This might work a little better.

I don't want to pay for all the training stuff as it brings with it an added time burden to actually do something useful with all that data, and I certainly don't want to buy a model that tracks performance data but can't be used for navigation.

I didn't see in the review what the battery setup was.. for actual touring an AA setup like in stuff like the eTrex might be superior as a tourist won't necessarily always have easy access to power to recharge a battery.

The price is a lot better on this, IMO a lot of garmin's stuff is way overpriced for the quality level it is at.

staggerwing
01-10-2014, 09:53 AM
Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like it has most of what I need.

From what I see, it does have speed, as evaluated by GPS, and even heart rate, if buying the plus model, but not cadence.

For a trainer, would it not make more sense to just have a simple wired computer? GPS unit wouldn't even output speed in a stationary situation, no?

fiataccompli
01-10-2014, 10:04 AM
That's not a bad device if it has some logic in chosing routes. In the first year of ownership of my Edge 705, I gave up on it's routing because it would guide me to roads that were the worst for cycling when semi-parallel options w/ less traffic were available. Granted, that could have been simply a function of me "not doing it right"

Lanterne Rouge
01-10-2014, 10:13 AM
I saw that in Cyling Plus (a UK periodical) that I picked up last week. There is a full review in next months edition.

I'm more interested in mapping/gps rather the performance (I don't need $500 worth of tech to tell me I'm slow and terrible). Looking forward to checking it out.

druptight
01-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like it has most of what I need.

From what I see, it does have speed, as evaluated by GPS, and even heart rate, if buying the plus model, but not cadence.

For a trainer, would it not make more sense to just have a simple wired computer? GPS unit wouldn't even output speed in a stationary situation, no?

My edge 500 on the trainer tracks speed/cadence using the sensor on the rear wheel. I also don't need a computer to tell me what a horrible, slow cyclist I am - I just like to know my current cadence/speed. If this thing was compatible with the speed cadence sensor, it would be a no brainer for me. It's sort of stupid that it's not - it's already ant+ compatible for the heart strap. All it needs to do is collect the data from the speed/cadence sensor.

Likes2ridefar
01-10-2014, 12:35 PM
That's not a bad device if it has some logic in chosing routes. In the first year of ownership of my Edge 705, I gave up on it's routing because it would guide me to roads that were the worst for cycling when semi-parallel options w/ less traffic were available. Granted, that could have been simply a function of me "not doing it right"

in my experience the 810 was not much better when routing on the fly, but pre-planned worked a charm.

Wish this had been available when I bought the 810. I havent used a sensor for years with my various garmins. But unlike most here I could care less how fast or far I'm going, and have a rough idea of cadence without seeing a #.

in the dc rainmaker review he mentions it works with HR but in the tables below on the same review it states otherwise.

Also, I wonder if you can load other maps to it other than the cycling map. I've purchased topography for hiking as well as garmin city navigator...

DfCas
01-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Note that the touring uses GPS for altitude measurements, which will be wildly innacurate. I had an Edge 200 and it was not corrected after uploading to Garmin, as the route I took was not in the database.

The touring Plus, however, has a barometric altimeter which is much more accurate if you want to know elevation gain.

benb
01-10-2014, 03:05 PM
The neat thing will be the ability to generate round trip routes..

My garmin can't even handle a round-trip that I have pre-planned in the computer correctly. I have to make an out route and in route or it will go haywire when navigating.

Do the edge 800/810, etc.. handle round trip routes well?

Alan
01-11-2014, 06:36 AM
I would buy an 800 while they are still cheap. I have seen 800 as low as $290. The firmware is very mature now and you can add ANT+ accessories later if you change your mind. Use one of the sites like ridewithgps or Garminconnect to plan your route and you are good.

Personally I don't see a lot of value in routing on the fly like a car gps or cell phone as most people are fairly picky about the type of roads they want to be on.

In any event don't buy the garmin maps. Use the open street maps which are very easy to create. DC Rainmaker has great instructions on how to create and download a map.

Alan

sam.g
01-15-2014, 12:33 PM
For a touring cyclist, it basically has what I need.

Anyone know where the best price is for the "plus" model with the barometric elevation? It seems all the usual on-line retailers offer it at list price.

Sam in Cincy

alexstar
01-15-2014, 12:59 PM
It can be had on eBay for a few bucks off, but not much. I'm going to pay retail from a shop who will stand behind the product in case there are any issues.

sam.g
01-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Good plan! For just a few bucks more well worth buying at LBS.

AJosiahK
01-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Very cool units, does everything your 800 or 810 does without the race/training attributes. Pretty much what I use my 800 for, and cheaper!

biker72
01-24-2014, 11:08 AM
I've had one now for almost 2 weeks. I haven't investigated all the options yet but so far this unit does everything I need.

No heart rate or cadence needed just need to know where I'm at, speed and distance.